• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ODRB ITB

Gazelles could come back at any time. I tinker ALL the time. I mean, look at this thread. I like to throw all the cool old Frisbees. And Gazelles are really good Frisbees. They'll be back.

I don't think you tinker that much. When you do swap out it is to something pretty similar it seems. And are Gazelles really that old?

Gazelle was my main distance driver back around 1996, 97.

Then I threw cyclones, and cyclone 2s, and X2s. Because they were less boring. And Stokely threw them far.

I didnt know what DG was back then. Drove by a basket along neighboring street for years and years wondering wtf that odd contraption was.

Figured it was a damn Gazelle feeder. I smell some kind of vtech to the third power replacing a true OG. Always liked the cheetah and gazelle combo.

Going to put together an all V-Tech bag and sell all my old throwers. V-Rocamunga > KC Roc.

Yeah, at least for me Cyclone > Gazelle.

I thought the Z Cyclone flew like a Viper UNTIL it was windy. Once it was windy (which was when an OS disc should shine) it would flip unpredictably. I have no use for overstable discs that are not good into the wind. Mark me down as a Z Cyclone hater.

Premium plastics allowed discs to be designed in ways that you couldn't back in the base plastic only days. Back in the day they used beads to increase durability and had to account for the plastic shrinking, CE and Z plastic made that go away. As a result, it's not surprising that some old molds just didn't work well with the new plastic. Old Cyclones made from tournament pro plastic that shrunk in the mold came out as very different discs than the Z Cyclone. The Z Cyclone packed out the mold instead of shrinking. The diameter of them is noticeably larger than an old Cyclone. The nose is a a lot blunter. The bead is superfluous. Basically that whole wing design is unnecessary once you go to Z plastic. The resulting discs was slower, shorter, more overstable, less glide. It was essentially a mid. A mid that wasn't great at what it did. You could get better results from a Wasp. In the end it made sense that it died. The Cyclone mold is a design relic from a bygone day. So is the X-Clone.

3P says you can't nut on a Cyclone. Why would I want a Gazelle that I can't nut on?

That would be like a Roc I couldn't shower with. And why would I want that?

Last edited:
That is such a creepy smile/laugh!

Old z cyclones?

I fully believe that is a disc that folks talk about being all badass or claim to have respect for but nobody really throws. Perhaps a disc time passed by.

... Please someone date me to claim VIP PIF and put up a pair of z cyclones, they will sit for ever

Last edited:
... And you will find the majority of Gazelles in bags of slow moving one step driving high alcohol fueled grandmasters.

(This post for leveling out pissing on a classic Discraft fairway)

*DS x2 (2 and 3 line AJs)

FB x1 (color glow)
OLF x3 (1.4 S, 1.1 S, 1.1 Q)

TB x1 (color glow)
JLS x2 (CE)

Roc x4 (2006 USDGC Star, 11x x2, 1996 DX Ontario)

Zone x1 (LE Glo Z)
Tank x1 (Champ)
Aviar P&A x1 (Champ)
Wizard x2 (g25 and OGSS)

Taking the day to play Horning's tomorrow. Packed up with these:

*DS x2 (2 and 3 line AJs)

FB x1 (color glow)
OLF x3 (1.4 S, 1.1 S, 1.1 Q)

Gazelle x3 (Champ Glow, 11x, 9x)

Roc x4 (2006 USDGC Star, 11x x2, 1996 DX Ontario)

Zone x1 (LE Glo Z)
Wizard x4 (Fossil x2, g25 (for Stickin' Putts only) and OGSS)

Wizards gave me an ace yesterday.

Less d!cking/tinkering around is good for my game. Tinkering is fun, but simple scores better.

Going to stick with this general setup a while:

*DS x2 (Only on longer courses.)
FB x1
OLF x3
Gazelle x4
Roc x4-5 (Extra Roc on shorter courses)
Zone x1-2 (Extra Zone on Shorter courses)
Wizard x4

Days. At least.
Also, caveated it with "general". I'll tinker, but just by switching out discs of the same mold.

We, literally, have a typhoon in Oregon this weekend. I packed up this stuff for this afternoon:

*DS x2
FB x2
OLF x2
Gazelle x3
MOAB
Roc x4
Zone x2
Scale
Wizard x3

Barring any further typhoons, here's my winter bag. Going to keep it simple this winter.

picture.php

175 Color Glow Firebird (Enough firebird for me.)
171 1.4 SOLF (Overstable and I don't mid risking it.)
170 1.1 SOLF (Mildly overstable. Good turn, still legit fade)
172 1.1 QOLF (Good turn, less fade. Nice straight rollers.)
177 PFN Champ Roadrunner (Hyzerflips, annys, rollers.)

175 FS CS Cheetah (It is an overstable, skippy Gazelle. I promise.)
171 10x Gazelle (Straight to mild fade. Domey with great glide.)
167 11x Gazelle (Turn and fade line shaper.)
170 9x Gazelle (Turnovers, hyzerflips that roll right at the end.)

180 2006 USDGC Star Roc (Overstable Roc.)
177 11x KC Roc (Mildly overstable workhorse.)
178 11x KC Roc (Mildly understable workhorse.)
180 1996 IceBowl DX Ontario Roc (Very understable. Turnovers and sky annys that don't fight back.)

174 Glo Z Zone (Beefy Zone.)
173 ESP Zone (Less beefy Zone.)

175 Fossil Scale (My very overstable Wizard.)
175 Fossil Wizard (Mildly overstable throwing Wizard.)
175 Fossil Wizard (Mildly understable throwing Wizard.)
175 G25 Wizard (For Stickin' Putts.)