• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Off season bags

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey all,

It's been raining a bit (when it rains...) here in the PNW. I'm not a competitive player at this point, and I've been thinking about to what degree I am going to swap out my summer bag for stuff that's easier to throw in the wet and cold.

Just thinking of for example swapping to GStar from Champ in the same mold for example.

Do you guys roll with the same setup all year? Swap to base/gummy plastic as appropriate?

Some stuff is tricky - for example, the Wasp is one disc that's not readily available in grippy plastic. I happen to have 1 out of 2 ESP Wasps I recently picked up left, so I figure it's a good option this time of year. ESP's not great, just less terrible than candy premium. :doh:

I'd happily throw a whole bag of GStar and base in the off season.

I've been loving g* in the winter the last couple years. It feels more like star in the cold. I'm in the same boat as you for the Wasp. Luckily I have 3 ESP's. I'll be bagging those over my usual Z. I try to avoid Z/Champ in the cold and wet.

Where applicable, I usually go from champion to base plastic, dig out the older flippier stuff to help the cold muscles, and switch out my whites for yellows.

I keep it the same but I do swap out a few discs for gummy versions. Drop in a Fluid Enforcer for one of my Warhorses, gummy Crossbow for Justice etc.

I do have a small starter style bag with only Vibram disc in it that I use for wet casual rounds sometimes. It's pretty fun.

Once Im done with tournament play for the year I will bench my entire bag when it starts to be in the 30's and 40's consistently. I throw a lot of old plastic and a lot of DX and KC and have had too many discs break in the cold. I dont try to add in any gummier plastic but I do tend to put in a few gstar discs in my winter bag. I also use winter to break discs in that can eventually make their way into the summer bag. Also keep in mind that if you play in the cold and snowy states in the winter that your form will more than likely be different in the winter then in the summer so if discs fly differently in the two seasons dont worry.

Same bag all year round in SC...the only decision I need to make is do I wear a hoodie or not.

I usually drop down to baseline plastics where possible, and my putters swap from Lunas to something else (I'll play down to -10 F) to prevent the possibilities of cracking. Thanks for reminding me to get some more baseline/midgrade stuff for this winter.

I'm pretty much stuck with premium plastic because of terrain but I will toss an electron envy in and ride a glow bag. (Mostly so I can play after work with the dog). I have high hopes for my proton eclipse pilots. I also gram down about 3 or 4g with a driver or two for bad footing and/ or go heavier/ twin up if it's a windy stormy day (155 and 165 relay etc). I tend to pack a wind disc more and beef my Comet from my 172 ESP to my 176 for the same reason. Or shelve my glow Z and pack two esp comets. Cold weather makes the discs more stable but the wind ****'s me around

So yes I change my bag but I can't tell you exactly how I change it. I do work in some of my newer discs as opposed to well seasoned (perfect) favourites that I don't want to crack.

Last edited:
Have one more tournament to play in a few weeks, then, it's back to my 150 class bag full of DX and G-star.

Been doing that the last few years. in late April/May, I'll break out my regular bag.

How many of you guys take a real offseason? I usually have some sort of tournament almost every month even in the winter and only take a break if I have an injury.

Of course this is coming from a GA native who has only played in the snow 7-8 times(MN/WI while traveling). It can get cold here but playing in the 40s isn't bad if it's dry.

How many of you guys take a real offseason? I usually have some sort of tournament almost every month even in the winter and only take a break if I have an injury.

Of course this is coming from a GA native who has only played in the snow 7-8 times(MN/WI while traveling). It can get cold here but playing in the 40s isn't bad if it's dry.

mn and i will play as long as its above 0 degrees f

mn and i will play as long as its above 0 degrees f

I have played a few rounds up your way when it was very cold and didn't hate it. You have to modify your throw a bit but it's still a good time.

This will be my 5th winter playing DG and it's honestly been pretty easy to find decent weather to play most weeks. Occasionally the cold will settle in for a couple weeks but it's rare. Yay global warming??

Somewhere around freezing and I'm out and I don't change my bag much.

Take a season off? Or the organized season pretty much ends?

Around here, anything serious ends in late October. Besides one weekend league that plays every week and a few fund raiser winter events (which are pretty much outdoor drunk fests), the courses around me are for the most part vacant.

A couple of friends and I play a local pitch and putt and make an ace-run safari layout, or play putter only rounds, but for the most part, I play a lot of solo golf in the off season. It's a good time to work on things, or just enjoy some quiet throwing time.

I usually put the discs away for a bit in the winter and focus on fitness. I find my form changes too much because of slick teepads in the winter. Im better off just not playing. If I lived somewhere warm then there would be no offseason.

Between lost daylight and skiing every weekend I rarely golf after thanksgiving/before daylight savings comes back. So while I swap a large portion of my bag out it isn't for exactly cold weather but rather disc color during fall and late winter/early spring.

With fall foliage and grasses dying I swap any red, yellow, or orange out for dayglo or pink. I will switch my KC Aviars to black and have gone with DX Aviar Drivers from time to time as my one change for grip purposes. As was mentioned above, it's also a good opportunity to season some newer discs that may get more full time play during summer months. Never hurts to have more available for the various cycles.

We've already had a couple light snows and really we could get snowed on where we play almost any month outside of maybe July and August. We got some sideways sleet during the fishing net frisbee game at my league finale just last Saturday.