• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie: Disc down? - driver input plz!

Beef Chief

I only recently got into this sport a little over 2 months ago. I've done a lot of research, watched videos, practiced etc. and improved TONS, which is awesome - but still a newbie compared to most of you guys.
Currently I've 2 Valks, a Wraith, Roc, and Voodoo. When I didn't know anything, I got a Wraith thinking I'd be awesome with it..WRONG:wall: I'd like some input on what driver would be good for me.
In recent weeks:
- Throwing my Valks consistently 300+ ft. Had my first 400 ft drive with one today! I've had some good drives w/ the Wraith, but I'm not consistent at all with it. I get both discs to turn over regularly, but the Valk is still kicking the Wraith's ass ~80% of the time!
- Throwing the Roc 270-315 consistently
All considered, do you think I have decent arm speed for a higher speed disc than the Valk?
Here's my thinking:
- Wraith too fast for me
- Continue to improve distance w/ Valk
- Trade Wraith for a spd 10 to work on
What do you guys think? I'd like to try for a Beast, SL, or possibly an Orc.... Thoughts? Any recommendations?
Your input is greatly appreciated!

If the wraith doesn't work for you, and you don't think it will in the future than get rid of it. Also what kind of plastic did you get it in? Pros are money in my opinion.

Yeah people love them. I can throw it well, but only like 1 out of 4 throws. It's in DX. Only disc I've had problems with, and it's also the fastest...

Try a Champ beast. Just remember that you have to season it first- it will start off just as beefy as a wraith sometimes, but give it a shot. Either that, or give a pro Wraith or Destroyer a shot in the 169g range.

Didn't see your post about it being DX. If you don't like DX, then you might not like Pro. I'd say try out a Beast or a Viking.

There are two options. Option 1 is that you do what we all do and add on an additional 75' to your D when self reporting online. Thats ok!! Its just that a 2 month player shouldn't be throwing discs 400'. It wouldn't be fair to the vets! If this is indeed the case (or maybe you did indeed throw 400' off a cliff), I would stick with the Valk, hone your midrange and putting game. 2 months is way to early to get caught up in the big ego big drive pissing contests. If you desperately need to buy another driver, make it a fairway drive like a teebird. Teebirds fit in the hand almost the same as a valk so they are very complimentary. Again, if you absolutely must buy something, a firebird may fit as well for the slow speed driver meathook.

Option 2, you are actually throwing an honest to god 400' after two months in the game. I'm going to be honest, flipping over wraiths isn't easy to a new player. Either you have extremely good release nose angle or you are getting a lot of OAT. Either way, stick with a wraith, you have the arm for it. 400' in two months tells me that you could probably be driving upwards of 500' with a wraith and some fine tuned mechanics. Get a star or a champ wraith though, you throw Valks well so you will just need it for huge bombs and headwind stuff; dx and pro will flip hardcore.

Right on, I'd really like to throw a Viking. I like the way it flies! It seems like a more stable Valk. I'd really like to try one out, but for my 2 next purchases(rough times) I'd like to see IF can improve my distance with a higher speed driver.

MNcyclone - Yeah he threw it 400ft ISH, or close. But that was once, and he couldn't repeat if you asked him to. I play with him, I told him the Wraith is to fast for him, he meathooks it or just doesnt get enough D... Im glad he posted here, I'v been preaching don't get into the ego trip of "I wantz longerz drivez." He has no fiarway driver. And 2 valks, I sugg sell the Wraith get a Leopard,Gizelle... Right now he is either using his Roc for longer holes he shouldn't be, or using a valk on a short hole..

Keep pushing the fairway drivers!!! :)

Browse the marketplace here for a couple of cheap fairway drivers. There was a brand newish Leo yesterday for $5 shipped. I got a couple of DX fairway drivers here $5 each within the last two weeks.

MNcyclone - Yeah he threw it 400ft ISH, or close. But that was once, and he couldn't repeat if you asked him to. I play with him, I told him the Wraith is to fast for him, he meathooks it or just doesnt get enough D... Im glad he posted here, I'v been preaching don't get into the ego trip of "I wantz longerz drivez." He has no fiarway driver. And 2 valks, I sugg sell the Wraith get a Leopard,Gizelle... Right now he is either using his Roc for longer holes he shouldn't be, or using a valk on a short hole..

Keep pushing the fairway drivers!!! :)

You know how faaaar my Valk drive went, arsehole. I let you use one and you had maybe your best drive on that hole I f****d up on.

I'm too POOR to buy a ****ing fairway. I know what fairway I want, and I'm trying to find a good speed driver. The Beast! And I'm trading in one for a Gazelle. Mmmkay.

Try a Champ beast. Just remember that you have to season it first- it will start off just as beefy as a wraith sometimes, but give it a shot. Either that, or give a pro Wraith or Destroyer a shot in the 169g range.

This +1

Since the Wraith is too much for you, stick with the Valk for distance. Grab Leopard and Teebird as they'll do different things for you. The Teebird will handle the wind much much better than the Leopard.

Grab Leopard and Teebird as they teach you better form than a high speed driver.

Fixed.

If you've been playing for only two months, no matter how far you throw, there is work to be done to improve your form.

Good info bro, ty. Still gonna stick with bombing(doing my best to) lower speeds first :D

I'm sure I'll get another Wraith later, but the beat-up/very slightly deformed one I have(soon to be had) arses me off. For now, and I think a Beast would be a better trade/buy for my skill.

Fixed.

If you've been playing for only two months, no matter how far you throw, there is work to be done to improve your form.

I agree. But isn't there a point where if you can throw a disc X' you can try a higher speed disc? I'm fine with the Valk! I just want to get better and learn more than one disc!!!

If you're just going for max d get something in the 160-165ish range. If you want good d and good control beat in an ESP surge.

There are two options. Option 1 is that you do what we all do and add on an additional 75' to your D when self reporting online. Thats ok!! Its just that a 2 month player shouldn't be throwing discs 400'. It wouldn't be fair to the vets! If this is indeed the case (or maybe you did indeed throw 400' off a cliff), I would stick with the Valk, hone your midrange and putting game. 2 months is way to early to get caught up in the big ego big drive pissing contests. If you desperately need to buy another driver, make it a fairway drive like a teebird. Teebirds fit in the hand almost the same as a valk so they are very complimentary. Again, if you absolutely must buy something, a firebird may fit as well for the slow speed driver meathook.

Option 2, you are actually throwing an honest to god 400' after two months in the game. I'm going to be honest, flipping over wraiths isn't easy to a new player. Either you have extremely good release nose angle or you are getting a lot of OAT. Either way, stick with a wraith, you have the arm for it. 400' in two months tells me that you could probably be driving upwards of 500' with a wraith and some fine tuned mechanics. Get a star or a champ wraith though, you throw Valks well so you will just need it for huge bombs and headwind stuff; dx and pro will flip hardcore.

I expected a dis earlier. No, I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's ass. I'm on this forum to learn, and yes I can throw(I need to work on release accuracy though). All my quoted drives have not been on a cliff or dowhill. I truly want accurate input, so I give accurate numbers. My 400 + w/ Valc (DX 171 zero wind)was uphill from the tee 370 to hole, whereafter it leveled out and landed 45-50 ft past the hole from the tee. BTW it was not accurate and landed way past the hole, deep in a thornbush and definitely wasn't a good lie. Happy?

If you're just going for max d get something in the 160-165ish range. If you want good d and good control beat in an ESP surge.

The Surge SS intrigues me(not the ESP, not yet), but I'm just not sure if I want to jump to an 11 spd disc, even if maybe I can. I wanna max out my Valk, and mess with a good spd 10 sometimes too I think before I move up. Unless someone has something good to say about it for the semi-novice.

Destroyer? Jesus man that's @ 13... I'd love to try anything out, but I won't buy one and maybe find out I hate the beautiful thing, y'know? Ahhhh I want one.....I must get to where I can destroy a destroyer. Can I borrow? :D

Latest posts