• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Northman

In the past, I've thrown the Northman, Boatman and Sword. The Grace made them all unnecessary, imo. They are all very similar spec wise, but the Grace combines the best qualities of each: comfort, reliability and distance.

In the past, I've thrown the Northman, Boatman and Sword. The Grace made them all unnecessary, imo. They are all very similar spec wise, but the Grace combines the best qualities of each: comfort, reliability and distance.

Might be similar in specs but having thrown them all heavily, Swords in particular, I find them very different in practice.

Westside disc numbers have kindof always been gibberish.

I dont know how much the updates helped.

Might be similar in specs but having thrown them all heavily, Swords in particular, I find them very different in practice.

I had a Sword that was the best distance driver I've ever owned. It flew like a stable mid with a 12 speed rim; perfect for someone with modest arm speed. I purchased a handful of others after losing it, but none were a match for that ideal Sword.

My previous post was a poor choice of words. I prefer the Grace to the others, but if a Grace wasn't available I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the them. I feel that there are enough variations within each mold to render the subtle differences in design negligible.

I feel that there are enough variations within each mold to render the subtle differences in design negligible.

When I say I don't think they're similar I'm not referring to the physical build of the three molds but...hmm, how do I put this?

Northmans (Northmen?) are very fast neutral-understable fairways that can be (and I do/have) used for pure distance but is better suited as a long-range precision/hyzerflip/low-power driver.

Boatman is a stable-overstable fairway. Great as a workhorse but not so OS that it can pull utility duties, works well in combination with the Northman.

Swords are stable distance drivers. Yeah, they might be on the slower end and with mild enough lateral movement that they can be used in the woods as if it was a Northman, but they're still clearly a distance driver.

Dunno if that makes sense?

It makes perfect sense. I agree completely with the way you've defined them. For me, the Grace gives me the reliability of a Boatman with the distance potential of a Sword. I've enjoyed throwing the Northman, but I prefer discs that are more understable in my downwind driver slots. Currently, that's a Thrasher and a Clash Sweet Honey for strong tailwinds.

Ya, I would not call the differences between those three subtle, but uhhh.. Beware the man with just one disc I guess?

Noticed that Infinite now has the Westside Northman available, albeit in Origio Burst. I imagine Northman throwers here prefer VIP, but at least it's something.

Still, if you are interested I'd grab one or two now since we all know Trilogy's Westside attention has been lacking these days.

Noticed that Infinite now has the Westside Northman available, albeit in Origio Burst. I imagine Northman throwers here prefer VIP, but at least it's something.

Still, if you are interested I'd grab one or two now since we all know Trilogy's Westside attention has been lacking these days.
I just grabbed a couple. Prime Escapes are pretty good, and so are Retro Saints. Figure the Origin Northman will be too.

I just grabbed a couple. Prime Escapes are pretty good, and so are Retro Saints. Figure the Origin Northman will be too.
My brother picked one up (to my surprise, our local disc golf store had them in stock) in Origio recently but hasn't thrown it enough to really have any reaction yet - and I haven't given it a try either - I can wait, as I am more than happy with my Apex Freetail at the moment.

I picked up two of these. I'll have to throw it once I get home but up in the mountains the one I brought along is pretty, shockingly, beefy. Even after lots and lots of rock hits. Hopefully get some throws with it next weekend.

So Infinite for some reason had some VIP Air Northmen on their site recently. There was actually 1 blue standard VIP and 3 orange VIP Air ones. I waffled the first I day I saw them and when I looked the next day the blue one was gone. So I picked up 2 of the orange VIP Airs. 154 and 155 stamped. I took the 155 out today and it was a bomber. It's going to make the bag for sure.

I was also able to snag a tourney stamped Moonshine one from OTB I think. That was about a month or so ago. So there's hope that they'll maybe run these again. At least as a limited deal. It's worth keeping an eye out still. There's hope. :love:

Update: Those VIP Air ones BOMB for a Northman. Touchy with any kind of wind obviously. I've only been throwing the first one I bagged so far. Since they've released some Matty O VIP Air (snagged a couple) and some Matty O VIP Ice ones (snagged 1). They're out there if you search.

Picked these guys up from the Lat 64 store. Regular VIP and they're fantastic feeling. Kinda dig the "kids" stamps too

IMG_20240315_014120830.jpg

That's a lot of Northmen.

You are clearly already hip to it, but for anyone else looking for Westside stuff, the whole lineup is available from Lat64s pro shop right now. Pretty much everything in Kid stamps, and also lots of stuff in stock stamps.

Availability is the biggest reason I stopped throwing Trilogy and especially Westside. Its tempting to stock up, but I mostly restrained my purchase to a stack of Tridents. I picked up some VIP-X Sorcs too, hoping they'd be good tailwind drivers, but they are out of the box rollers.

I just ordered two of the Vip Kids Northman's just in case I like them, I've been looking for them for more than three years now. What I do know is that the Vip Air Northman will fly! Good for downwind throws I've used up to 25 mph wind and will stay in control. but not recommended for any headwind. Also good for moderate woods play. I stop using it for heavily wooded courses because it can get dinged up. A thank you to @wolfhaley I saw his post on this thread back in December and he answered my questions and I went for it.

I went searching for the Vip Northman after playing a round with a member of the Coastguard three years ago. Great guy, I had been playing just a little more than a year, and he gave me tips on my form. He was throwing a Vip Northman and not hard to see the nice glide. I asked him about the disc, and he invited me to throw it, a big difference compared to any other high speed disc in my bag. He told me there hard to find and had me throw a Vip Underworld just as nice. He told me to keep it, he had others. I had that disc for 15 months before losing it.

Almost a month with the VIP Kids Northman both 176g. One of the best grips I've had on a driver. 15 mph wind solid, direction doesn't matter. On the practice field I was out distancing a Star Shryke in headwind, downwind keeping up with it. Need to still work with it stronger wind. Lesser wind down the middle with ending fade, can hit gaps. Overall beautiful glide.

Their still available to order Latitude 64 Factory Store. From Sweden UPS 10-days in a box

Three months with the Vip Air Northman 155g fast downwind, a big no on headwind. Calm wind beautiful glide, gotta throw it easy or too much turn. Good distance on a LHBH left line better than a few of my 11 speeds.

Attachments

• 20240325_165711.jpg
    20240325_165711.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts