• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No more Jump Putting?

According to the old rules your supporting point of contact (ie plant foot) has to be within (is it 15in?) of your marker when the disc is released...

I doubt it, I followed the disc, and no one else was filming. If you can't see it in the vid I posted you're probably SOL.

If you release that far behind your marker, you're probably foot faulting by not being close enough on release. You have to be within 11 inches I think.

Ah, okay. Thanks! I have been doing this all wrong. On standing shots, I always keep my foot touching or close to touching my mini but on longer fairway shots I have been running up and releasing in line with my disc, usually without stepping past it. I'm a newish, rec player so I didn't realize that violated the rules. I will fix that but, yeah, hurts if they don't let you run past and keep the distance from your marker requirement.

You can step or walk into fairway shots, when you release the disc is when your supporting point must be within that distance from your marker.

According to the old rules your supporting point of contact (ie plant foot) has to be within (is it 15in?) of your marker when the disc is released...

If I'm remembering it right (also too busy to look it up), it's 30 cm...
...but one of the proposals also seems to be a biggie: your lie is going to be ONLY from the back of the disc that landed, and mini markers are going to use 'tail marking' at the back of the disc (not in front), eliminating the ambiguity of being able to choose, like we do now.

Not being allowed to follow through on fairway shots will result in injuries.

Particularly to the knees.

100% this.
When I learned proper follow through/walk through my knee and ankle pain vanished. It had been really bad for a long time prior to getting one damn lesson with Nate Sexton and cleaning up my pivot.
This is a terrible proposed rule change.

Do we know who is on the Rules Committee? I'm guessing it's different from the Game Development Team but I don't see a specific list on the PDGA site.

You can step or walk into fairway shots, when you release the disc is when your supporting point must be within that distance from your marker.

Wait, so I can run up, so long as I release within a few inches of my disc? This is what I do now; just want to play by the rules. Guess I could/should look them up myself and answer my own questions.

Here are the first three screenshots, there are 6 total:

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 78
Yes. Though this proposed rule change, apparently, would change that... but I would just keep doing what you're doing for now.

Yep, under current rules, you can run up to any lie (including a putt!). You can follow through after release, beyond your lie, on most tee and fairway shots. On putts inside 10 meters from the basket, you have to demonstrate balance before going in front of your lie.

Here are the last three screenshots:

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 46
Wait, so I can run up, so long as I release within a few inches of my disc? This is what I do now; just want to play by the rules. Guess I could/should look them up myself and answer my own questions.

Yes, you can run up to your disc on fairway shots. When you make that final plant of your foot and release the disc the plant foot must be withing 30 cm (11.81") of the back of your disc/marker disc at time of release. Note, your entire foot does not need to be inside the 30 cm area just part of your foot.

Side note, it must also be on the center line from the center of the basket running through the center of your disc. Hope that helps.

Recently, a document from the PDGA Rules Committee made its way around social media titled "PDGA Rules 2017 Revision". This unofficial document contained topics under discussion*by the*PDGA Rules Committee. Any proposals made by the PDGA Rules Committee must first be reviewed and approved by a majority of the PDGA Board of Directors before they are considered for a revision to the "Official Rules of Disc Golf".*
To be clear, there will be no revisions to the "Official Rules of Disc Golf" in 2017. The earliest possible revision to the "Official Rules of Disc*Golf" will be in 2018.*
We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. As always, the current version of the "Official Rules of Disc*Golf"*can be found at*http://www.pdga.com/rules

"Wait and see"... I have a feeling '18 is gonna be interesting...

Another case cracked by DGCR!

*huffs on fingernails, buffs them on chest*

Remember, some of these still require board approval. My thoughts...
1. The 50 meter putting circle is not reasonable. Who can tell what 50 meters is within a reasonable amount.
2. Jump/Step putting will become a thing of the past. Somehow they will get rid of it.
3. Maintaining Balance during all non-tee shots will probably not hold up. It is too harmful to players bodies.

eating-crow.jpg

Fascinating.

Sometimes the truth can be.

Do we know who is on the Rules Committee? I'm guessing it's different from the Game Development Team but I don't see a specific list on the PDGA site.

Rules committee is listed in every single printing of the rule book (page 24 in the current edition).

Remember, some of these still require board approval. My thoughts...
1. The 50 meter putting circle is not reasonable. Who can tell what 50 meters is within a reasonable amount.
2. Jump/Step putting will become a thing of the past. Somehow they will get rid of it.
3. Maintaining Balance during all non-tee shots will probably not hold up. It is too harmful to players bodies.

Not some...ALL need Board approval. Nothing in those documents has been officially proposed for the rule book. It's all in-committee discussions and actions. From what I can tell, the voting tallies aren't whether the committee wants to propose the changes. The votes are regarding furthering the discussion of or killing each proposal. Still a lonnngggg way to go before these things get to the official rule book.

This isn't the first time that the RC has "leaked" their talking points and proposals for the next edition of the rule book. And I suspect that like the last time they did so, not everything they discuss will ultimately be proposed to the Board for approval or approved by the Board once it gets to them.

Much ado about nothing, in other words.