• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New golfer, did I make the right purchase?

Looks like I am making another purchase soon haha.

So what is then recommended as a distance driver?

No reason you can't get the girls out to play. Fun for the whole family. My wife, 3 sons, and 3 grandkids all play. Mostly just casual to have fun outdoors. That said, I do get out for more serious competition.

I agree with the add a Leopard suggestion. I prefer a 150g Champion Leopard. The Boss may be too fast for you and in reality your distance and accuracy will suffer.

The Roc is one of the best selling discs for a reason. Its a good solid mid range. With practice and good technique you should be able to reach 300ft with it. The Roc has great versatility too and can shape many different lines.

Putt with a putter. A putter in the right hands, not mine, can get to that 300ft mark. Most times under 100ft I'll use my putter for the upshot.

Good luck

Looks like I am making another purchase soon haha.

So what is then recommended as a distance driver?

I think the point that others are trying to make is that, as a new player, you don't NEED a distance driver. You need to develop good form and become comfortable with "fairway" drivers in the speed 7-8-9 range before trying to used a speed 13 driver like the boss. Stick with the teebird you have, because you should be able to throw 300+ with practice. If anything, maybe try something more UNDERstable in the same range as the teebird (maybe a leopard, maybe a sidewinder) to cover more types of shots.

As a possible real-world indication of how/why the Blizzard Boss is a poor choice for a beginner...they account for about half of all the discs I found on the course this year, and I feel this tells the tale of new players buying into the "I need Speed 13" hype...

Thank you for the responses and help.

I am going to try my best to practice this weekend down here in south florida.

Winds early in the morning between 7-9am will be around 15 mph once 10am hits it is going to be around 20-22 mph.

Is it worth even trying to practice tomorrow with those winds?

Thank you for the responses and help.

I am going to try my best to practice this weekend down here in south florida.

Winds early in the morning between 7-9am will be around 15 mph once 10am hits it is going to be around 20-22 mph.

Is it worth even trying to practice tomorrow with those winds?

Absolutely, you will be able to see first hand how your discs fly in a tail wind, head wind, and cross wind.

Welcome to the sport, just a few random pointers:
- Once you get the discs to follow the manufacturer flight paths, your form is decent enough, so overstable and understable discs will do what they are "supposed" to do.
- Ideally, you want to throw discs straight (yes, there are calls for dogleg shots). If you're playing in wooded areas, there are tight fairways, and you need straight shots. High speed discs often have strong fades at the end. In your training, make sure you are able to throw your mid-range and fairway drivers straight.
- Learn to love putters. I played for over a year, with a putter that I got because I liked the name. Make sure your in the circle putter feels great in your hand. Then go after putters for your up-shots and off the tee (may need to be premium plastic). I try to play a putter only round on a regular basis. Field work with putters will translate to distance on your drivers as well.
- You can buy discs on amazon, but maybe not the best place to get reviews. This forum is a good place to learn about discs. Innova x-outs (other companies have them as well) that have a heavy discount. If you know the mold you want, want to try new molds, etc - it's an economical way to go.

Also is there any disc golfers down here in south florida??

Which part of South Florida? I've been in Miami for a few months and would be willing to show you some courses I'm familiar with, or at least meet up and play a non-loner round.