• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie discs I need?

PRkilla

Bogey Member
As a newbie to this cool sport, what disc do I need?

So far I have..one putter, 2 mid-range & 5-6 drivers, fairway drivers..is their a difference between those two?

The 2 mid-range are different..fade.
The drivers vary as well with fades, speed & loft. I'm reading about that currently & of course trying them out on the course to see what effect it has.

Is that good for now, or should I pick up a few more to try out?

Thanks!

You need like 2-3 discs. Pretty neutral that you can make hyzer, flat, and anhyzer.

I have a few discs that are basically "fade discs", but they are extremely overstable. They would be horrible discs to learn with and i usually skip them or throw helix shots.

When half your bag is "well this one fades a bit more then that one and this one has crazy fade" that just means to me you have a bunch of discs beyond your power level you cant manipulate, making them useless for anything but fade shots, skips, s shots and wind. And having one for those wouldn't be to bad, but having a bunch is alot of overlap and temptation to throw discs far from your power level.

Oh and fairways used to be drivers back in the day. They are more easily controlled and get up to speed easier. And are easier to grip.

Last edited:
175-180g Comet. Build around that. Go forth. Stay away from 'Distance Drivers'. Nothing faster than a 'Fairway Driver'.

The best advice I got when really new was to stick to mid-range discs and putters. When starting out, distance drivers would just dump left at the end. The first discs that I got some nice glide out of were mid-ranges.

that's plenty, enjoy figuring out discs. That's a skill knowing what disc do before they are thrown. Work on creating extra spin, when you master spin control you can throw anything.

Right hand back hand
when u want hyzer( standard curve) start aim and throw them right.
when u want anyzer(reverse curve) start aim and throw them left.
stick to these 2, straight comes later.
use your body weight into the path of the throw.

Leopard is a nice fairway driver that is slightly understable.
Comet is another good disc to start with.
When you are ready for a distance driver, a good stater is a Valkyrie (only speed 9).

+1 for using the word "loft".

Get an Innova DX Leopard.

And a Discraft Hawk, unless you have a big arm.

I've posted this forum before, but I think it's PHENOMENAL advice for new players. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

The point is, get a few discs, learn them well, and then add stuff. Many people (including me) make the mistake of getting a ton of discs, then using the discs to cover up flaws in form. To me, the only real advantage to having lots of discs as a new player is that you have more practice material and don't have to spend so much time fetching discs on the practice field.

Get rid of any drivers and only throw mids like a Salient Antidote, light Comet, Meteor or Rocs. If you must throw a driver, try a dx Leopard or JLS.

I prefer a champion Leopard but that's a personal preference

Champion Leopard all the way. A 150g Champion Leopard. It goes far with minimal effort. It is forgiving of technique flaws while your figuring that out. It is very flexible on the different flight paths you can do with it. But it will still do most anything you need to in the beginning.

The Comet is highly regarded by many as a mid range to throw to teach better form.

Avoid discs with the words 'overstable' or 'Distance driver'.

Learn to throw you putters and mids straight and far- use YouTube for tips. Different discs won't make you instantly better, but they are fun to try.

It may help to tell us what you are throwing currently so.we can give suggestions

If I could go back 3 years ago, I would have ignored all advice except for this: "Get a stable putter like a 175g SS Wizard and just throw the hell out of it for a few months. Concentrate on throwing it straight, level, no more than 6-10ft off the ground. Once you're doing all that and getting distances out to 200-250, then you can move on to other discs."

175-180g Comet. Build around that. Go forth. Stay away from 'Distance Drivers'. Nothing faster than a 'Fairway Driver'.

^^THIS^^

If I could go back 3 years ago, I would have ignored all advice except for this: "Get a stable putter like a 175g SS Wizard and just throw the hell out of it for a few months. Concentrate on throwing it straight, level, no more than 6-10ft off the ground. Once you're doing all that and getting distances out to 200-250, then you can move on to other discs."

I don't agree with the distance on the putter, some people will never have the ability to get a putter out that far.

Learning to throw a putter is important though. Get a Comet and a putter that feels comfortable to you. The Wizard has a good flight, but the Envy is better, for me at least.
The putter is personal, you have to try them until you have one that fits you.

Go to Bag Suggestions & Feedback.

Read the stickied thread on "How to build a bag."

Great resource and starting point.

There are a couple stickied threads under Technique & Strategy that will help down the line as well.

I don't agree with the distance on the putter, some people will never have the ability to get a putter out that far.

Really? I think 200ft for a putter throw is a realistic distance for anyone interested in playing the game at a more competitive level, at any age! 250ft may be reserved for more advanced players, but certainly attainable for anyone willing to put in the time.

The Status is a solid understable disc for a RHBH player just picking up the game. Being a new player myself, when I started playing, I only used a Stratus/Comet on the course. Its very tempting to start buying all sorts of discs, but sticking to mid's really does help in the long run.

Latest posts