• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New 'round here and to disc golf

H.R HukkinStuff

Par Member
Hello everyone. Recently joined the site and am new to disc golf in general. I was camping at Whistlers Bend in Oregon and met some fellas that have been playing for a while. Anyway. I played a round and have come to realize that I've been missing out. :doh: Got a decent deal on some discs from one of the guys, but apparently they are not the best type of discs I should be using as a beginner. Planning on checking out the local shop come payday. Thought I'd introduce myself and say hello.

Welcome to the site and to the game buddy! Tons of awesome information here and smart people who can help you out. What kind of discs did you end up with?

Welcome to DGCR and to the sport! It's great to see new faces! Soon you be one of us addicts who have an insatiable need to play and talk about disc golf. It's fun though!

I'm curious as to the plastics you got as well? I was going to recommend a Buzz, but I'm biased and a Comet will suit you perfectly. I'd recommend getting a Leopard too!

Good luck!

Welcome

Welcome... Hope you continue to enjoy the sport... Have Fun.

My tips as a beginner, and for a beginner.

Stay away from Distance drivers at first.. more than likely they all will hook left.

Find a Mid-range you like, Comet, Buzz ect, when just starting to play any one will be as good as the other.. don't get caught up in which one is best, everyone has their preference.

When you buy your fist disc bag, buy one bigger than you think you'll need, trust me on this one.. those plastic disc will accumulate faster than you think.

Find a field to practice in, Field practice even if just done occasionally will help.

Play with others better than yourself, watch their technique.. if you have a local league, that might be a great place to start, I've started playing in one and we have a weekly tournament it's very casual and newbies are welcomed.

Most important have FUN.. at times it may seem frustrating, but as a newbie progress will come fast.

The list could go on and I'm sure others will offer their advice...

OHH one more thing BUG SPRAY..

Love the user name! :hfive:

Also, I too recommend a comet and a putter.

I'm also very new to this game and welcome to the addiction. I will second the comments on get a bag BIGGER than you think, I'm up to 15 discs in a very short time. Lost my first disc a couple of weeks ago (Skeeter), sad time I must say BUT more reason to go get more discs. LOL I have found the 150g Leopard as a great driver and a Mako for my midrange and an Aviar as my putter. Went and bought 6 used Leopards and I sling them every chance I get on my 2 acres I live on. Practice is what it is all about and have went from 200 feet throws that were horrible to 250 foot throws that are getting real consistent accuracy wise. I have learned a lot from this site and also youtube to help my technique.

Welcome...

You have no idea what's in store for you... it's crazy fun.

I'll be a little more generic in my advise... you'll want to start with "understable" discs which is to say those that tend to go the opposite direction of the normal fade to left for right handers or fade to the right for lefties.

These are usually marked with NEGATIVE numbers in the 3rd position on many discs. These will "turn over" when thrown hard or simply fly straighter for those starting out without much power. As you get better, you'll move away from these to more "stable" discs.

So yeah, Leopards, Kites, Roadrunners from Innova will do you well and Comets, Stratus, Buzz will suffice for Discraft which is usually all you'll find at local stores. If you buy online, then there are tons of other options...

Welcome and enjoy!

I'd suggest that you go to the shop just to pick their brain and feel all the different molds they have available. Being new to the sport I wouldn't suggest starting with really wide rimmed, hard to control discs. After you find the discs that feel good in your hand (especially a putter), come back to the DGCR Market Place forum and buy a new/used disc from a fellow member at a greatly reduced price. Used discs are better than new IMO. New discs always break in and season into a different flight pattern and if in better plastics that they will maintain those flight characteristics for a long time. Buying retail discs is like buying a new car where the car is instantly worth thousands less the second you drive it off the lot.

Also, check out Disc Golf Review forum for excellent technique and top notch forum advice as well.

Welcome to the greatest addiction in the world.

Guard your wallet well. Its way too much fun buying new discs.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Since I was introduced a couple weeks ago, I've been burning up the forum reading different stuff and watching the videos on the tube. Have "learned" quite a bit from here, but I know in reality the only way to really "learn" is to get out there and huk. As far as the discs I bought goes like this.. 4 for $15 Disccraft Z Put'r. Beast, Starfire and a Destroyer. From what I've researched on my own, the Destroyer should come outta my bag right now. It's way above my skill level. The beast and Starfire are the closest to my skill level, but may be a bit out of reach yet. I appreciate the advise everyone has given me. Hope to keep learning and possibly seeing some of you out on the course.

Edit: My bag is just an fishing tackle bag that discs fit perfectly in. Disc only I could prolly fit 12-15 in it. It works for now. Holds my few discs and a couple drinks.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Since I was introduced a couple weeks ago, I've been burning up the forum reading different stuff and watching the videos on the tube. Have "learned" quite a bit from here, but I know in reality the only way to really "learn" is to get out there and huk. As far as the discs I bought goes like this.. 4 for $15 Disccraft Z Put'r. Beast, Starfire and a Destroyer. From what I've researched on my own, the Destroyer should come outta my bag right now. It's way above my skill level. The beast and Starfire are the closest to my skill level, but may be a bit out of reach yet. I appreciate the advise everyone has given me. Hope to keep learning and possibly seeing some of you out on the course.

Edit: My bag is just an fishing tackle bag that discs fit perfectly in. Disc only I could prolly fit 12-15 in it. It works for now. Holds my few discs and a couple drinks.

The starfire is going to be pretty overstable for you, and it is a bit fast... it will hook hard on you. The beast is a bit fast for you too. I'd recommend getting a leopard (like others have recommended) and a mid like a buzzz or comet.

I'm so new to the sport that my disc haven't even arrived yet so I won't try to give a bunch advise other than keep picking the brains of the guys here with experience and check out the great how to videos on the DGA web site. Oh, and I found that the www.DiscGolfCenter.com site is a great resource to research and compare characteristics of different disc. They also are a sponsors of this site and great folks to deal with.

Have fun.

When you buy your fist disc bag, buy one bigger than you think you'll need, trust me on this one.. those plastic disc will accumulate faster than you think.

I wish someone would have told me this when I bought my first bag...:wall::wall:

I now have to carry my bag with 13 discs and then I have 9 others I carry in my Jeep as random swap outs or depending on the course... definitely need to upgrade the bag..

Latest posts