• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Nova Alternatives?

PuzzledGuy

Love my Nova off the tee and for approach shots. Straight flier that can be thrown on just about any line. Consistent even with some wind.

But.

If it gets wet, I find it to be super slippery, and now amount of wiping with a towel will get it back to dry.

Any alternatives that are grippier when wet?

I also have troubles with how deep the Nova feels and how much the overmold nubs can get in the way. One of the great things about a Nova is the insane glide! I ended up switching to a Dart/Serpent combo. The Serpent is an absolutely fantastic straight driving and upshot disc which is much more comfortable in the hand, but does not have the glide. It resists turn from overtorque and has a very, VERY mild fade, which I love, but it's on the low end in glide. The Dart on the other hand feels great in the hand, has plenty of glide, but get very flippy very quickly. I bag R-Pro Sexton Darts from Supreme Flight and I love them, but they are finesse throwers. They don't power up as well and will flip over if you're not careful on the release angle.

Personally, I find the R-Pro Dart and Fossil Fuel Serpent to cover all the shots I need and fill the role. However, the Nova is a special beast with how insanely straight it is, how it resists turn, has such little fade, and still glides out like a Cadillac with the brakes cut. I've never found anything truly comparable. I've thrown damn near every disc on the market and the closest I've found to a Nova was a DX Zephyr. But even the Zephyr wasn't as torque-resistant. If you want a Nova flight, stick with a Nova. Hope that one day they'll release a Star version. (and push this on social media)

The Vibram Ridge is a good suggestion. You could also try an Electron Anode, very grippy even when wet. Super glidey too

PuzzledGuy, do you like the Nova's deep feel? Are you trying to find another deep dish putter or just something with a similar flight path? I think a DX or XT Colt has a similar flight but completely different feel (much shallower). Supposedly, the Nova is just an overmolded Aviar P&A, so a DX or RPro Aviar P&A should do the trick if you like that basic shape (don't get a McPro, they are slicker than your Nova). The Whale also feels similar.

An Electron Atom once it gets some wear would not be too far off, or a soft Neutron Proxy.

You could try a Vibram Ridge in medium x-link. X-link stays nice and grippy even when whet.

I just bought my first Vibram disc - Valley in x-link. I'll be curious to see how it plays. Might lead me to check out the Ridge.

PuzzledGuy, do you like the Nova's deep feel? Are you trying to find another deep dish putter or just something with a similar flight path? I think a DX or XT Colt has a similar flight but completely different feel (much shallower). Supposedly, the Nova is just an overmolded Aviar P&A, so a DX or RPro Aviar P&A should do the trick if you like that basic shape (don't get a McPro, they are slicker than your Nova). The Whale also feels similar.

I don't mind the deep feel of the Nova. I putt with R-Pro Aviars. The are flippy unlike the Nova.

This was always the anode for me. Turn resistant. Neutral flight. Powers down extreamly well.

The OP wants grippy when wet. If the XT plastic used for the Nova doesn't work, then none of the premium MVP plastics are going to do the trick. Maybe when Electron Anodes finally arrive that would be an option though.

Latest posts