• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] new md3

I just picked up an x-out c line MD3 recently and it's much more straight than I was hoping (weird to say, right?). On a pretty big hyzer line, it flips up and over slightly, with a long smooth anhyzer flight. Powered down slightly, it goes dead straight and doesn't come out of it. Reminds me of a Mako/Buzzz SS kind of flight more than a Roc/Buzzz. Did I get a mutant?

I would buy four instantly. I love my MD3, but that OS mid slot is still hard to fill. Justice and Verdict are glideless bricks, even the 2015 retooled Prodigy M1 is just straight to OS, the Buzz OS was good, but didn't click too well for me, and the MD3 (while I love the disc) will flip up towards flat when thrown on a hard high hyzer line. I love the S-Line MD3s, but wish I could find one that would hold the released hyzer angle all the way through.

Have you tried a Discraft Hornet? I just got one and am still working with it. It is overstable and doesn't fight out of a hyzer, but it has just a little bit of glide that the Gator doesn't.

Have you tried a Discraft Hornet? I just got one and am still working with it. It is overstable and doesn't fight out of a hyzer, but it has just a little bit of glide that the Gator doesn't.

Oh man... I've tried Prodigy M1s (2013 and 2015 molds), MD3s (C, S, and Glow plastic), Gators, Wasps, Vectors, Hornets, Roc3s, BuzzzOS, Verdicts, Sobeks, you name it.

For OS mid slots, I'm just using an A3 and a Kaxe depending on distance. The M1 and MD3 are both still in the bag, but are both more straight to OS at best.

I was placing an order online and decided to add a C-Line MD3 to it. When it arrived the other day, I took it to the course for some work. My MD3 is light blue and 175g.

The MD3 has been called 'a Roc3 without the bead'. In terms of how it feels in the hand, that's not the case. Not only is the bottom different, but the top of the disc is different and FEELS different in the hand.

However, in terms of flight, the MD3 does fly very similarly (for me) to a my McBeth 3x Champion Roc3... straight with a fade at the end. The MD3 is a bit more understable out of the hand, which surprised me. But once I figured out how this thing flew, I was able to make some good shots with it. I had one throw that was straight with some dump fade at the end.

Another was a 150-ft. uphill throw into a gap (between two trees). I over-torqued a bit and it turned over some. But it fought out, flexed really nicely, and dropped to the ground three feet from the basket.

So the MD3 is (yet another) really good mid out there. If you like the flight of the Champ Roc3 but don't like the bead and the feel of the Roc3, the MD3 may be your answer. I doubt it will replace the Doss Ti Buzzz in my bag, but I might take something else out to put it in and work with it some more. If you've been thinking about the MD3, I encourage you (plural) to give it a shot.

I just bought 4 luster md3s and when they arrive I will give my verdict on them! Might even film some comparison between 10 yr buzzz, buzzz, roc, roc3, c line Md3, and luster md3 since I have all available.

I wouldn't call the new lusters OS, I would call them true to the flight numbers and more HSS (which could make someone with lower arm speed think they are more OS) when compared to your run of the mill MD3.

Last edited:
I got my two luster MD3s in the mail today. Both are max weight and very flat. I went out during my lunch break today and threw them next to a fresh glow MD3, and a metal flake MD3 that has been in my bag for a while. The lusters showed no turn (had the same HSS as the glow) but a healthy fade. They were consistently finishing 10-15 feet left of the glow on the same line. The metal flake is just dead straight. I think these Lusters are exactly what I have been wanting this disc to be. Very happy with them. Now, I just need some wind to really put them to the test.

Got in more throws today and one thing occurred to me: if you had ever wanted a disc that flies like a 2nd run FD, but in midrange format, this might very well be it. At least for me.

Again, I cant with good conscience call this disc OVERstable. It is very much stable yes, and will have decent fade if you give it room to do so. But I was shooting even tunnel shots with this, like 60-70 meter shots with only a little drift left at the end (RHBH). My definition of OVERstable is a disc that would not allow for this, but would start to move left very much earlier in the flight, with the fade accentuating as it moves down the fairway. This is more like "hold the line (no matter how hard or what wind), then only at the final 20% start to fade out some if there is room"

I'm late to the metal flake md3 bandwagon but got out today with one and a luster md3. I loved the metal flake, straight with minor fade. Almost canned an ace on its third throw. The luster definitely had more fade to it. I'm 100% ok with it not being crazy overstable, if that's what I'm needing I'll throw a zone or firebird depending on distance. Straight with a healthy reliable fade is about as beefy as I like to get with mids and the luster will fill that role just fine.

:D on accent. Are you saying its Finnish or what? I work in a american english speaking environment and try to use colloqualisms like a native. Was a student of english philology for major way back for 5 years. Read almost exclusively in English. Its my other language I think in, if that makes sense, you know? :) Appreciate any feedback. Probably going to do more of these whenever i get a new mold/plastic in my hands.

I really wanted to like the MD3 as it is marked as a Stable to OS mid and it feels a lot like my beloved Auroras. I've given several different plastic types a chance over the last 8 months or so, but have given up and returned to Rocs.

What I've tried:
2x CMD3 stock stamp
1x SMD3 swirly
1x Flat/Glow CMD3
1x Luster CMD3

My favorite by far were the stock stamp CMD3. They both started off stable/overstable and flew much like a heavy DX Roc out of the box. The first one I owned instantly made the bag, but wore in to straight rather quickly for a premium plastic disc. I heard about the glow flat tops and that they were supposedly more OS, so I purchased one to replace, and boy was that wrong. The first throw out of the box, on a slight hyzer, flipped and glided before a tiny bit of fade. Each throw after that was the same, and after only a handful of tries, this disc went on the shelf.

I then grabbed another stock CMD3, and really liked it, but just like the original, it was losing its extra stability rather quickly. So I heard about and purchased a luster plastic CMD3, and just like the Glow, it had discernible turn at high speed. I was thinking it could be some OAT on my end, but my Auroras don't turn unless I want them to, and they're beaten to understable at this point.

TL;DR
I really wanted to like this disc because it feels great, but I can't keep spending near $20 on discs that are supposed to be the "most os run yet" only to find my stock runs to out-OS them. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like an MD4 is needed.. hopefully it will feel as good as the MD3.

I really wanted to like the MD3 as it is marked as a Stable to OS mid and it feels a lot like my beloved Auroras. I've given several different plastic types a chance over the last 8 months or so, but have given up and returned to Rocs.

What I've tried:
2x CMD3 stock stamp
1x SMD3 swirly
1x Flat/Glow CMD3
1x Luster CMD3

My favorite by far were the stock stamp CMD3. They both started off stable/overstable and flew much like a heavy DX Roc out of the box. The first one I owned instantly made the bag, but wore in to straight rather quickly for a premium plastic disc. I heard about the glow flat tops and that they were supposedly more OS, so I purchased one to replace, and boy was that wrong. The first throw out of the box, on a slight hyzer, flipped and glided before a tiny bit of fade. Each throw after that was the same, and after only a handful of tries, this disc went on the shelf.

I then grabbed another stock CMD3, and really liked it, but just like the original, it was losing its extra stability rather quickly. So I heard about and purchased a luster plastic CMD3, and just like the Glow, it had discernible turn at high speed. I was thinking it could be some OAT on my end, but my Auroras don't turn unless I want them to, and they're beaten to understable at this point.

TL;DR
I really wanted to like this disc because it feels great, but I can't keep spending near $20 on discs that are supposed to be the "most os run yet" only to find my stock runs to out-OS them. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like an MD4 is needed.. hopefully it will feel as good as the MD3.

My Luster C-MD3 is definitely the most OS MD3 that I've owned, I have several S-Line/Swirly that are just straight shooters with a decent fade in the tail, but can still be turned over with power. The 2x C-Lines I have don't have the turn, but are still not super beefy. However, the Luster is noticeably more toothy. It flies just like the flight numbers indicate. A perfect 5/5/0/3. It made the bag immediately.

I was disappointed in the glow MD3s as well when I first threw one, expecting it to be like a beefy Roc. I've now thrown at least 8 different ones and every one is the same- dead straight with a slight fade at the finish. It is pretty much like a "beefy" Buzzz for me, I can throw it hard with a hyzer release, it will pop up to flat and just cruise before it drifts left (RHBH) as it slows down.

The C lines for me have been a little more overstable, not as much glide, and typically more domey. I don't like them as much because of the dome.

Lusters have been a good addition for my bag, they have all been flat and firmer than the glows with noticeably more fade at the finish. They aren't very similar to a fresh Roc in fade in my opinion.

P Line might be my favorite version though. Flat and firm and laser straight. Thrown with the slightest bit of hyzer they pop up and glide forever.

I'm throwing them about 325-345ft on golf lines. I can get more distance with more height, but don't usually push them much more than 360, unless I'm just messing around.

All that said- if you want to unload any glows or beat up P lines, hit me up. :)

I think Swirly S-Line and Luster are my favorites. The Swirly S-Line is SO damn workable on multiple lines - from anhyzer to flat, flat-to-flex, hyzerflip-straight, or powered-down hyzer lines. The Luster is just a solid overstable mid. It sticks to that hyzer/flat release angle and rides it with a solid fade when it slows down. Much, much closer (if not hitting the numbers) to the flight rating than other releases. The S-S-Lines are great for how they fly, but they're closer to a 5/5/-.5/2 The Lusters fly dead straight, then start to bite down and eat up the fade. For me, easily as overstable as a fresh Roc or Roc3, but feels better in my hand.

It could just be confirmation bias as I was closely tied to Discraft's employees in my early DG years and developed a chip on my shoulder for Innova, but somehow I can separate Discmania as a separate company. Anyway, the Luster MD3s fly like my C-Roc3s, and my S-S-MD3s fly like a seasoned Roc. So I'm in a good spot. :D

The Swirly I threw was just a single throw, I didn't really get a feel for it but I could tell it didn't have the fade I was looking for.

I can totally see the allure of the disc. If mine didn't wear in so quickly and I could find a beefy version of it I would definitely make it work.

I know I should not, but I have picked up a few just to test out. I have been playing long enough where I just need to settle down and be content with what I have. For the most part I have because most the discs currently in my bag have the history to support that they are indeed what I want to throw for a particular shot.

For this particular spot I am using a Verdict. Actually, until recently I was using the Truth, specifically the older BioFuzion and newer EMac Truths, but while they were perfect at moderate power, they became a little unreliable when powering them for distance. However, the Verdicts were not as overstable as I was hoping they would be so they could be paired with the Truths. It turns out, they are near perfect for what I wanted the Truths to be. They hold a decently straight line with moderate power, but really excel when powered up.

I have numerous Verdicts, always for my obsession with having enough back-ups for practice, so I had no intention of using anything else.

Of course a friend put a MD3 in my hand, and assuming it was overstable, I threw a testing flight acting like it was. Instead of holding straight and then having a massive dumping fade, it held the anhyzer almost all the way and nearly aced a left to right tunnel shot. You know, once you almost ace with a disc, you assume that it must be the right disc for you.

Since then I picked up a Glow C, Metal Flake, and production C. Due to my 90% commitment to throw the Verdict, plus life getting the better of me and drastically reducing how often I can throw, I still only have limited throws with them. What I have seen is that they are just as straight and stable as my Verdict, but have almost no fade. That means if I miss my intended line, which occasionally happens, they stay right of the target, whereas the Verdict, with its more pronounced fade, is more likely to correct itself at the end. I also think the Verdict has better glide, but this is only against limited throws.

So, I have been watching here and waiting for the definitive reasons that I should convert over.

Latest posts