• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-throwing arm on drives.

swellerdiscgolf

Birdie Member
I've seen lots of photos where it looks like the persons non-throwing arm is just tucked into their body, and it got me wondering about what I do with mine. Mine goes out behind me so I have both arms straight out at first then it kind of falls down, but does not touch my body.

I just thought I would add one more thing to think about when throwing.:D

Driving, my arm stays in front of my stomach (just touching it). While putting or shooting shorter range, my arm swings out backwards (almost creating a straight line between the two). Never had really thought about what my other arm was doing...interesting

Your off arm should be as close to your body as possible when driving. The closer your arm is, the faster your rotation will be. Think about when an ice skater is spinning on the ice. When they bring their arms in close they start to rotate faster and when they need to slow down the arms go out. The more compact you are, the more potential you will have for faster turn.

Ahhh the classic way to work your competition. we used to jokje about it on tour - one of the best ways to get into the head of your best bud, or your worst enemy. Say Joe.............what do you do with your off hand when you're throwing?

lol....I will have to remember these for the next round of casual doubles with friends.

Your off arm should be as close to your body as possible when driving. The closer your arm is, the faster your rotation will be. Think about when an ice skater is spinning on the ice. When they bring their arms in close they start to rotate faster and when they need to slow down the arms go out. The more compact you are, the more potential you will have for faster turn.

interesting, i've never thought about it like that.
good analogy.

One of the more experienced locals I was playing with told me I was swinging my arm back when I drove, and that it was robbing me of some power. I'm more conscious about it now, and it does seem to be helping me gain some distance.

Supposed to keep your non throwing arm tucked into your body, helps get faster arm speed.

i actually use my non throwing hand to hold my disc until the last step of the x step. after that it then hangs by my side until i spin around where it comes out to the side. im guessing because of momentum.

The reality is that it will help your angular momentum more if it begins out far from your body and then as soon as you start the rotation you tuck it into your side but part of me thinks that will make you look like a bird trying to fly with broken wings. The tucking the arm thing works so well in figureskating because they start their rotation with their arms out and then bring them in closer.

And by the way, I have my non throwing arm tucked by my side and I don't breath at all when I put, I just hold my breath until after the throw. You can't trick me into making mistakes, I am the only one allowed to trick myself into making mistakes, which I did plent of today.

I had to walk through my drive in the living room to figure out what my other arm is doing (once again my wife rolls her eyes) - it stays tucked in. And I breathe out just after I putt - the breath gives form to some four letter word, usually rhyming with "duck."

you should be able to hold a beer in your off hand, no spill

I usually use my non throwing arm to hold the cell phone to my ear while driving.

oh!!!! disc golf driving, not driving in the car........hmmm.....I think mine is tucked.

I am not going to lie, part of me wants to go out right now and make a mockumentary about the non-throwing arm in disc golf. Of course it will have the necessary super hero spoof and perhaps an appearance by the evil villan "The Breath of Putt". Mua ha ha ha! I mean yeah.

I am not going to lie, part of me wants to go out right now and make a mockumentary about the non-throwing arm in disc golf. Of course it will have the necessary super hero spoof and perhaps an appearance by the evil villan "The Breath of Putt". Mua ha ha ha! I mean yeah.

Not to mention the ID10T screaming 2 holes over as you're releasing your drive.:mad: