• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New York Disc Golf

jdude

Hey, so this is my first post/thread on this site, so sorry if I'm putting it in the wrong place or anything.

I'll be going to Westchester County, NY, in mid-March (about a month from now), and I'd be interested in playing some disc golf while there.

It appears there are about 5 courses according to DGCR course lookup within 25 miles. Are any particularly recommended? Which will be open and playable during mid-March?

I'm a beginner (by skill level at least, although I've played DG for 5 years) so I really don't mind playing a so-called "pitch and putt." In fact it probably would be better to play an easier course since I haven't played in a while, I'm not that good to begin with, and I'll be playing with an absolute beginner.

Thanks in advance!

FDR State Park, Warwick, and Cranbury (CT) are all close and are well worth it. I only actually know Cranbury by reputation, but I have played FDR and Warwick and neither one will disappoint.

Warwick has two 18 hole courses on the property and the main course has 4 different ways to play since there are two teepads and two pin locations always in place. It's all fun and you can make it harder or easier. For options and one of the most fun courses to play, this is your best bet. Very well groomed and park maintained.

Cranbury is really fun as well and gorgeous. If you are looking to enjoy nature and see great landscape, go here.

Buzzys / browns point is the pitch and putt that is most worth playing near there, but with Warwick right there, you would be best off playing that.

FDR and Mt. Kisco (Leonard park) are 20min away from each other. Leonard park is really fun now because they've installed gorgeous stone/terraform teepads (before it was natural teepads). its a super wooded old school course thats one of the very first DG courses ever put in new england.

Cranbury, Norwalk CT is my local course and its fun and challenging (very wooded with a lot of tweener holes). There's a couple good restaurants that have some national acclaim near cranbury (valencia) so its always good to eat there after a round. There's also a weird little pitch and putt 9 hole course in Norwalk at oystershell park thats beside a river and right on the I95 (exit 15).

I haven't been to warwick yet but all the local guys say its one of the best courses in new england.

also near cranbury is veterans park in bridgeport CT which is a fun course with some challenging holes/options.

if you're willing to drive about an hour there's actually a lot interesting courses in the westchester/fairfield county CT areas.

if you're about to go to a course find the local Facebook page (for FDR and Kisco its named WEDGE) and if you post you're going to play there, there will be a lot of friendly locals who'll probably want to show you around. Cranbury Park also.

WeDGE Westchester Disc Golf Enthusiasts. Warwick is not far and if you have the time I would say it is a must. Beacon Glades is pretty beginner friendly, Cranbury is a great course, FDR has multiple pins but is a big arm course, Kisco just went thru redesign and tee pad upgrade, fun course good for beginners.

It seems like Mt. Kisco is best bet just due to proximity. I take it all these courses will be open and playable (assuming no more deep snow) about a month from now. Thanks a bunch to everyone who responded.

It is highly likely that there will still be snow and ice on the ground at the end of March in the Northeast.

Warwick is in NY. I don't think anyone said that NJ is in New England.

I mean. You are right. Neither are in New England. But for that matter neither is Arizona.

Eastern New York and Northern Jersey get lumped in with New England Disc Golf talk around here because we participate in nefa (New England Flying disc Association) events. http://nefa.com/

FDR and Mt. Kisco (Leonard park) are 20min away from each other. Leonard park is really fun now because they've installed gorgeous stone/terraform teepads (before it was natural teepads). its a super wooded old school course thats one of the very first DG courses ever put in new england.

Cranbury, Norwalk CT is my local course and its fun and challenging (very wooded with a lot of tweener holes). There's a couple good restaurants that have some national acclaim near cranbury (valencia) so its always good to eat there after a round. There's also a weird little pitch and putt 9 hole course in Norwalk at oystershell park thats beside a river and right on the I95 (exit 15).

I haven't been to warwick yet but all the local guys say its one of the best courses in new england.

also near cranbury is veterans park in bridgeport CT which is a fun course with some challenging holes/options.

if you're willing to drive about an hour there's actually a lot interesting courses in the westchester/fairfield county CT areas.

if you're about to go to a course find the local Facebook page (for FDR and Kisco its named WEDGE) and if you post you're going to play there, there will be a lot of friendly locals who'll probably want to show you around. Cranbury Park also.

Agreed. Leonard Park is one of the first courses ever, beginner friendly and well worth a visit. This was the first course I ever played that Ed Headrick designed also. I have not played it since 2012 when the original baskets were there which were cool and nostalgic but I heard the were replaced. It was an easy walk/cab from the train station and easy to get to from Grand Central if you are in Manhattan. FDR was a little harder to get to and from because I took a cab and the cab driver could not find the park to take me back to Mt Kisco so I got stranded for an hour. Warwick has two courses and a private course (not sure if this is still true but they would not allow me to play it because of maintenance issues?) across the street as well as Mahwah nearby. I liked Cranbury but maybe a little too technical and tight for a beginner but Veteran's Park in Bridgeport was really fun and beginner friendly. You can also easily take the train to Grand Central in Manhattan, walk to Penn Station and take the train to New Brunswick and walk or cab it to Rutgers which is also one of the original courses with great locals.

Sorry guys, but NY is not part of New England.

I get that NY isn't part of new england.

If you ever or have already started playing the local tournaments you'll see the NY/NJ ones are under the NEFA umbrella as explained above.

NEFA basically is the NorthEast regional bracket/organization like a college conference.

I was always a little confused to that as well, but local park team challenges and NEFA events have NY and NJ courses/tournaments under the NEFA umbrella. NEFA has a cool points system where you can qualify for the grand finals (this year its in Vermont) I heard it was a blast. So if you finish with enough points (by placing high in NEFA umbrella tournaments) you can play in the grand finals. Its a nice little extra incentive to be active and play well in your local tourneys.

Latest posts