• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

To me, the real gem of the greater Triangle area—and the only truly "must play"—Rockness Monster: 27 holes with four sets of tees (Red, White, Blue, Orange) and multiple baskets (on some holes); dramatic elevation changes; challenging (but fair) basket placements; tight (but fair) technical holes; bomber holes; multiple holes where you'll be tempted to empty your bag, then gather up all your discs and return to the tepid and throw them again; multiple holes with danger lurking around the green that challenge your confidence, decision making and execution: successfully running the basket will net you a birdie (or even an ace), but missing will net you a bogie or worse, and some of the most memorable views anywhere in the state.

Shhhh! Trying to keep Rockness' awesomeness a secret so the course stays uncrowded.

The only thing that keeps me from playing Rockness regularly is that "there ain't no way to get there from here."[emoji53][emoji16] Coming from the west, near Wilkes, the gps map variations I've tried are tedious involving numerous stops and starts adding to road time and navigation. I can get to pretty much ANY other triangle course in less time and less hassle. BUT, it is on my short list of favorite NC courses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing that keeps me from playing Rockness regularly is that "there ain't no way to get there from here."[emoji53][emoji16] Coming from the west, near Wilkes, the gps map variations I've tried are tedious involving numerous stops and starts adding to road time and navigation. I can get to pretty much ANY other triangle course in less time and less hassle. BUT, it is on my short list of favorite NC courses!

Yeah, not the easiest to get to, even from Durham. But definitely worth the hassle.

I still don't know what that fairway to the right of White 5 tee is for. I was with 2 players who had played 1200+ and 1850+ courses and we initially played the wrong fairway and had to go back and replay 5 to the long basket.

I assume it's supposed to be a shortcut to Hole A. Would help if they didn't cut it as wide as the fairways, though.

I assume it's supposed to be a shortcut to Hole A. Would help if they didn't cut it as wide as the fairways, though.
You're right. I also seem to remember that there was a teepad, so that's why we assumed it was a hole, especially since we still needed to play hole 5. It sure looked like a hole instead of a short cut. I still don't get it.

The key points here are...
After you finish hole 5 then proceed to hole A.

On hole 5, if playing the White tees to long basket throw to the basket up on the rock on the right. If playing to the short basket on 5 then walk over past the 5 long basket. Ignore that short cut/fairway to the right of the tee pad, even though it has a sign saying it leads to holes A-E.

If you're gonna drive up to Rockness, might as play Sasquatch also. A little further north, with a little more variety, open holes, water carries and also good elevation change.
Don't bother with Kraken (the third of the monster courses) first nine are all open, back nine are short and wooded, even has some water carries, unless you just want to bag courses, then ... since you're in the neighborhood.

Played Diavolo white tees today. Pretty but shooting +52 or thereabouts (couple of guesses because I sucked so bad) isn't all that fun.
I'll go back maybe when the beginner loop is in? :\

FWIW I was a little let down by Rockness. Scenic in places, but the golf was a little so-so IMO. Sasquatch was disappointing after the first 3 holes which are cool and a couple sprinkled in-between, but a lot of meh.

East Clayton was a fun surprise though, I liked it a little more than Rock Ridge and Keeley. Jones Park was a little disappointing. Diavolo was my fav though.

FWIW I was a little let down by Rockness. Scenic in places, but the golf was a little so-so IMO. Sasquatch was disappointing after the first 3 holes which are cool and a couple sprinkled in-between, but a lot of meh.

East Clayton was a fun surprise though, I liked it a little more than Rock Ridge and Keeley. Jones Park was a little disappointing. Diavolo was my fav though.

I've done jones park and it's Ok. I like diavolo and considered going back but I wanted to try something new. I've not tried Clayton. While I may end up at rockness, rock ridge and east Clayton are very likely as well. I'll figure something out the morning of based on my willingness to drive over an hour or not.

...I've not tried Clayton. While I may end up at rockness, rock ridge and east Clayton are very likely as well. I'll figure something out the morning of based on my willingness to drive over an hour or not.
I would also strongly recommend going to Burlington to play Cedarock and Wellspring. I love those courses, and they offer a great contrast to each other. I would put these in the "Must Play" category, even if the big arms will think Wellspring is too short. Cedarock long tees to long baskets is definitely not short.

I would also strongly recommend going to Burlington to play Cedarock and Wellspring. I love those courses, and they offer a great contrast to each other. I would put these in the "Must Play" category, even if the big arms will think Wellspring is too short. Cedarock long tees to long baskets is definitely not short.

Cedarock and Wellspring are like twins that have almost nothing in common.

You should add, for those who don't know, that the courses are at the same location. Park once, play a lot.

A quick note, because I haven't seen anything devoted to it yet...

Eastway in Charlotte is open for business. And I think I like it better than the old layout. Very fun. More so when a couple of Lady Pros were behind us, basically forced to watch every throw we made. It put some extra-special sauce on the difficulty of throwing with a gallery...(I say 'difficulty' with tongue in cheek. I love an audience.)

But get thee to Beastway. I'll even call it a Must-Play in CLT.

Carry on!

I haven't made it over there yet, but the new course at "The Crossing" in Kernersville NC is getting some positive chatter. [emoji41][emoji106]

The positive chatter on The Crossing course is real! Most assuredly deserving of the current 4.25 rating.

Just letting everybody know that Ezra Aderhold said that Hornet's Nest shouldn't be on the Disc Golf Pro Tour.