• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Technique Critique

AlphaFoxFL

I'm new and need to get better, but I unfortunately have had to rely on the resources of the Internet to learn anything in the sport. So, I'm voluntarily throwing myself to the wolves here.

Please critique, give advice, point me to resources, whatever. Most of you have been playing for years whereas I've been playing for weeks, so your wisdom would help a ton.

Thanks in-advance...!

https://www.wevideo.com/view/1781442838

(You know I need some fixing up when my stock editing skills are better than my disc throwing skills... Haha!)

The camera angle was just what I had to work with, only place I could set it up outside while being able to throw out into a field.

Really not sure. I just think about the throw itself and the disc gets propelled out of my hand, but there is also spin put on the disc so I'll have to check next time I'm out throwing whether I'm letting it fly or ripping it. I was trying to focus a lot on pulling with my arm, trying to get out of the habit of "rounding." Thanks for the tip about the thumb...!

Nice vid, but it helps to see your feet. Are you letting go of the disc or is it ripping out?

Your grip is nose up, push your wrist/thumb down so disc is inline with top of forearm.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3440757#post3440757

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q#t=4m20s

That video is kind of old. I enjoyed it but thought it was interesting that he talks about not rounding cause it will hurt your shoulder, back, peck, arm etc, and then every throw he does just that- he rounds. It also appears he is using a constant acceleration from his reach back instead of being loose and bringing it into his power pocket before true acceleration.

That video is kind of old. I enjoyed it but thought it was interesting that he talks about not rounding cause it will hurt your shoulder, back, peck, arm etc, and then every throw he does just that- he rounds. It also appears he is using a constant acceleration from his reach back instead of being loose and bringing it into his power pocket before true acceleration.
He's not rounding.

Look at the slow motion of his throw he makes right at the 2:27 mark. That is rounding. Watch the disc path- it makes a perfect arc around his body into release.
Rounding technically only happens the upper arm collapses/hugging yourself where the disc is caught behind the left shoulder. I think you are deceived by the camera and amount of shoulder turn. Bird-eye camera would clearly show an inward arc into center before the outward arc. Paige has the same in/out arc, but hard to see from camera angle.

Look at the slow motion of his throw he makes right at the 2:27 mark. That is rounding. Watch the disc path- it makes a perfect arc around his body into release.

When SW22 refers to "hugging yourself", pay attention to the relationship of the shoulders and upper arm, not the disc path. Just because a disc follows an arc doesn't mean it is rounding.

Check out various pictures/diagrams here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3452844

Rounding technically only happens the upper arm collapses/hugging yourself where the disc is caught behind the left shoulder. I think you are deceived by the camera and amount of shoulder turn. Bird-eye camera would clearly show an inward arc into center before the outward arc. Paige has the same in/out arc, but hard to see from camera angle.

Looks like she also does that "shoulder squeeze" thing that McBeth does?

Last edited:
This is basically just copied from my post in the newbie thread.

1) Your hips rotate way too early. The real power from a disc golf throw comes from the ground up, and that starts mainly in the hips, allowing the big muscles in legs and core to get involved. In all of your throws, your hips go from a closed to open position completely BEFORE your arm starts swinging. (Nate talks about that a bit in the video I posted earlier, talking about hips pointing backwards and then pointing forwards.) That means you've already lost ALL of the energy from your lower body before throwing. Probably one of those "crush the can" or "driving the hip" video would be useful. You're doing one thing we all do at first. You're trying to make your throw LOOK like a disc golf throw (e.g. reachback, upper body rotation). So the reachback or rotation may look kind of right, but your throw generates no power.

2) Nose-up issues. Those throws that hook way left are quite nose up. There can be a lot of issues that cause that, but I find it helpful to correct any grip issues and work on the swing plane and follow-through.

I'm pretty sure that the guy is rounding a bit.

Zzz. Xxx c c c c cc x. bc xxxxxx xxxxxd xXxX x. cdcxc d . c sc c. Xs. XXxX x c x k.m4 bc by bb be. .

You trolling, bruh?

Too me it really looks like he is partially rounding a bit. It appears that he is not really bringing the disc into the pocket and then accelerating it. It looks to me like he has some motion to pull it in but it quickly transitions into rounding.

Too me it really looks like he is partially rounding a bit. It appears that he is not really bringing the disc into the pocket and then accelerating it. It looks to me like he has some motion to pull it in but it quickly transitions into rounding.

Point out where you see that the angle formed by his shoulders and upper arm is <90 degrees. That is what rounding is.

He also has a big round body, so he physically can't swing the disc in as close into his center or doesn't have the same deep pocket as the string beans. Regardless he isn't rounding, his arm is never pinned back across his chest/hugging himself.

The disc has to swing out to release.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132910

Latest posts