• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Nuke OS = Awesome

Was hoping to pick a couple of these up today but I will have to wait until next week as Wright Life is not getting them in until then.

I'm in the same boat you are, I've been disappointed in the Wright Life's speed at getting newer disc as of late.

There may not be a comparison but if anyone has one. I'm interested in hearing the difference between this and a max weight flick. Other than speed

Wow. Are we talking more overstable than a domey Z Force, or a flat beat one? I've thrown some mean Forces. I can't imagine needing a more overstable fast disc.

Ive thrown many Forces in varying weights, plastic and dome. I carry at least 2 at all times. Currently I have 3 esp's, 3 Z's and 1 X. I've probably lost around 3-4 over the last few years. It's my most consistent high speed driver.

The 2 NUKEOS' I have are more overstable than ALL of them.

If you don't want something more overstable than a Force, you do not want a NUKEOS.

I think I am going to join the group that would market this as the NukePOS...I hate it. It is as overstable as an Ape easily. I know there are guys out there who are going to want one, but this scrawny 440' driver can't handle it. The elite X should be a BLAST if they come out.

That said, I don't know how they managed to market the Flick as a NukeOS, but props.

I was really hoping for a Nuke with Destroyer-like stability. Still very resistant to winds, but not a completely different mold. To me, this should be banned by the U.N.

Not that I really miss them...but where are all the butt sore "not another speed 13 disc, quackety yak yak noob yakkety disc down quackety quack yak" dewds?! Does d-craft somehow get a free pass on that?

If you cant throw an XL 450', then quit thinking about this disc. If you have never thrown an XL, then you need to grow up and admit you have NEVER thrown a disc 450'. Learn before you huck...overstable does not equal max distance.

^ Winner of the super prestigious "angry 500 foot club" essay

Harumph!

I think I am going to join the group that would market this as the NukePOS...I hate it. It is as overstable as an Ape easily. I know there are guys out there who are going to want one, but this scrawny 440' driver can't handle it. The elite X should be a BLAST if they come out.

That said, I don't know how they managed to market the Flick as a NukeOS, but props.

I was really hoping for a Nuke with Destroyer-like stability. Still very resistant to winds, but not a completely different mold. To me, this should be banned by the U.N.

I don't know why you would have thought this would be anywhere near a destroyer given Discraft's flight ratings. The Force was already more stable than a destroyer and this has a higher stability rating. In any event, don't hate on the disc simply because it didn't do what you wanted. There are other discs that can.

I have one of these on order and am hoping it will fit a role I need...namely a high-speed wind disc. Forces do okay, but in the 30+ mph winds that we've had consistently for the past few weeks, a disc with a touch more stability would be nice so I don't have to worry quite so much about hitting the right hyzer angle.

I had two really beautiful milky blue ones picked out and put on reserve, but after hearing these reviews I am glad that I eventually put them back on the shelve. I had already have four Apes and have no intention of replacing or complementing them. The Apes already have such limited role m the bag, spending money that I really should not be spending would be unwise.

I am not surprised by how many pele came into the store the first day we had them in and purchased them because of all the buzz they had heard online. While many of them were purchased by the buzz alone, I did notice that none of them came in with the illusion that it was a beginner friendly maximum distance driver like everything else that had been coming out in the last two years. They knew it was going to be overstable, it was just the extent that they did not know.

Instead of purchasing those OSs, I went back to unpacking the Lat order that had just come in as well. I was droolng over all the Colorshift discs in the order, especially the Rivers, Halos, and I believe Cores. The money I would have invested in the OSs I instead spent on some beautiful Rivers.

I don't know why you would have thought this would be anywhere near a destroyer given Discraft's flight ratings. The Force was already more stable than a destroyer and this has a higher stability rating. In any event, don't hate on the disc simply because it didn't do what you wanted. There are other discs that can.

I have one of these on order and am hoping it will fit a role I need...namely a high-speed wind disc. Forces do okay, but in the 30+ mph winds that we've had consistently for the past few weeks, a disc with a touch more stability would be nice so I don't have to worry quite so much about hitting the right hyzer angle.

I suppose I should have flushed out my disc-appointment a bit clearer. My apologies.

I guess it's just kind of weird that a Nuke OS, Nuke, and Nuke SS are COMPLETELY different discs. It's not like an Eagle-L vs. Eagle-X. It's much more of calling a Vulcan a Boss SS, and an Ape the Boss OS. As for the Destroyer comparison, I was more just hoping that the Nuke OS would end up being a loooonnng disc into a headwind, much like a heavy destroyer is, to supplement the somewhat finicky Nuke; rather than end up with a speed 13 Xtreme.

So perhaps I'm just upset that the name is just misleading.

in other words. you dont want to have to throw it on a big anhyzer to get the distance out of it. i get what you mean about the name. but really, thats a really petty issue to have with a disc. if you took all 3 discs with no stamps and gave them to someone. they wouldn't know what is what without throwing them based on looks alone. you can tell a huge difference between an eagle and a boss.

in other words. you dont want to have to throw it on a big anhyzer to get the distance out of it. i get what you mean about the name. but really, thats a really petty issue to have with a disc. if you took all 3 discs with no stamps and gave them to someone. they wouldn't know what is what without throwing them based on looks alone. you can tell a huge difference between an eagle and a boss.

I didn't say between an Eagle and a Boss. I said a Boss and an Ape and a Vulcan in the SS/OS comparison. Plus, I think it's almost harder to tell the difference between an Ape's rim and a Boss's rim vs. the Nuke and the Nuke OS.

I suppose I should have flushed out my disc-appointment a bit clearer. My apologies.

I guess it's just kind of weird that a Nuke OS, Nuke, and Nuke SS are COMPLETELY different discs. It's not like an Eagle-L vs. Eagle-X. It's much more of calling a Vulcan a Boss SS, and an Ape the Boss OS. As for the Destroyer comparison, I was more just hoping that the Nuke OS would end up being a loooonnng disc into a headwind, much like a heavy destroyer is, to supplement the somewhat finicky Nuke; rather than end up with a speed 13 Xtreme.

So perhaps I'm just upset that the name is just misleading.

I dig your point. It's just marketing. The Nuke was the best selling release Discraft has had...so they milked it. They got it started a while back with the Avenger SS. That disc is nothing like the Avenger.

Regardless, the NukeOS is bad ass and I, for one, am happy to have it. You just have to use it according to its purpose. Discraft never intended this to break distance records. It fills the special need of the most overstable disc in its speed. Nothing more.

So, I bought two OS's today, time for the reviews...

GGGT had giant boxes of them all sorted by weight. The discs looked pretty uniform throughout the weights, but each color was markedly different. The yellows seemed to have the most incongruent weighting agent, with the pinks having the most uniform. In addition, all of the colors had different PLH, with the only one being noticeably different being the pink ones. The pink ones have their noses bent down a little and a little more dome. I bought an orange and a pink, both scaled at 170 g.

The orange one threw like the reviews here say. Super overstable, no hint of a turn, very meathook. I didn't like it. The speed was there but the glide was not, kind of like a whippet on crack. The pink one was a different disc. Still very overstable, but the fade happened later and was toned down. While it didn't flip it did hold a straight line for half the flight when thrown flat. I could see the pink one developing the slightest turn with a little TLC.

I would recommend buying pink Nuke OS's. I wanted a Nuke that was a little more overstable then a regular Nuke out of the box, and the pink one was exactly that. It also didn't have the super crappy weighting agent injection. I would not recommend orange, or from my visual inspection any of the other colors. Definitely DO NOT order yellow online, some of them had almost zero weighting agent on one side and a pile on the other. That is unless you want a makeshift Epic.

So, I bought two OS's today, time for the reviews...

GGGT had giant boxes of them all sorted by weight. The discs looked pretty uniform throughout the weights, but each color was markedly different. The yellows seemed to have the most incongruent weighting agent, with the pinks having the most uniform. In addition, all of the colors had different PLH, with the only one being noticeably different being the pink ones. The pink ones have their noses bent down a little and a little more dome. I bought an orange and a pink, both scaled at 170 g.

The orange one threw like the reviews here say. Super overstable, no hint of a turn, very meathook. I didn't like it. The speed was there but the glide was not, kind of like a whippet on crack. The pink one was a different disc. Still very overstable, but the fade happened later and was toned down. While it didn't flip it did hold a straight line for half the flight when thrown flat. I could see the pink one developing the slightest turn with a little TLC.

I would recommend buying pink Nuke OS's. I wanted a Nuke that was a little more overstable then a regular Nuke out of the box, and the pink one was exactly that. It also didn't have the super crappy weighting agent injection. I would not recommend orange, or from my visual inspection any of the other colors. Definitely DO NOT order yellow online, some of them had almost zero weighting agent on one side and a pile on the other. That is unless you want a makeshift Epic.

I agree with the inconsistent look of the colors, but I am almost beginning to wonder if such are being done on purpose to create a new look. Off hand I cannot think of which specific manufacturers and molds are being done this way, but I have been seeing more and more of them. You have to wonder that if the weighting agent is actually the culprit for these color variations and that it would have such an adverse affect on the disc's flight that they would have been pulled during the quality control phase.

When I first went through that very box you were talking about, there were four blue/aqua ones that were very milky near the grip of the rim and almost completely transparent at the wing's edge. I actually liked these colors but their feel and what I had heard online made them seem so similar to Apes that I could not pull the trigger on them. I eventually put them back in the box and I am sure they are long gone by now.

I did not look as close at the parting line as you had, so it is good to hear what you think of them. Otherwise, people have been drinking the kool-aid and they have been selling well.

I'm carrying an OS in my bag but I haven't thrown it much. It reminds me of a faster Predator.

thats what I saw this weekend. Between both low power (350' and under) and high power players (550'+) the entire time all I could think was this is a longer pred.

So I finally bought a couple of these bad boys today. Then I promptly took them up to even higher altitude and tried throwing one of them. Super overstable, but I am going to blame the elevation for part of that.