• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New way to compare discs: the Flight Analyzer

Would be a good tool, if the ratings were reliable, and calculated, not just descriptive.

I asked the Flight Analyzer to confirm that the Rattler is the best specialty disc ever made. It worked about as well as asking my cat to type this message.

After that epic failure I think the Flight Analyzer owes me something, winning lottery numbers maybe, something. I will never get back those few moments.

Mark Ellis said:
I asked the Flight Analyzer to confirm that the Rattler is the best specialty disc ever made. It worked about as well as asking my cat to type this message.
cat%2520typing.jpg

Yeah, I like the physics-based simulator I wrote much better, since it allows you to change the speed, hyzer angle, nose angle, altitude, wind, etc., and see how a disc behaves under all conditions.

I would put mine online, if I could get some reliable wind tunnel data.

Frank Delicious said:
how are the lines charted? Are they just taken from the companies websites or what?

Looks like something I've done before. Negative turn first moves disc right and fade brings it back left. Speed and glide then determine how far the disc goes.

y'all just have no fuckin appreciation for anything :)

well in addition to timg, our guy at DN, whoever built (c'mon hyzerhook, you built this didn't you?) this simulator.... that totals THREE competent developers in all of disc golf. we're moving up!!

great foundation. all my questions on this get into proprietary info, so i won't even ask. having chased this exact application before (actually pretty close on a few of the things going on with rendering) i think it's a very well-done piece of work. dynamically-rendered flight paths based on flight numbers. no complications. flat optimum throw data comparison.. good stuff.

Frank Delicious said:
how are the lines charted? Are they just taken from the companies websites or what?

The lines are charted dynamically using a formula that builds it based on the flight ratings.

Leopard said:
y'all just have no fuckin appreciation for anything :)

well in addition to timg, our guy at DN, whoever built (c'mon hyzerhook, you built this didn't you?) this simulator.... that totals THREE competent developers in all of disc golf. we're moving up!!

great foundation. all my questions on this get into proprietary info, so i won't even ask. having chased this exact application before (actually pretty close on a few of the things going on with rendering) i think it's a very well-done piece of work. dynamically-rendered flight paths based on flight numbers. no complications. flat optimum throw data comparison.. good stuff.

Me? Built it? Yeah :\

So Marks cat ain't a genius :)

Sorry i don't think i passed enough gas to call the shots i took wind tunnel measurements Jhern :) Reliable? Who knows?

Mark Ellis said:

After that epic failure I think the Flight Analyzer owes me something, winning lottery numbers maybe, something. I will never get back those few moments.

Yeah, challenger is the only discraft putter on there.

Keep it up, those measurements and flight paths look close to me when thrown flat and in calm conditions.

Wouldn't distance potential/speed be better determined by a disc's rim width? For example, the simulator shows the speed 14 King (2.3cm rim) flying further than the speed 13 Boss (2.5cm rim). I like my Kings but Bosses are faster and are consistantly longer for me.

I used speed and glide to determine distance potential. I suppose there are other ways to do it, such as using the rim width, or calculating that the high speed turn would add some distance. It is also possible that Westside doesn't use exactly the same criteria as Innova when determining their flight ratings.

In any case, it is much easier for me to use the provided disc ratings than to find the rim width of every disc.

rim width isn't the dominating factor in distance potential, I agree with hyzerhook.

I still find it a bit odd he tried to claim he found it on redditt instead of just saying "yo I made a thing, check it out".

I apologize for that; it was a bad move on my part. I thought that if I posted it saying that I made it people would feel like I was spamming it. And that posing as a user of the tool would add credibility. It turns out that I accomplished the opposite of what I intended.

hyzerhook said:
I used speed and glide to determine distance potential. I suppose there are other ways to do it, such as using the rim width, or calculating that the high speed turn would add some distance. It is also possible that Westside doesn't use exactly the same criteria as Innova when determining their flight ratings.

In any case, it is much easier for me to use the provided disc ratings than to find the rim width of every disc.

Westside and Latitude 64 use similar to each other bigger numbers for speed than Innova. Gateway also differs from every other manufacturer.

Latest posts