• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Northman

dudiablo

Par Member
I was able to stop by disc golf world on my trip through KC this week and WOW did they have a good selection of discs. Found a Westside Northman that looked pretty sweet (my last name is North so I felt overly inclined to buy one). Really didnt have much intention on using it too much because the numbers on the disc made it look like it would basically be an orc, which I feel like I have that part of my bag filled with, well an orc.

Got out to the course and gave it a whirl, expecting it to be pretty straight, then have a predictable fade, but DAMN was I wrong. The thing flipped straight right (no headwind to speak of). Its a 175g tourney plastic (looks like a gold line from lat64), but I really didn't like it until I just took it for what it seemed to be, a longer Sidewinder.

Good thing i picked it up though because my champ sidewinder just found its way to the top of a 30ft pine tree and it was NOT going to come down.

Anyone else have find that the Northman is hyzerflip/anny line holding machine?!

Yep, think new Beast, not old Beast,only slightly slower.
Like a faster Leopard.
A Beopard. :D

LOVE mine.

i had a couple vip (opto) and would compare them to champ valks with better glide great disc for shaping lines but hard to get to fly straight. the fast faierway ref. is right on IMO.

Is the Northman slightly more stable than the River? I realy like the River but sometimes I wish it was just a little more stable.

The early vips are pretty damn stable. But I have heard repeatedly that later versions will turn right.

yeah, my buddy has an early vip northman that's fairly beefy. It's the only one I've thrown though, so can't compare to other runs.

Picked up one of these in the DD mystery box and was surprised when I threw it. I was expecting an Orc flight but got a Pro Beast instead. I'm happy with it cause I love me some Pro Beast being that I only have about 350ft of power. I can chuck this thing, get a little HS turn and have it end with an equal amount of LS fade with it ending in the middle of the fairway. It has the Pro Beast glide but in premium plastic.

I love my VIP (169g) Northman, which has a slight bit of flippyness to it. An have recently bought a tournament plastic to use as a back up. Out of the box, its more stable than where my VIP is now, but I'm sure that won't last long. The problem I've been having is finding the disc in either plastic below 170g.

I have two VIP Northmen, one old and one new. The old one is flatter and flies straight, but the new one is kinda domey and hooks hard. I'd like to try a tourney Northman.

I have a sort of domey, 174ish, VIP, old school stamp, that is mildly beefy for me. I'd like to try a little bit lighter one and/or Tourney Plastic.

I used to throw the Northman, VIP. I now use a Quantum Astra for the same stable-overstable slot because it has very similar flight, but is longer.

I got a TP one in trade awhile back, have thrown another TP one prior. They fly okay, kind of like a seasoned Surge. They have a bit of turn to them and fight back more than you'd think so they S-curve really easily. If I had a bigger arm I don't know how dependable they'd be since they do like to turn quite a bit, seems like it would be squirrely at 400'+ power. Pretty nice for hyzer flips and holes like this:

0be3405c.jpg

...where you want that question mark shaped line of initial straightness, track right mid-flight and then hook up at the end. They're decent drivers but don't really stand out as special for me.