• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
lol
I was born with esotropia, and so have awful depth perception and poor judgement of distance. :wall: if there are no tee signs/distance markings, it can be a crapshoot for me. I often walk back and forth in front of the tee right and left to get a feel for distance, and the spacing of branches. :D
but I have no intention of getting a rangefinder

Ya gotta flick it.... with pace. [emoji106][emoji16][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol....nose up. Learning on these baskets transitioned well in my area, as they were replaced with Chainstars. Still a nose up putt, to avoid the pole rejection spit outs. I try this on many of the new baskets and they often slap my silly Magnet back at me.

i've reached the old fart status where i dont give a crap about signing up for PDGA tournaments.

I started DG late (at 37yo) and was a decent AM2 guy (podium finishes in A-tiers, New England Disc Golf Championship, etc) and loved playing tourneys during the 1st two years but realized that its such a huge time commitment. even the best run one day tournaments is still committing a whole day, and the bigger A-tiers now is a whole weekend plus travel/accommodations.

But when i hit my 40's i gravitated towards casual rounds, local leagues, money rounds with fellow degenerate gamblers, anything that i can be in-and-out in 1.5-3hrs? thats my jam.

my favorite thing now is using DG as a real form of exercise with the dogs and getting a full 18 in in barely over an hour.

time is precious. unless i'm hanging with some really good friends/family for the day/weekend I might not play another PDGA tourney ever again.

i've reached the old fart status where i dont give a crap about signing up for PDGA tournaments.

I started DG late (at 37yo) and was a decent AM2 guy (podium finishes in A-tiers, New England Disc Golf Championship, etc) and loved playing tourneys during the 1st two years but realized that its such a huge time commitment. even the best run one day tournaments is still committing a whole day, and the bigger A-tiers now is a whole weekend plus travel/accommodations.

But when i hit my 40's i gravitated towards casual rounds, local leagues, money rounds with fellow degenerate gamblers, anything that i can be in-and-out in 1.5-3hrs? thats my jam.

my favorite thing now is using DG as a real form of exercise with the dogs and getting a full 18 in in barely over an hour.

time is precious. unless i'm hanging with some really good friends/family for the day/weekend I might not play another PDGA tourney ever again.
That could've been my post.

Started in my late 30's. Played a bunch of sanctioned events from 2008 - 2014'ish. Enjoyed playing tourney's during that stretch. Definitely gave me a more comprehensive appreciation for the game.

Eventually found killing an least an entire day (if not two), too be too much. Realized I enjoyed casual rounds more, particularly bagging new courses and road trips.

Important thing is to get what you want out of the game.

All of this. I started again playing last month after 2 years off due to injury. I do it now as a way to spend time with the gf. Same sentiment, tourney's and leagues are such a time commitment, they started to feel like second job, no fun. The only reason I kept playing tourney's and leagues before is that I kept somehow playing well and got hooked. Now if I'm not playing with the gf, I prefer playing early morning solo rounds.

Much more peaceful, and I use it as a way to stay grounded. I was never able to figure out a way to mesh the "zen" side of disc golf with the competitive side of the game. And at this point I don't have any interest in that, I am enjoying how I play now.

I only play local tournaments to force me to want to get better. If I can drive 2 hours or less to the tourney, I might sign up for it. The wife and I like to travel though so I might try to pick up a 1 day tourney near an interesting area.

I started at age 50 and I am now 61. I recently realized that I have spent 5 of those 11 years recovering from injuries. My right knee doesn't like it when I throw a backhand with any power so I'm now forehand only from the teebox. I enjoy playing and wish to continue, but my journey as a player has been more about adapting my game to a failing body than about improving my form. I had hoped to play some of the bigger Masters tournaments, but I won't bother as it's clear to me I'm not competitive at that level. Light exercise, good conversation and a few rewarding shots are what my game is about now.

Age mate here (started at 50, now 61), and went gonzo for tourney play through Am Worlds and the National Senior Games (with my dad!!!) in 2015, switched to (ahem, er, ) 'pro' (age protected), and discovered through the covid crazines that I prefer one round flex start events to spending an entire day playing tourneys. Now I mostly play casual with my best friend, tinker on course upgrades, and hope to beat my dad's 'record' as the oldest disc golfer to ever garner an "Olympic" gold medal, when he played his only weekend of disc golf, and got the Gold for age 80-84 in Minneapolis, 2015.

I started at 57 and I'm 60 now. I'm playing in a two day tournament this weekend in the mountains, 28 holes each day. Ibuprofen be my friend.

I usually play two casual rounds a week, sometime sneaking a third. A month ago my wife and I did a disc golf vacation here in Colorado where we played 16 rounds on 14 courses in 17 days, including 8 courses over 8k ft. The stress from two years of semiconductor supply chain management just melted away in those two weeks.

49 here and diminishing in ability fast (especially off the tee). Now it's all about nurturing my son. I get much more out of caddying for him than fighting all day to finish halfway up the ladder in MA-40 against 40-year-olds who have nothing physically wrong with them yet when I'll often struggle in those later rounds to effectively twist my torso hard for a drive.

I got back into sanctioned play in 2020 for the first time since '06 just to prove I still had a little something. I felt like I did. Probably my best moment in MA-40 was shooting a pair of 934-rated rounds at Flip City on Father's Day 2021 and taking 3rd place in a B-tier, being beaten only by a pair of guys aged 40 and 41 or so. I have the three most garish tie-dyed shirts in the county as winning loot to prove it. Then this winter I took down the Kalamazoo putting championship against a bunch of 30-year-old guys (all good friends of mine) who hover between Am-1 and MPO locally (and can crush me off the tee with distance by like 100' or more). The guy I beat in the finals had previously out-putted Andrew Marwede to take the state putting title a year or two ago. That was actually my career highlight, ever. I had very little to boast about in Am-1 back in my youth (maybe earning my way onto David Feldberg's card in the second round of the 1999 DGLO, but little else...he trounced me in that round
by six out of 24 holes), so I'm really glad I had this little late burst in MA-40 as a 47 to 49-year-old to cap off my playing career.

The next rating update will be the first time in my life I will dip below 900. Father time has caught up.

So, now it's about my son. Who knows how far he will make it, but the time we've spent together tackling this challenge (balancing seriousness and fun) has been the highlight of my parenting career thus far. His short game and mental game have made big strides this year. He has 400' of distance (and 350' golf lines) and will be setting foot in the 7th grade for the first time in a few weeks. He's really good with Rocs and Buzzzes, which is a good sign! All I had when I was his age was a Fastback with a Wheaties logo on it that my Mom got me by sending a coupon in the mail from a box of cereal. He's 19-24-3 against me head-to-head so far in 2022. I guess I have that going for me, LOL.

We play the best sport in the world.

Last edited:
On a somewhat similar note- I can distinctly remember telling Dave Henrickson (founder of Revolution Disc Golf Bags) some time in the late 90's that no one would ever pay $100 for a disc golf bag.

Me and my 3 cousins all got Revolution bags from Dave the same year. Three of us would pitch in for the bag when the other had their birthday. Want to say it was '99 or so. All 4 of us are still using our Revolution bags. They are/were a great product.

Just turned 50, gave up on tournaments nearly 10 years ago when I started raising kids. Tournaments were like DG conventions - catch up with old friends, check out new plastic, etc. Now you can see almost any mold at the local store - we didn't have many of those back then either.
I recently played a non-sanctioned doubles flex with an old friend that was in town. We used to run events together and some of the younger guys I play with regularly wanted to check it out so why not? It was only $25 with the ace pot. It seemed like I still had some of the 'tournament focus' to pull off a few throws that I would normally play too casually to make, but my body just can't stay loose enough. I'm used to being done in 90 minutes and not 2.5-3 hours.
But I'm also trying to clean up my game so I can play better, and I discovered 15 years ago that playing with better players will help a lot, so once it drops below a million degrees outside I intend to at least start playing leagues again. Would also like to try out one event as a grandmaster.

Remember when we used to play disc golf without any technology? Just two good knees and a desire to get away from it all? Maybe one pencil between us all?

At what age did you start adding extra accessories? For me it was the towel after 5 or 10yrs... What's with bucking the natural progression of the game?

Shopping bag-- cooler ---- backpack ---- real disc golf bag--- pencil ---- towel ---- umbrella ----

Now its

Udisc--- YouTube ----- Sexton Firebird----- giant pro bag ---- rangefinder---- cart --- another $1000 in plastic etc..

Bah humbug

Started in 2005 at Cass Benton, and I had 2 dx valks and a dx beast, all hand me downs as my discs and I carried them. No bag, no towel, and my other hand had a small cooler. My first "bag" was an old high-school backpack a few years later. To go along with my new "bag" the first discs I bought were an 11x aviar, 11xRoc, dx stingray and a PFN star Valk because that's what the local party store had on the shelf.

I had that aviar and roc for years before winter golf sometime in 2013ish broke them. The Star Valk eventually ended up in the drink on hole 1 at Addison Oaks a few years after.

Started in 2005 at Cass Benton, and I had 2 dx valks and a dx beast, all hand me downs as my discs and I carried them. No bag, no towel, and my other hand had a small cooler. My first "bag" was an old high-school backpack a few years later. To go along with my new "bag" the first discs I bought were an 11x aviar, 11xRoc, dx stingray and a PFN star Valk because that's what the local party store had on the shelf.

I had that aviar and roc for years before winter golf sometime in 2013ish broke them. The Star Valk eventually ended up in the drink on hole 1 at Addison Oaks a few years after.

Aviar, Roc, Stingray? I could probably throw my average score with that setup:)

Whamo 165G, or a 141G. the 150G Masters were garbage imo lol

I started with a 141 on an object course in college in the mid 1980s. Worked fairly well until I turned it over into a street and a car clipped it and made it look more like a taco than a pancake.

Latest posts