• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie disc weight question!

The third video has some interesting points, in general shows an old study that proved lighter discs get released faster and go further (using no actual light weight discs, but all 165-175g discs), with a caveat that the person making the video doesn't think that means you should just go get light weight versions of your favorite drivers. NONE of the three videos you posted match/support your statement about light weight discs, "Is it the correct answer for beginner distance, also no.". In fact, if anything the videos leaned the opposite of that - lighter discs in general are released faster, and do get more distance, thrown backhand.

The first video LITERALLY says near the very end "are lightweight discs the correct answer for beginners, well no, it was a wash." But sure...

Do what works for you. If someone is content just having fun playing the sport at a recreational level I'm all for it. If you have low arm speed from being young, old, injured, etc and need light weight discs because they are easier to get up to speed, I'm all for it. I'm a master age disabled veteran who is forced to throw with my opposite hand. Do I bag lightweight discs, no. Did I spend tons of money trying them, yep. Was it a waste of time for me, yep. Do I throw over 400 feet now with max weight discs, also yes. Am I a good disc golfer, no because I can't putt left handed. lol But what do I know? I'm just trying to help a person who is throwing shorter than most of us can jump putt.

All I'm saying is that filling your bag with lightweight plastic as a beginner probably isn't the correct answer. And I stand by that. Especially in non-drivers. Controversial opinion but if you don't/can't throw 350 feet you probably shouldn't be bagging distance drivers yet as the angle needed to throw them far is probably creating bad form and robbing you of growth and distance potential (*exception there are some flight lines, especially forehand, where a distance driver is just better for the line and extreme stability and just works, include tomahawks and grenades in this exception as well). But just because you shouldn't, doesn't mean I care if you do. Have fun. You can probably get those fairways up to and beyond that 350 mark if you stick with them instead of trying to let the lightweight big dog eat early on in your disc golf journey.

If a disc is too heavy and too high speed for the thrower, even thrown nose down, it will dump hard left early (RHBH).

Exactly my experience. I threw a 173g Sidewinder (9 speed), a 164g Sidewinder, and a 150g Sidewinder side by side yesterday to see if my form change would change my success rate. The heavy version crashed left on every throw, while the medium version performed well about 75% of the time and the light version almost every throw. Moving down to a Leopard3 (7 speed), I can throw the heaviest version fairly well, but the middle weight version is more consistent for me. In mid-range discs, I can throw any weight pretty consistently.

So, I think the advice to stick with putters and maybe some mid-ranges is excellent. Work on form until you get around the 200' mark and then start moving up the flight chart to some friendly fairway drivers in lighter weights.

The first video LITERALLY says near the very end "are lightweight discs the correct answer for beginners, well no, it was a wash." But sure...

Do what works for you. If someone is content just having fun playing the sport at a recreational level I'm all for it. If you have low arm speed from being young, old, injured, etc and need light weight discs because they are easier to get up to speed, I'm all for it. I'm a master age disabled veteran who is forced to throw with my opposite hand. Do I bag lightweight discs, no. Did I spend tons of money trying them, yep. Was it a waste of time for me, yep. Do I throw over 400 feet now with max weight discs, also yes. Am I a good disc golfer, no because I can't putt left handed. lol But what do I know? I'm just trying to help a person who is throwing shorter than most of us can jump putt.

All I'm saying is that filling your bag with lightweight plastic as a beginner probably isn't the correct answer. And I stand by that. Especially in non-drivers. Controversial opinion but if you don't/can't throw 350 feet you probably shouldn't be bagging distance drivers yet as the angle needed to throw them far is probably creating bad form and robbing you of growth and distance potential (*exception there are some flight lines, especially forehand, where a distance driver is just better for the line and extreme stability and just works, include tomahawks and grenades in this exception as well). But just because you shouldn't, doesn't mean I care if you do. Have fun. You can probably get those fairways up to and beyond that 350 mark if you stick with them instead of trying to let the lightweight big dog eat early on in your disc golf journey.

I can only sit here and laugh at your comments...

"I watched some youtube video's from some internet personalities and... I'm definitely right on this."

There is SOOO much more to this subject.

And arguing that throwing lightweight discs makes no difference and then essentially saying everyone is dumb to throw lightweight discs is so silly.

If there is no difference between them, why would you wanna throw the heavier disc? You'd always want to throw the lighter disc. Its easier on your body. less strain to throw.
More light discs in the bag will make your pack lighter.

Most of the issues with disc weights and such with things like "forehanding big drivers" is all form issues and control issues.

If you need a nuke to forehand 180 feet, its a YOU issue, not a disc issue.
The reason people throw max weight overstable discs for forehands isn't cause they "got all dat powah" its cause their forehand is trash.
Yeah, it might play well on the course, but its trash.

I'll keep coaching disc golf over here with my bag that is almost half 150 class discs, you do you.
Your argument is just atrocious on why its stupid to throw 150 class discs.

I can only sit here and laugh at your comments...

"I watched some youtube video's from some internet personalities and... I'm definitely right on this."

There is SOOO much more to this subject.

And arguing that throwing lightweight discs makes no difference and then essentially saying everyone is dumb to throw lightweight discs is so silly.

If there is no difference between them, why would you wanna throw the heavier disc? You'd always want to throw the lighter disc. Its easier on your body. less strain to throw.
More light discs in the bag will make your pack lighter.

Most of the issues with disc weights and such with things like "forehanding big drivers" is all form issues and control issues.

If you need a nuke to forehand 180 feet, its a YOU issue, not a disc issue.
The reason people throw max weight overstable discs for forehands isn't cause they "got all dat powah" its cause their forehand is trash.
Yeah, it might play well on the course, but its trash.

I'll keep coaching disc golf over here with my bag that is almost half 150 class discs, you do you.
Your argument is just atrocious on why its stupid to throw 150 class discs.

Reading your comments is like trying to teach the intricacies of ski ball to a chimpanzee... A for effort, D- in execution, and though the game gets played, poop gets all over everything. Thanks for the entertainment though.

I never said anyone was dumb for throwing lightweight discs, you did. Reading comprehension is cool yo.

I also never claimed there was no difference between them. I said shaving 20 grams of weight can create on average a 5.5 mph increase in release velocity which in turn CAN lead to a potential of 36 feet of extra distance in a controlled environment. That's a difference mate. You must also factor in wind, elevation, and stability of disc to determine net gain. Base line arm speed matters as well. I will never argue that lighter discs aren't easier to throw, because they are. They require less effort and less power to get up to speed. Which is why I have always said younger players, older players, and those with injuries should certainly use them. I'm not sure why you are talking about forehanding Nukes 180 feet, but cool story I guess??? I just wouldn't recommend a distance driver for that shot in the first place, little lone a lightweight one that is harder to control. But if it works for someone, good for them.

I linked vides because dude asked for links. Not because I agree or disagree with them and included ones that made points on both sides of the argument. I could care less what mr internet man says on the issue.

You keep doing you. Be sure to link all your world titles.

All things considered, I usually order from OTB and i often see many different weight options for my selected disc and I'm always wondering, what's best for me but have to wonder, will a 10g - 15g difference really matter???
I have some experience and time under my belt... I'm not great for distance these days, 300' maybe. I almost exclusively top out at 170g for drivers, with most of them in the 155-167g range. I don't throw anything over a 9 (mostly haha).
My most thrown driver is a rhythm 7 5 -2 1

I get good results with the light ones, especially uphill. If it's windy I'd prefer to have a heavier disc.

If im buying a new mold typically I get a 165g. Then decide if I want lighter or heavier if I like it.

At 125' keep working that mako. You likely will get your best results from a neutral mid until you are getting it to 250' ish.. 170g is a good mid weight.

If you can stand the rim get a comet. They respond well to a low speed throw and will fly whatever line you put it on. Best advice I ever got on DGCR was to get one...

Last edited:
If the disc goes out, up, then dumps hard left (for RHBH), it's nose up. Particularly when you try different discs with essentially the same results.

If you can get a neutral disc to finish forward rather than dump, the angle is probably okay.
Definitely my situation for the most part, a gradual climb then a hard "left" finish❗

Last edited:
I was looking at various discs and was told that a DX Leopard is a great one for a beginner to use and after researching the Leopard line, I did find a 6 speed with a very low weight of 135g.
would that be a worthwhile addition to my humble collection?

As a new player and struggling with distance when driving (120 - 135 feet) I've been using a 9 and a 7 speed and getting very similar results.

I've not paid any attention to the weight but have read that the lightest of discs will be easiest to throw as long as wind is not a factor. Should I look for a really lightweight disk in order to get more distance as I will continue to work on my form?
I struggled for a while to understand how disc weight affects flight and distance. What I've found for me is weight doesn't matter. It's more about what feels "right" for your form and power. If it were me, I'd buy a 170+ version of a disc and a 160ish version of your 7 and 9 speeds and then go throw in a field. What you like will change as your form improves. Shut out all the noise. Folks make money by putting up "how to" videos. One guy will tell you hips don't matter, another will tell you hips are the most important. Just watch the pros in super slo mo and focus on one aspect to work on at a time.

If it were me, I'd buy a 170+ version of a disc and a 160ish version of your 7 and 9 speeds and then go throw in a field. What you like will change as your form improves.

^^^ This is excellent advice. You will probably end up bagging both versions (heavy and lighter weight) because of the different flights they give you. And someday you may outgrow one or both of them as you improve, or they will move into a different role for you.

Definitely my situation for the most part, a gradual climb then a hard "left" finish❗
That definitely sounds nose up, and kills distance. You need to try to get your disc out nice and flat - make sure that nose doesn't point upwards. Nose up let's the air hit the flight plate and back rim of the disc, and gets a ton of air drag, then also pushes it hard left early. Your disc can't cut through the air properly.

I was looking at various discs and was told that a DX Leopard is a great one for a beginner to use and after researching the Leopard line, I did find a 6 speed with a very low weight of 135g.
No. I'd shy away from a baseline DX Leo that is that lightweight. It's really worth it to pay the extra 8 bucks and get a premium plastic one. As for weight, I would advocate for a mixture of weights, that's what I have found works best. Leos are pretty straight to understable as it is, and aren't necessarily big distance discs, so I'd recommend getting one that is at least 150g if not heavier into max weight.

I think lighter weight discs really shine when you get faster, more stable versions. You're going to notice much more distance out of a 155g speed 12 disc versus a 175g one.

Now I do think you should have at least one max weight, premium plastic fast and stable disc, like a Destroyer, even for a beginner. It will make a great disc for you to use as a forehand roller or forehand/backhand flex shot from a standstill, or a skip shot, or that disc you pull out when the headwind is 40 mph and you need to go left. Plus, that disc will literally last you a lifetime, it will only beat in so much.

Also, as a new player, don't overlook the idea of a lighter putter as well as you're starting out. A 150g one might be too light, but something in the 165g or so range will give you a little extra pop and glide for putting.

Honestly, I'd keep working on the putters and midranges until you start getting good results and distance with those. I bought a "magic disc" early on and was able to make some really impressive throws (for me). Sadly, I didn't realize that the disc was only covering up my terrible form. My 2 cents worth would be to acquire a half dozen stable mid-ranges and do as much fieldwork with them as you can.

Oh, and I gave away the magic disc a couple of weeks ago after I figured out that it was actually trash.

As a beginner, before I even knew to look at weight, Leopard was my best disc, and I collected several $5 used ones. I just weighed them all - they were all 145-150g. Leopard is supposed to be a good beginner disc, and I would say anywhere in that 135-150g might work for you. I think the light weight discs are an individual thing, to like or dislike, and at what weight. I find 135g a bit too floaty - 145-150g seems to be my sweet spot. Also, I love the higher speed light weight discs - Terns, Fission Waves, Katanas… But, I recently got a light weight Escape and River, which are 9 and 7 speeds, and I don't like them nearly as well as I thought I would. Also, you will probably eventually see a common cycle - as you improve, and throw faster, the Leopard that is a great beginner disc, will likely become very flippy, and you won't like it as much. I can still hyzer my old Leopards, but I have to fight to find the right angle, which makes them harder to throw well, can hurt accuracy, and they don't get me the distance the higher speed stuff does. If I throw a Leopard flat and hard now, it will turn right and crash into a roller, and I have no control over where it rolls, so that is no good. After Leopard, I discovered 158g Latitude 64 Retro Diamonds, and I loved those things for a couple months, until they also became too flippy. I definitely recommend the Diamond as a nice beginner disc. At least for me, they liked to go straight, and glide straight. Just, if money is an issue, don't go crazy stocking up too many beginner discs, because if you keep working on your form, you will probably outgrow them. Also, it is Innova F2 Friday. Code "letthecatoutofthebag" with purchase of at least 3 discs gets you a free F2 Champion Leopard3. To me, the Leopard3 is more stable than the Leopard, so maybe one you try now, or grow into soon. Also, if they have a F2 DX Leopard in weight you want, they are only $6. You have to sign up for Innova e-mail to get the F2 freebie deal. F2 DX at $6 or F2 Pro at $8 are pretty great prices on new discs for beginners! I try out a lot of discs with F2 Friday deals. I have a lot of F2 discs now - a boring look - but I got a lot of discs I like throwing for cheap!

Good advice. I have a Thunderbird that works well for me in t

No. I'd shy away from a baseline DX Leo that is that lightweight. It's really worth it to pay the extra 8 bucks and get a premium plastic one. As for weight, I would advocate for a mixture of weights, that's what I have found works best. Leos are pretty straight to understable as it is, and aren't necessarily big distance discs, so I'd recommend getting one that is at least 150g if not heavier into max weight.

I think lighter weight discs really shine when you get faster, more stable versions. You're going to notice much more distance out of a 155g speed 12 disc versus a 175g one.

Now I do think you should have at least one max weight, premium plastic fast and stable disc, like a Destroyer, even for a beginner. It will make a great disc for you to use as a forehand roller or forehand/backhand flex shot from a standstill, or a skip shot, or that disc you pull out when the headwind is 40 mph and you need to go left. Plus, that disc will literally last you a lifetime, it will only beat in so much.

Also, as a new player, don't overlook the idea of a lighter putter as well as you're starting out. A 150g one might be too light, but something in the 165g or so range will give you a little extra pop and glide for putting.
I had a Star Destroyer that I found, no ink, and I happily traded it a little while back, with a guy I met at hole one. That thing was such a meat hook that I don't think I could ever throw it well. 100-150', and dump super hard left every time. I let 2-3 guys that throw further than me try it, and it dumped left on them, too. Not a beginner disc!

As a beginner, before I even knew to look at weight, Leopard was my best disc, and I collected several $5 used ones. I just weighed them all - they were all 145-150g. Leopard is supposed to be a good beginner disc, and I would say anywhere in that 135-150g might work for you. I think the light weight discs are an individual thing, to like or dislike, and at what weight. I find 135g a bit too floaty - 145-150g seems to be my sweet spot. Also, I love the higher speed light weight discs - Terns, Fission Waves, Katanas… But, I recently got a light weight Escape and River, which are 9 and 7 speeds, and I don't like them nearly as well as I thought I would. Also, you will probably eventually see a common cycle - as you improve, and throw faster, the Leopard that is a great beginner disc, will likely become very flippy, and you won't like it as much. I can still hyzer my old Leopards, but I have to fight to find the right angle, which makes them harder to throw well, can hurt accuracy, and they don't get me the distance the higher speed stuff does. If I throw a Leopard flat and hard now, it will turn right and crash into a roller, and I have no control over where it rolls, so that is no good. After Leopard, I discovered 158g Latitude 64 Retro Diamonds, and I loved those things for a couple months, until they also became too flippy. I definitely recommend the Diamond as a nice beginner disc. At least for me, they liked to go straight, and glide straight. Just, if money is an issue, don't go crazy stocking up too many beginner discs, because if you keep working on your form, you will probably outgrow them. Also, it is Innova F2 Friday. Code "letthecatoutofthebag" with purchase of at least 3 discs gets you a free F2 Champion Leopard3. To me, the Leopard3 is more stable than the Leopard, so maybe one you try now, or grow into soon. Also, if they have a F2 DX Leopard in weight you want, they are only $6. You have to sign up for Innova e-mail to get the F2 freebie deal. F2 DX at $6 or F2 Pro at $8 are pretty great prices on new discs for beginners! I try out a lot of discs with F2 Friday deals. I have a lot of F2 discs now - a boring look - but I got a lot of discs I like throwing for cheap!
My order 2 weeks ago, they stamped all 4 of my F2s "Happy Halloween", with Halloween pics. Was a nice variation! I already have a Champion Leopard3 and a DX Leopard3, but I might order 3 F2s, and get that free one just to help offset the $6 shipping, just in hopes they are still doing Halloween stamps!

I had a Star Destroyer that I found, no ink, and I happily traded it a little while back, with a guy I met at hole one. That thing was such a meat hook that I don't think I could ever throw it well. 100-150', and dump super hard left every time. I let 2-3 guys that throw further than me try it, and it dumped left on them, too. Not a beginner disc!
A disc that goes 150ft and no more and dumps left no matter what IS a useful disc for a very common shot. Also, the forehand roller shot from a standstill, the type of shot where you drop that roller shot literally right in front of you, is a very, very useful, crafty shot to have in the woods coming out of the shule. You're going to need as heavy and stable of a disc as possible to execute that shot. That shot doesn't require high arm speed, it just requires a very stable disc. Sometimes the arrow does matter.

Also, a flex line forehand from a standstill. Only way to execute that shot is with a meathook max weight. There are quite a few situational shots that require a utility type disc like I'm describing, and if all you have is a bag full of 150g speed 7 discs, you're missing out. Just like the guy with nothing but a bag full of 175g speed 13 discs is missing out as well.

A disc that goes 150ft and no more and dumps left no matter what IS a useful disc for a very common shot. Also, the forehand roller shot from a standstill, the type of shot where you drop that roller shot literally right in front of you, is a very, very useful, crafty shot to have in the woods coming out of the shule. You're going to need as heavy and stable of a disc as possible to execute that shot. That shot doesn't require high arm speed, it just requires a very stable disc. Sometimes the arrow does matter.

Also, a flex line forehand from a standstill. Only way to execute that shot is with a meathook max weight. There are quite a few situational shots that require a utility type disc like I'm describing, and if all you have is a bag full of 150g speed 7 discs, you're missing out. Just like the guy with nothing but a bag full of 175g speed 13 discs is missing out as well.

Agree with everything Nick said. I'll add that it's important that that meathook disc is truly overstable (not just overstable for your power level/release speed). Reason being that when faced with a strong headwind, that meathook (for you) can surprise you with a flip.

Think of the distinction as speed overstable vs true overstable. Classic example of a true overstable would be the Firebird.

My backhand has improved slightly, I've gained some distance (not what I would like) and my accuracy has improver, not lost discs last time out, haha!

I did purchase several 5 speeds, however last time out I was throwing a 7 for most all shots except for putting. Without looking at the weights, the 7 just feels heavier than say my 5 Mako but perhaps thats just "hand feel" and since it's always breezy in this area, I was thinking a higher number means better control.

I never tried throwing forehand since it just feels unnatural and I've been trying to improve technique without trying to master two different methods.

All things considered, I usually order from OTB and i often see many different weight options for my selected disc and I'm always wondering, what's best for me but have to wonder, will a 10g - 15g difference really matter???
This is what I have to say about disc weights.....my opinion, but based on using different weight discs.
1. Most videos discussing disc weights are by pro discers that can throw a 180 gram disc at 60 plus MPH. Like the disc should be thrown. They aren't going to see the difference those of us who throw slower see. Maybe the lighter disc flips for them = but they won't see a big difference since they can throw a disc the way it should be thrown.
2. I throw 42ish MPH (based on hand held radar gun). If I throw a 172 Kastaplast Falk (9 speed), it flies about 255 and takes a hard left fade (I'm RHBH). If I throw a 165 Falk, it flies about 280 and has a slight left fade. Total difference. And that was when I was first working on my backhand form with my instructor - I'm getting more distance now.

I now throw 160-165 8 and 9 speeds, 150-160 10 and 11 speeds, and I have a 137 gram 12 speed.

I have 3 MVP Waves (11 speed): one is 174, one 169, and one is 157. I also have MVP Volts (8 speed) in different weights. I test all my differnt weights in a field every two or three months. With the Waves; the 157 one goes the furthest for me and flies closest to the numbers. BUT, in a decent wind, I won't throw the disc as the wind will affect it too much. The 169 disc and 174 disc don't go as far as the 157 one and they fade harder; with the 174 one crashing the hardest.

So take that as you will, but my experience shows weight does make a difference when you have a slow arm speed.