• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Northern NM and Southern CO

sensei

In mid August the family and I are packing up the Wagon Queen Family Truckster and driving Griswold style from Austin TX to Southern Colorado. We're planning stop offs in (at least) Red River NM, Wolf Creek, and Durango.

I'm dying to play a good downhill mountain course. What are the best ones in that area? Also, if you have any other must-play courses in the area please share 'em.

I'm not sure NM has a downhill course. The course in Sipapu starts at the lodge, wanders around/up/down through the ski area, and finishes at the lodge. Very much worth the hike though. Angel Fire and Taos both have courses, but I think they are similar. The course in Red River is in a community park (Mallette Park) and it's only a 9 holer. It is fun to play but not near the elevation change as a ski hill course. In Red River, stop in at Sitzmark Sports on the main drag and say HI to Mark Martinez. He can give more details and they used to have a pretty good selection of discs for sale.

If you're OK with camping, there is a course on private property in Lindrith, NM. It's located in North Central NM north of Cuba. Definately not for the faint of heart or those who only play manicured park courses. It's out in the boonies a long way from civilization. They do have monthly minis (contact the Galloway brothers in Albuquerque), and some the NM players do make day trips out there to play. 27 holes of mixed terrain. Several holes wind through a pinion pine forest, while several holes are located on the cliffs of the Badlands area.