• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One simple way YOU can make this site great...

deBebbler

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
A very simple call to action:

At this moment, we have 150 registered users online. If you go to any review posted 24-48 hours ago, you would not find even 10 thumb up/down votes for any single course review.

The level of your (and my) participation is what makes a site like this good, better, or the best.

When logging on to DGCR, make your first step to vote on any review that was posted that day. If each of us takes this simple step, our members can get the feedback they need, whether they are the reviewer, or a potential visitor to the course.

Can't make me!

No really, this is a good idea. I don't read reviews as much as others, mainly just courses I've played, ones near me or ones I plan to play.

Two other MAJOR ways you can actively participate is to become a guide for your local courses and update the conditions of your local courses on a regular basis.

Its the people that make this site what it is. Do your part!

...Assuming you've played the course that person has reviewed

I've voted reviews up that I haven't played, I believe you can tell if a review is helpful even if you haven't played the course. OP, I already do this.

Can't make me!

No really, this is a good idea. I don't read reviews as much as others, mainly just courses I've played, ones near me or ones I plan to play.

Two other MAJOR ways you can actively participate is to become a guide for your local courses and update the conditions of your local courses on a regular basis.

Its the people that make this site what it is. Do your part!

I do this already too.

OP, I already do this.

Then you are the only one currently online that does it, as I have a review up with only one vote.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not sifting for votes on my current review, but pointing out the importance of our participation.

How can those lousy reviewers get honest feedback on an abysmal review when "1 out of 2 found this helpful". Hell, that's half of all voters. Many politicians would love that!

If a 3 line review has "1 out of 100 people found this helpful", it will get the message across quickly, and hopefully rid us of all these cheesehead reviews that populate almost every course on the site.

*Finds review.*

*:thmbdown:*

:p

I have asked people to do this before, it works for 2 days and everything goes back to normal, so I will bump this thread in a few days when I submit 5 more reviews :)

Then you are the only one currently online that does it, as I have a review up with only one vote. Don't get me wrong here, I am not sifting for votes on my current review, but pointing out the importance of our participation. How can those lousy reviewers get honest feedback on an abysmal review when "1 out of 2 found this helpful". Hell, that's half of all voters. Many politicians would love that! If a 3 line review has "1 out of 100 people found this helpful", it will get the message across quickly, and hopefully rid us of all these cheesehead reviews that populate almost every course on the site.

I agree sir.

BTW, sillybizz, thanks for the :thmbup: vote.

:)

You're very welcome. :)

When logging on to DGCR, make your first step to vote on any review that was posted that day. If each of us takes this simple step, our members can get the feedback they need, whether they are the reviewer, or a potential visitor to the course.

I think this is a great idea, don't get me wrong, but the reason that this doesn't work as well for me is that I never log out. I keep the same window open and click "All New Posts" whenever I return to my PC. So if I see the home page once a week, that's a lot. I think this might be the case for some of our users that are online the most.

...Assuming you've played the course that person has reviewed

Isn't a major purpose of the reviews to find out what a course may or may not have offer before planning a trip to it?... I do always go back and re-read the reviews once I have played though.

I have done some reviews on here, but most of the courses I play are so low traffic it would probably take 100 reviews to get 100 thumbs ups. I'm sure most of them have come from people just voting on new ones from the homepage as almost every one I've gotten seems to come the first day or so.

Heck, it may be better if votes are cast by people that haven't played the course yet. An honest vote of if the review was actually helpful or not without the local bias of defending their turf!

I just resort to cronyism.

"Oh, Solomon wrote a review."
*clicks on Sol's review, half reads it, clicks :thmbup:*

I think this is a great idea, don't get me wrong, but the reason that this doesn't work as well for me is that I never log out. I keep the same window open and click "All New Posts" whenever I return to my PC. So if I see the home page once a week, that's a lot. I think this might be the case for some of our users that are online the most.

I think these are the two leading issues as to why reviews don't get read. I'm guilty. I do like the breakdowns on the reviews. All/Tracking/friends/played/etc... What gets my attention are courses reviewed by those I'm tracking. Or courses in Iowa and South Carolina. I do agree though that review readership doesn't seem to be what it used to.

It's either that, or my reviews have gone downhill. :\:)

major problem your overlooking...

I think this is a great idea. However, after a while some people will start getting tired of reading a review just to access the site. Then your going to start having people just clicking the thumbs up or thumbs down so they can get to the site quicker, without even reading a word of the review. As good as an idea it is, some people will not be on board or honest, and lazily click just to access the site quicker.

Call me nuts, but I've personally never minded getting my review votes organically as opposed to getting them off the bat because they were in the recent review box.

It would be great if we followed the OP's suggestion, but I don't see it happening. I have a button on my FF toolbar that opens up to the home page, so I have no excuse, except like most of us, I'm more liable to click on reviews for courses that I know about, or want to know about.

:thmbup: I'm going to bump this. I hate it when I write a great review and it doesn't get a single thumb, up or down. I think it's a great idea, in fact I'm going to go on a thumbing spree right now.

Latest posts