• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New putter advice

Try a Magic, or a Summit if you want really low profile. If I didn't have such a love affair with Gateway putters, I would use a Summit in Vibram's medium X-link rubber awesomeness.

I bought 5 classic judge misprints for $45 at DD. I'm really liking them. Low profile like a pure but with a bead. Flys a lot straighter then I thought it would.

Go with anything Gateway, because of their 'misprint' deals. You can call them or e-mail them, ask them exactly what you're looking for.. color, weight, mold, feel, and they'll send you their 'misprints' for $8 a piece in their package deals. Trust me, this is the way to go. Latitude, Innova, MVP, Discraft are all good.. but putters are the one disc that you need multiples of for practice, and you can't get cheap package deals from anyone but gateway.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17179

Trust me dude, I don't even throw Gateway, but advise everyone that asks to go with Gateway putters because you can get them so cheap. Every company has good discs, but with putters it's important to have at least 3-10 of the exact same disc in the weight/color/mold/feel you want.. And gateway is the only company that you can call/email and get a package deal like that.. Do it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't even start this thread, but I read this and snagged a 3 putter set on eBay for $25 shipped. They also said if you pay within 3 days you get a bonus disc! Not too shabby!

Magnet fan here. I've used magics, a wizard and an ion recently. None of those worked all that well.
Got two judges from a member here, and now my magnet gets little use.

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't even start this thread, but I read this and snagged a 3 putter set on eBay for $25 shipped. They also said if you pay within 3 days you get a bonus disc! Not too shabby!

Not sure if they still do the bonus disc thing, but it's still an amazing deal no matter what. I did one package that me and a friend split, got a E-HPP Wizard in it I liked the feel of, so I asked for a bunch more. E-HPP retails for 15 bucks, I got them for $8. I highly suggest calling/emailing and asking for EXACTLY what you want, rather than just getting one of their e-bay deals.

If you don't like soft discs and like the Magnet Pro-D plastic, get a DGA Reef. Same exact mold as the APX but made in the Pro-D plastic by DGA. They sell for very cheap on here. Just search for em.

Thanks for all the advice guys! This is my first thread on here, and you guys have really solidified my faith in this site. I just played a round with my buddy's SS Wizard the other day and I really liked it :thmbup:. I think I will try the pure as well since so many of you speak so highly of it! I really don't have any retailers that have a big selection of discs near me (just a bike shop with nothing but Innova), so this was my best option to get an idea of what to try.

The only Innova putter I'd suggest for you is the XD, but before you do that, keep trying Gateway putters. If the Wizard, which is one of the most popular putters out there, doesn't work for you, but you like the feel of the Gateway plastic, try a Voodoo or a Magic. If you're willing to spend $15+ for an extremely durable putter, take a look at the Vibram Ridge and the Vibram Summit, and start with the "medium" rubber instead of "firm" or "soft." My personal preference changes between Ridge and the Voodoo, but recently I've stuffed my bag with Voodoos because Vibram discs have been scarce at my local retailers.

Last edited:
I like lower profile putters myself and I am push putter. I've only ever used three different molds since I started playing. My first putter was the XD which I had good success with and it felt great in my hand, but it sucked in the wind and was prone to insane roll aways. I switched to SS Magics and used those for about six months. They are an incredibly straight flyer but like the XD they don't do well in the wind. I then found the Yeti Pro which isn't as low as some putters but due to the sunken flight plate it still has a nice feel in the hand. They were exactly what I was looking for in a putter, I've been using them for two years now and they have instilled confidence in my putting and are a consistent mold. Like others have said the Gateway putters are very nice and they make a plastic for every taste. Whatever you choose buy a stack and practice your butt off and stick with your putter.

I'm surprised no-one has said MVP Anode. It's beadless, fairly low profile and dead straight (or even a tiny bit understable). I've tried various Aviar's, the Vibram VP and a couple of Discraft putters back in the day, and nothing has given me the confidence of the Anode putting, on approach or on the tee.

As i have read many times, you need to go to a disc shop and handle many different putters and try one that feels best to you. You will get many different answers because everyone has their own feel for a putter they are looking for. But for me I have had many different putters and liked the Yeti last year. But i continued to look for a putter that was shallow rimmed and flew straight because I have small hands. I then came accrossed the perfect putter for me, it is the Spike by Lat 64. I have both eze, and zero plastic. Eze being my putter and soft zero for approaches. Good luck finding the best putter for you.

I'm still loving the Pure. Feels like a mid and RGL plastic gives you a great upshot/approach option.

I'm surprised no-one has said MVP Anode. It's beadless, fairly low profile and dead straight (or even a tiny bit understable). I've tried various Aviar's, the Vibram VP and a couple of Discraft putters back in the day, and nothing has given me the confidence of the Anode putting, on approach or on the tee.

The Anode shares the same core as the Ion. Neither of them are really low profile. The Magic's profile feels a little lower than the Anode, and it's dead straight, which is why I suggested it to the OP.

Just to update the thread, I received my three pack of Gateway putters from eBay and they still give you the bonus disc!!! I also bought an eraser wizard to round out the group.

Just to update the thread, I received my three pack of Gateway putters from eBay and they still give you the bonus disc!!! I also bought an eraser wizard to round out the group.

Welcome to the awesomeness of Gateway.

Latest posts