• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Rolling Pines is a nice park style course and my favorite in western NC to hit after getting beat up in the woods. Also, near by are Fort Hamby and Highland Hills (where you can get beat up in the woods). I will say I was less than thrilled by HH but that was mainly due to very muddy paths on the side of steep hills.

Ashe County's one of my all-time favorites. I would say that it's probably colder at this time of year than i would like, but since our visitor is from Maine, I won't say it.

Appreciate the multitude of responses, evidence that it is not an easy choice in this area. I'll already be driving around all day but sticking to a course right in Charlotte's probably the best for my schedule.

I have played rounds while traveling where I finish work, have about 2 hours before a flight, and jog a round somewhere before rushing to the airport. Nothing like changing up in the airport bathroom from sweaty clothes to go sit on a plane.

There's work for the next couple years I may fly into Charlotte for, so here's to hoping this is the first of at least a few opportunities to try some courses in the area out. Cheers.

There's so much good stuff in Charlotte, that it probably comes down to what sort of course you like -- or how big a course you want.

And perhaps what part of Charlotte you're in.

Ashe County, Rolling Pines, and Stoney Hill are all about 1.5 to 2 hours away from Charlotte, one-way. It's basically a full-day trip to play any of those. Were you aware of that, and do you have time for that?

I, too, am a Rolling Pines hater, but will grudgingly admit that it does fit your elevation/scenery/fun criteria. Ashe County and Stoney Hill are both better on those counts, but are also even further away. If you are genuinely willing to drive that far, I would also strongly consider some of the upstate SC courses, especially Grand Central Station and Holston Creek.

None of the Charlotte courses have that much elevation, and most of them aren't terribly scenic either (though Canaan Riverbend has a few jaw-dropper holes). And almost all of the courses there are heavily wooded. So it seems like you need to either prepare for long drives to get what you want (elevation, scenery, and more open holes), or adjust your criteria for what you want to play to match Charlotte better (lots of woods).

For me, among the Charlotte courses, Nevin is the challenging crown jewel, and Reedy Creek and Bradford are the most fun intermediate options. I'm much lower on Hornet's Nest than most people, though I'm admittedly an outlier, but do note that you won't get to play the island basket on hole 2. I have no idea what kind of shape Canaan is in right now, it has some beauty but also some extremely thick rough. I'm never sure whether to recommend Renaissance to people, it is very unique, in both good and bad directions.
That's all good info. The only thing I would add is that although Stumpy Creek is a bit too far north to be considered a Charlotte course, it gives so much elevation, you might think you are in the mountains. Combined with Bradford and Brackett's, you get an excellent cross section of the variety in NC's piedmont courses.

Last edited:
Appreciate the multitude of responses, evidence that it is not an easy choice in this area. I'll already be driving around all day but sticking to a course right in Charlotte's probably the best for my schedule.
Since you are an 875-900 player Reedy Creek is your best bet.
If you are pressed for time I will add a vote for Squirrel Lake in Matthews. It has 12 really fun solid holes.

So I am taking a day off next week (happy b-day to myself) and will have about 4 hours available to play a course in the RDU area. Some popular courses I have not played: rock ridge, clayton DGC, zebulon, forest ridge (seasonal), valley springs (i played the first 11 and had to leave), and Buckhorn...Now I have played Diavolo a few times and really enjoy (and this is my default day-off coursee) so I suppose my question is...anyone have a recommendation here? I've been toying with the idea of doing Rock Ridge and Swinging DBs or Rock Ridge and Buckhorn to knock out two in a day. Am I missing some course that is within 45-50 minutes of the triangle that is a must play?

If all else fails, I go to Diavolo and have a perfectly awesome day anyways.

My choice would be Rock Ridge shorts followed by Rock Ridge longs. But I like RR a lot. [emoji106][emoji16] If you haven't played Buckhorn at all you'll like. DB's you would need a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know what par is rated on the white and blue tees? I'm going to register for PDGA membership in the new year but am kind of curious where I stand currently..

To me, the real gem of the greater Triangle area—and the only truly "must play"—Rockness Monster: 27 holes with four sets of tees (Red, White, Blue, Orange) and multiple baskets (on some holes); dramatic elevation changes; challenging (but fair) basket placements; tight (but fair) technical holes; bomber holes; multiple holes where you'll be tempted to empty your bag, then gather up all your discs and return to the tepid and throw them again; multiple holes with danger lurking around the green that challenge your confidence, decision making and execution: successfully running the basket will net you a birdie (or even an ace), but missing will net you a bogie or worse, and some of the most memorable views anywhere in the state.

Do you know what par is rated on the white and blue tees? I'm going to register for PDGA membership in the new year but am kind of curious where I stand currently..

Which course's tees are you asking about?

Based on some recent tournaments there -
Rock Ridge short/red - ~890
Rock Ridge long/blue - ~970
Buckhorn short/white - ~900
Buckhorn long/blue - ~950
(Buckhorn's can be higher/lower depending on the water levels and wind)

The RR/Buckhorn and Clayton/Zeb combos are both very strong options and would make for a fun day. The rest of Valley Springs is largely similar to the 11 holes you already saw. Forest Ridge is pretty decent for a temp 9-holer, but not worth a dedicated pilgrimage.

To me, the real gem of the greater Triangle area—and the only truly "must play"—Rockness Monster: 27 holes with four sets of tees (Red, White, Blue, Orange) and multiple baskets (on some holes); dramatic elevation changes; challenging (but fair) basket placements; tight (but fair) technical holes; bomber holes; multiple holes where you'll be tempted to empty your bag, then gather up all your discs and return to the tepid and throw them again; multiple holes with danger lurking around the green that challenge your confidence, decision making and execution: successfully running the basket will net you a birdie (or even an ace), but missing will net you a bogie or worse, and some of the most memorable views anywhere in the state.

Man you may have sold me on this one. I've thought about getting up there for a round but haven't had the right opportunity. This might just be it

Man you may have sold me on this one. I've thought about getting up there for a round but haven't had the right opportunity. This might just be it

If you do hit Rockness, play the holes in the order that they're listed on the Hole Info page (1-5, A-E, 19, 6-7, 20-22, 8-18), as that makes for the most efficient flow.

If you do hit Rockness, play the holes in the order that they're listed on the Hole Info page (1-5, A-E, 19, 6-7, 20-22, 8-18), as that makes for the most efficient flow.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had noticed the same thing on UDisc but there is no layout map. Is the signage good enough to follow from hole to hole?

Thanks for pointing that out. I had noticed the same thing on UDisc but there is no layout map. Is the signage good enough to follow from hole to hole?
I replayed Rockness within the last month and I agree with the assessment that it is a fantastic course and one of my Top Favorites in NC! (As an aside, I still enjoy Buckhorn as much or more than Diavolo, even though that is now a minority opinion.) Anyway, Rockness gets really confusing at hole 5 because there are 2 baskets in very different places. Near the hole 5 White tee, off to the right, there is also a sign and a fairway pointing to holes A-E. We went wrong at this point. I still don't know what that fairway to the right of White 5 tee is for. I was with 2 players who had played 1200+ and 1850+ courses and we initially played the wrong fairway and had to go back and replay 5 to the long basket.

It's also very hard to explain where to go. From the 5 White tee pad the long basket is up on a rock formation on the right. Then holes A-E are past the 5 Long basket. This was the most tricky spot. This probably doesn't make any sense right now, but I hope it helps when you get there. If you follow the order above and watch the signs carefully there shouldn't be any more problems.