• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One disc rounds. . Do you throw them, and why?

Keller

* Ace Member *
We hear lots of talk on DGCR about throwing one disc rounds, but how many of you actually do? It's solid advise for newbies, but I don't think it's ever really explained why . . . so, here's the thread!

I throw lots of one disc rounds throughout the season and besides one other person I know, we're the only one who play them with any seriousness. So I was curious as to what the crowd here does or thinks about them.

For those who do;
1) What do you throw?
2) Why do you play these rounds?
3) Do you find them helpful?
4) Any discs that have been real eye openers and have helped improve your game?

(1) I mostly throw putters and mids, but I have thrown higher speed discs with the sole purpose of beating them in (recently a DX Gazelle) and I recently played a one disc round with a champion Firebird just to throw an entire round of mostly utility shots.

(2) I find it's the best way for me to truly learn a disc, to throw it for every line has helped me really learn my limitations and that of the disc. Taking a new disc out and throwing a second shot with it when I have my full bag has never seemed to work for me.

I also find they help me get out of a rut or one dimensional thinking.

(3) Yes, they have taught me to slow down and think about my shot and how I'm throwing them.

(4) Yeap, quite a few, even if I don't bag them.
Zephyr
Polecat
Comet
153gr Wizard
148gr Roc
Firebird

Just thought it would be a fun topic and wanted to hear what others do. Besides, it's winter now and I'll probably be playing more single disc rounds and maybe I'll get a few new ideas. :thmbup:

Last edited:
1) What do you throw?
a) My approach putter. Typically a wizard or harp.

a) Helps fine tune overall form which is needed once in a while. It also greatly helps evolve my approach game which is the most important shot for me in my old man division. Finally, they're quick, fun, less to think about, etc.

a) See above.

a) After playing a putter only round, you realize just how far and more importantly controlled, your throws can be. Except for the longest holes it's always an eye opener to realize you pretty much can score the same with just a putter. ;)

1) What do you throw?

I throw 1 disc rounds at least 10% of the time and 2-3 disc rounds about 20% of the time.

1) A variety of discs, usually putters or mids. Driver if I'm throwing a forehand only round.

2) Helps me learn new 'tricks', keeps playing fun and interesting, makes me focus more on technique and shot shaping and less on disc selection. Any new disc gets at least one solo round to learn it's unique characteristics.

3) Absolutely.

4) Almost always helps me improve, or it at relax.

Back in the day, having a single 'golf' disc was fortunate and gave one a decided edge over his mates.

More recently, but still back in the day, I would often play 'single mold' rounds, Pro Model 110s, Zephyrs, Aviars, usually carrying 3 identical...I found it built 'arm skill', or technique. It also helped me learn how rewarding conservative play can be and was FAST, as most of your decisions are already made for you...

These days, I luxuriate in a full-bag, abeit on the small side, but would choose a Mako 3 or worn-in Roc...

For those who do;
1) What do you throw?

I do, though I prefer 2 or 3 disc rounds so as to avoid putting without my normal putting putter. I don't see value in putting with a leopard and I'm not going to play a 1 disc round and not putt out.

1) Main discs for this (besides Sole for putting) are Tank, Jokeri, Tursas, QMS, Leo, Leo3, Respecti. Basically anything in my bag below 9 speed.

2) There's a lot of benefits to this. Helps the mental game to make everything simpler. Forces you onto lines you wouldn't throw with that disc; you discover a lot of shots you like doing this. Learn your specific discs - how they fly on all angles, how they roll, how they handle wind, etc. You don't know any of these things till you do them, and this forces that.

3) Absolutely, and I try to get my friends to play them but most won't.

4) Flippier is better, imo. As a RHBH player with no FH outside of ~150', I view the hyzerflip as the most important shot in my game, so I like being supremely confident hyzerflipping my US stuff. Tursas may be the most fun 1 disc round I have ever played.

I do, though I prefer 2 or 3 disc rounds so as to avoid putting without my normal putting putter. I don't see value in putting with a leopard and I'm not going to play a 1 disc round and not putt out.

Good point.

I do sometimes carry my putting putter too, but it is only used for putting, not throwing.
Depends on my mood though, I've learned some good little tricks putting with other discs though.

Frequently. For fun, and to learn what a disc can do, or what I can do with it, outside of the "normal" use.

Mostly, at a short course near my office, where I can get in 9 holes at lunch when the weather's suitable. It has the virtue of having multiple lines for many holes, which works a little better with one disc.

Every once in a while, on a really challenging course near my home. Though I've been known to stash a floating disc near the water, just for those throws.

I just go through my list of discs---bagged, reserves, new and never thrown, old and worn out, whatever---and try the next disc on the list. Sometimes they win their way into my bag. And it's my preferred way to audition a new disc.

Sometimes 1 disc, sometimes 2.....1 disc if a putter or midrange, or 2 if a driver (I'll carry a putter so I don't have to putt with a firebird, or whatever).

It all makes for a lightweight, and very quick, round.

For those who do;
1) What do you throw?

1) Usually a mid-range.
2) If there is limited daylight left in the day, we'll play from the shorts, usually one or two discs.
3) Yup, for sure. By the end of the round you have a real good feel for what you can do with that disc.
4) The Buzzz was not a part of my lineup when I tried it & liked it. Now I can't imagine it not being in my bag.

There are a few reasons why I end up playing one disc rounds.

My buddies like to play Roc vs Buzzz rounds. Those are super fun and shows just how versatile those discs are. Plus it's fun to ramp up the rivalry between those molds, as apples-to-oranges as they are.

I will play putter only rounds with my wife or new players. It's no fun for them when my drive is 200' further down the fairway. I found that these rounds really help me. As others have mentioned, it was quite revealing when I scored better with only a putter. This led me to simplify my bag and has improved my game.

One disc rounds are super fun, imo. I wouldn't want to do them all the time, but here and there, they are fun and very helpful.

As others have mentioned, it was quite revealing when I scored better with only a putter. This led me to simplify my bag and has improved my game.

Yeah, I always figured I could score well with only putters, but I was still shocked at how well. My best round at my home course is -10. My best 2 disc putter round score there is -7, and it's by no means a pitch and putt.

So, playing at about the same level, all my other discs combined saved me only 3 strokes over 18 holes.

I think I may be more consistent in scoring well with only putters. Hard to get deep into jail and take a 5 or 6 and have the round go off the rails with only putters; easier to do with drivers.

Never, but I will do practice rounds with many extra shots with discs that would be a "what if I try that line..." scenario. After a power FH straight to moderate fade shot I'll try a midrange BH turnover, etc. I will then get to compare my gut reaction shot with the technical slow disc shot. In my mind a one disc type round is for practice, so I'd rather just practice more shots while I'm out there.

If a newer player is having problems flexing everything because they bought a Boss to start with, then I definitely get the "nothing faster than a Teebird" rounds to make sure they get flat and hyzer releases into their game.

That being said I totally get the concept of a putter or mid only round with some friends for a new flavor on competition for a frequently played course.

Never, but I will do practice rounds with many extra shots with discs that would be a "what if I try that line..." scenario. After a power FH straight to moderate fade shot I'll try a midrange BH turnover, etc. I will then get to compare my gut reaction shot with the technical slow disc shot. In my mind a one disc type round is for practice, so I'd rather just practice more shots while I'm out there.

I still think there's value in being forced to throw shots you wouldn't. Even when taking extra shots, you are almost always going to pick things that "make sense" in that situation - you threw the FH disc that made sense, so now let's try the BH one that makes sense.

A one/two disc round forces you to do "dumb" things, that you realize maybe aren't so dumb after all.

I made a 80' flex putt around a tree while playing with just a Valkyrie once. And I called making the putt before I threw it! My playing partners jaws just dropped...

I like one disc rounds. Putter is the best imho, as it helps me learn proper form, and the putter flies true to the way its released. If I dont use a putter, I'll throw a mid or slower fairway disc.

For glow league this year, I bought all glow discs...no more tape or lights. I'm throwing a moonshie Pure, Emac Truth, and Trespass. That's it. It's really helped me learn new shots and lines.

Me and my wife play putter rounds quite a bit. We both use Aviars. Played one just a couple days ago.

They are fun rounds and we both think it's easier to be more consistent when throwing just the one disc over and over.

Simple and quick. Not much to think about when you only have a putter, just gotta pick it up and throw it.

I do NOW because its been a horrible week for my discs. I had 6 discs my Foxbat, Saint, and Leopard are ALL lost on the same course between Wednesday and Saturday. The Foxbat took an aerodynamic hop onto a roof and the other 2 are in Davy Jones' Locker. Sunday I underthrew my putter into a creek on an approach. I spent 45 minutes wading in cold water up to my navel before i decided to write it off. That just leaves my Mako3 and my Buzz. The Buzz is more my get out from behind a tree disc so now I have played 2 rounds with just the Mako3.

For those who do;
1) What do you throw?

1) I almost always throw putters. I have thrown mids on really long courses, but I find putters more useful.

2) Being that putters are the most used discs in the bag, practicing with them lowers my scores. I also find that I should be using putters more for course management.

3) Yes, learning to manage the course better has lowered my scores and taught me how to prevent "blowup" holes.

4) Not really. All the manufacturers make good to excellent putters.

On a side note, I also play forehand only rounds. Nothing over 5 speed rounds and nothing over 9 speed rounds. These rounds are almost always solo rounds that I use to learn from. I rarely keep score for these rounds because I want to concentrate on the lesson learned in using discs and types of throws that I normally wouldn't use against competition. I've adopted a lot of these lessons to round out my game.

I like to play "one mold" rounds to see how discs of the same mold in my bag are behaving and changing. I carry three Escapes and played a round today where I used them exclusively off the tee and in the fairway when it made sense.

I've been bagging a Leo3 but haven't figured out exactly what it might do for me, so a round using only it would help me figure that out. It's flippier than I expected, so I need to work that out.

Almost never. For the same reason I never do field work: if I have rare free time to devote to disc golf, I want to go play a round with my bag and all my discs. That said, I did recently play a two disc round (Zone/Warden) at the nine hole course I usually play, and I surprisingly scored within a couple strokes of my personal best for the course.

If I play a one disc round, I'll generally use a putter. Because of that, I find playing one disc rounds on short pitch-n-putt courses a lot more fun. I can't throw super far, and don't really enjoy throwing a putter on a 400+ footer. The Yellow Course in Moundsville, WV and the short course at Hornings Hideout in North Plains, OR are two that come to mind. Great putter only courses.