• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

one meter and close to OB

fatty mcbutterpants

Bogey Member
There has been some confusion locally, and i have looked at into it so much that i have confused myself now...
A player throws a disc that lands 8 inches from an OB line. On the next shot, the player can clearly take a stance that will not violate any stance rules concerning OB, but it is not not their optimal or desired stance. Are they allowed to take a one-meter perpendicular relief even if it is not needed to comply with the rules? And what if the OB is very tight to the back of the basket? This can actually move them closer to the basket, making a ten foot put a 7-foot putt.

guess it is legal, but, and for what little it is worth, i see this as a flawed rule considering how we treat other potential obstacles. I think that if it can be played legally, that the player should figure out a way to do so. It seems silly to get relief, and a potential advantage, by throwing so close to OB. I call upon the rules makers to hear my cry for fairness and sanity.

There has been some confusion locally, and i have looked at into it so much that i have confused myself now...
A player throws a disc that lands 8 inches from an OB line. On the next shot, the player can clearly take a stance that will not violate any stance rules concerning OB, but it is not not their optimal or desired stance. Are they allowed to take a one-meter perpendicular relief even if it is not needed to comply with the rules? And what if the OB is very tight to the back of the basket? This can actually move them closer to the basket, making a ten foot put a 7-foot putt.

Yes, Yes, YES

D. If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be marked by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface at any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the center of the thrown disc, even if the direction takes the lie closer to the target. For the purpose of marking the lie, the out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane.

And seriously, the difference between a 10 foot putt and a 7 foot putt is so small as to be negligible for most players. If you are going to miss from 10 feet, those extra three feet aren't always going to save you.

The problem is who's the judge of whether or not it can be played legally. You always get 1m relief from an OB line is easy to apply exactly the same way to every player.

Yes, Yes, YES

And seriously, the difference between a 10 foot putt and a 7 foot putt is so small as to be negligible for most players. If you are going to miss from 10 feet, those extra three feet aren't always going to save you.

but an advantage is an advantage. on a windy day, a 10 foot and a seven foot putt can be different. I do have some small issue with a rule rewarding an almost-bad shot. there is also just the general issue of the rule, closeness to the pin disregarded. You can alter the angle of the shot to where the look at the basket can be much more favorable than what it should have been. You basically get to cherry-pick where you want your lie to be within one-meter of the OB line. other players do not get that advantage. If i land in the middle of the fairway, but behind a tree, i have to deal with it. If you land close to OB, you get to position yourself so that you done have to throw behind a tree or are lined up perfectly with a small gap through some obstacle to run at the basket.

The issue of who is the judge and subjectivity is null, as that is the criteria we use for "demonstrating balance," so precedence is set as DG is a self-officiating sport. ahem.

You can alter the angle of the shot to where the look at the basket can be much more favorable than what it should have been. You basically get to cherry-pick where you want your lie to be within one-meter of the OB line. other players do not get that advantage.
They do if they also land in that buffer zone.

Baskets shouldn't be placed that close to OB anyways.

They do if they also land in that buffer zone.

Baskets shouldn't be placed that close to OB anyways.

shouldnt is not a reflection of reality, but i disagree with that statement, as would the majority of reviewers. There are a few holes like that at Selah, and they are seldom complained about.

and that is my point. if you land in this magical buffer zone, your almost crappy throw is now blessed with the ability to have a lie of your choosing. seems irrational.

You can alter the angle of the shot to where the look at the basket can be much more favorable than what it should have been. You basically get to cherry-pick where you want your lie to be within one-meter of the OB line.

No, you can't. 803.02.D specifically mandates that the lie must be marked on the line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the OB line through the center of the thrown disc:

D. If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be marked by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface at any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the center of the thrown disc, even if the direction takes the lie closer to the target. For the purpose of marking the lie, the out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane.

If a player mis-marks his lie, you have the right AND THE RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that the like is marked correctly. Either grow a pair and call it, or kwitcherbellyachin.

if you land in this magical buffer zone, your almost crappy throw is now blessed with the ability to have a lie of your choosing. seems irrational.
That lie of your choosing has to be along a line less than 40 inches long. Seems irrational to get one's panties in a wad about it when its often a 1% circumstance.

No, you can't. 803.02.D specifically mandates that the lie must be marked on the line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the OB line through the center of the thrown disc:

If a player mis-marks his lie, you have the right AND THE RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that the like is marked correctly. Either grow a pair and call it, or kwitcherbellyachin.

how is this different than what i said? it still gives them 40 inches to adjust the way they are looking at the basket and the angle they can throw their disc towards the basket. The angling part is important because it can completely remove a tree from you line of throw.

That lie of your choosing has to be along a line less than 40 inches long. Seems irrational to get one's panties in a wad about it when its often a 1% circumstance.

it happens frequently enough that they made a rule about it in the first place, champ.
panties arent in a wad. straight commando since you brought it up.
and you have no problem with someone choosing their lie within 40 inches? next time you are behind a bunch of crap and just cant step out far enough to throw the shot you want, i hope this conversations haunts you.

I'm shocked that we don't require players to place a mini on the tee pad and be required to launch from a stance up to 30cm behind it just like in the fairway. I mean look at all that leeway we give players on the tee. :rolleyes:

I'm shocked that we don't require players to place a mini on the tee pad and be required to launch from a stance up to 30cm behind it just like in the fairway. I mean look at all that leeway we give players on the tee. :rolleyes:

that is just out there, man

Sometimes rules can be used to a player's advantage, that doesn't make them unfair. If I spent more than 5 seconds thinking about how someone used the rules to earn a 2ft advantage, I'd be worried about my own mental game.

I have yet to see someone try to throw within 1 meter of OB just to try to gain a stance advantage. Non-Issue, especially in relation to some truly screwy rules, such as wedgies and holing out.

Besides, 99% of the time, the player throws the disc OB and already has a penalty. You don't see it land just IB all that often. Don't let someones perceived minor "advantage" affect your game

Sometimes rules can be used to a player's advantage, that doesn't make them unfair. If I spent more than 5 seconds thinking about how someone used the rules to earn a 2ft advantage, I'd be worried about my own mental game.

You will find much more joy in this sport if you worry more about YOUR score and how well YOU are managing your current battle against the course rather than spending any time worrying about some perceived advantage your think your opponent may have.

As currently written, the rule is very fair and very easy to apply fairly.

I don't see how you think it will give you extra room to get out of the way of a tree or other debris. Your disc is laying there, you look straight through your disc to the pole. your meter can only be moved "up and down" on that same line, you cannot relocate your lie to the left or the right of that line. So if a tree was in your way as the disc landed, it would still be in your way if you came in 40 inches.

Also, if the basket is close to OB, and someone lands there disc in the small landing area around the basket, in bounds....why is that called "an almost bad shot"....I would see that as a really good shot, risky, but damn good once successful.

Bingo. We have rules to keep us playing the same game in the same way. They're not there only to punish. They provide advantages on occasion as well. The key is they provide the same advantages to any and all players for which the rule can apply. EVERY player that lands within a meter of an OB line gets the "advantage" of taking relief away from the line whether that puts their lie closer to the target or not. And the rule applies whether the lie is 10 feet from the target or 1000 feet from the target.

The issue of "fairness" regarding using the relief to avoid obstacles is less a rules issue and more a course design issue. The rule book isn't supposed to solve design issues.

The point of moving (up to) a meter in from the OB line is to assure that the player has adequate room to take a legal stance.

I don't see how you think it will give you extra room to get out of the way of a tree or other debris. Your disc is laying there, you look straight through your disc to the pole. your meter can only be moved "up and down" on that same line, you cannot relocate your lie to the left or the right of that line. So if a tree was in your way as the disc landed, it would still be in your way if you came in 40 inches.

Also, if the basket is close to OB, and someone lands there disc in the small landing area around the basket, in bounds....why is that called "an almost bad shot"....I would see that as a really good shot, risky, but damn good once successful.

The 1m isn't in line with the pole it's perpendicular to the OB line.

If someone is looking at the basket while marking his lie, that is sketchy. One meter perpendicular to OB should be the only thing the player should be thinking about.