• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No more Jump Putting?

Well, if anyone out there was worried that the PDGA would appoint David Sauls as Rules Czar, this is pretty good evidence that it hasn't happened yet.

Grod must only throw flat standstill low power finesse shots. Pretty sure he is all about stand & deliver.

As the game moves to longer and longer par 4's and 5's this is a regressive cure for a disease that may be contentious and borderline but doesn't offer any clear advantage.

I guess the other way of looking at it, might be rather than try and keep stretching hole lengths, especially where so many courses have limited real estate, is to impose this kind of limits.
Rather than changing the courses and par numbers and worry if 36 down is appropriate make it a bit more challenging to reach those same distances from fairways and long putts?

From a difficulty reaching distance and adding throws to the game on longer holes I don't have any issue with the ideas or even stand and deliver for that matter.

But,
what you bring up about how to enforce and certain shot shaping like hard anny flex shots or something with questionable footing it could get dicey.

Slightly confoosed...but does any of this stop the walking putt where you can walk 3-6ft over your marker before releasing the disc....ala PU?

Slightly confoosed...but does any of this stop the walking putt where you can walk 3-6ft over your marker before releasing the disc....ala PU?
Well, that was never legal in the way you've described it. :)

Well, that was never legal in the way you've described it. :)

lol..I always get confused if it's a step putt, walk putt, etc, where one foot is past the marker but not on the ground, about as far as you can stretch....before releasing the disc to putt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that get fixed by the demonstration of balance language when putting?

A putting circle of 164'? That's crazy! Not fun crazy, but stupid crazy. So, when I tee off on the 150' hole that curves through trees, I'm putting?

And no follow through on second drives?

Whoever these people are that are recommending these things, they need to be found different positions.

This rule is horse-s***

They left out a few cons..

Con:
-No one will follow stupid new rule
-Exposure to massive backlash and widespread mockery
-PDGA's legitimacy as a governing body to be questioned

Not being allowed to follow through on fairway shots will result in injuries.

Particularly to the knees.

I think a putting circle of 30m would be better than either of these.

I know that this may sound stupid or uninformed but if I release far enough behind my marker that I can follow through without going past my marker, am I okay? I get that it robs me of some distance but a run up or step is still allowed right-as long as that step doesn't carry you past your marker?

I know that this may sound stupid or uninformed but if I release far enough behind my marker that I can follow through without going past my marker, am I okay? I get that it robs me of some distance but a run up or step is still allowed right-as long as that step doesn't carry you past your marker?

According to the old rules your supporting point of contact (ie plant foot) has to be within (is it 15in?) of your marker when the disc is released...

I'm not convinced he stepped past his lie on that shot. Looks like he was pivoting on one foot, and could have very easily stayed behind his mark. Is there video of his entire follow-through?

I doubt it, I followed the disc, and no one else was filming. If you can't see it in the vid I posted you're probably SOL.

If you release that far behind your marker, you're probably foot faulting by not being close enough on release. You have to be within 11 inches I think.

Does anyone have a copy of that doc? It is 404'ed now.

Yeah I was afraid of that. I have screen shots of the main document but not of any of the supporting documents. If you want, I can post those -- it's something anyway.