• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night disc golf equipment

I recently bought a 60 pack of assorted color LEDs off of amazon. After a couple test rounds, I find red to be "brightest" and really stands out, even against light pollution from street lights and whatnot. Gonna order all reds once these sell out.

I've found a bright uv light to be a great help for both night play and making discs lost during a day round pop after it gets dark. I have patches of thick brush where I field practice. I don't bother looking during the day for discs anymore. Just walk the tree/bush line with a 50led uv light ($12 amazon)when dark, and lost discs jump into view. I try to throw bright or dayglow colors just for this reason. E* green tb and green fd both glow really bright when the uv light is near. Can pretty much throw my normal bag at night on familiar courses where I know where I can expect a disc to be after release. MVP eclipse plastics have the best of both worlds for me, day glow plate for finding with uv light and glow rim so I can see the beginning of the flight path.

That glow chain is pretty neat
We now have red solar walkway lights that mount on top of the baskets
And some red batt powered glow stick/flashlights that hang in the chains and shine down into the basket

Found some tape at Ace Hardware, I believe it was called "silicone tape" Ace brand. About the same properties as Frost King, but seems to stick even better (at least on the champ discs that I used) almost permanently attached to my disc, still comes off clean with some effort, will lift the stamp right off. About $8 a roll (attaches 100s of lights) is worth it to know your lights will not be coming off.

Found some tape at Ace Hardware, I believe it was called "silicone tape" Ace brand. About the same properties as Frost King, but seems to stick even better (at least on the champ discs that I used) almost permanently attached to my disc, still comes off clean with some effort, will lift the stamp right off. About $8 a roll (attaches 100s of lights) is worth it to know your lights will not be coming off.

Would you say its better than clear duct tape?
It doesn't get much below 25-35 degrees around here

Would you say its better than clear duct tape?
It doesn't get much below 25-35 degrees around here

If you've never had trouble with duct tape, then there's no concern, if you're worried about it because of cold or wet conditions, this stuff seems to be rock solid, if I remember, I'll report back after a season of use by many people.

My 100pk of LED's and batteries came in last week, so I am mostly ready. I am trying now to get my wife's discs up to snuff. She just needs either a glow putter or a clear one I can slap some LED's to.

After tinkering with the LED's and a glow disc, I thought of a question......has anyone ever used UV LED's taped to a glow disc to keep it going longer and better? I was messing with a glow Tbird and noticed they show up pretty well through that plastic. Well enough it would be easy to see at a distance. The LED's weren't bright enough to make it glow much at all. That was what got me wondering about the UV LED's. Either 2 or 4 taped under the flight plate, exactly the same as the normal ones. Has anyone tried this?

Got some of these coming, but ,not for the glow discs...
I'll bet they are the bomb for any fluorescent plastic...
Ever shined a UV flashlight on your fluorescent Discs? They really light up...

The UV LEDs will make hotspots on a glow disc
And will help charge the disc its sitting next to the bag
So it works a little, the next fri. we go out, im going to use both a RED and a UV LED on each of my glow discs

I tried my UV LED's and they were not really cutting it. The regular white ones I have did much better.:thmbup:

Sorry but they temporarily pulled the story when I posted that so a link wouldn't have worked.

I enjoyed my first glow round Monday night. 3 Glow discs, but mainly used a 3-4" glow duct tape on the top of my regular (backup) discs. Flew very nicely, glowed pretty well using a REALLY bright white light. Playing partner used an LED on each disc, and it was quite a bit easier to see than my glow discs, not much easier than the tape, but no charging required. But man the glow discs just looked cooler flying :)

So I was pretty pleased, but then I just bought a UV blacklight at Walmart yesterday, and tested it last night in my basement...holy crap does that charge the tape about 20 times faster. Also less bright in my eyes(and everyone else around), even makes my champ discs "glow" when i shine it on them (will be great for the tosses in the bushes. where it's tough to see the tape glowing) Can't wait for the Glow Doubles tournament Friday night!!

We now have red solar walkway lights that mount on top of the baskets
And some red batt powered glow stick/flashlights that hang in the chains and shine down into the basket

Well tonight, is the first night of 6, that I am running glow random doubles
I am very anxious to see how well the glow stick/flashlights hold up.

CTP markers idea...

Use any utility marker flag and fold it over with a wafer LED inside and wrap with clear tape. Makes a great LED flag and very easy to see. Plus it has an on/off switch. We used to put glow sticks in a zip lock but that can get expensive as we always do 4 CTP's per round. The LED flags are easier to see from the tee IMO. I'll try to post a pic later if I think about.

CTP markers idea...

Use any utility marker flag and fold it over with a wafer LED inside and wrap with clear tape. Makes a great LED flag and very easy to see. Plus it has an on/off switch. We used to put glow sticks in a zip lock but that can get expensive as we always do 4 CTP's per round. The LED flags are easier to see from the tee IMO. I'll try to post a pic later if I think about.
thats a great idea, i didnt even think about having a ctp for a hole :clap:
now i am off to go buy a disc for a prize:hfive:

CTP markers idea...

Here's a crappy picture but should give you the idea. I tried to take it in a dark room so you could see the light.
attachment.php