• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One simple way YOU can make this site great...

That's what some of the filters like TR only, most helpful, courses played and years of experience are for, you can sort out reviews by more experienced players and reviewers and generally get a lot of the better ones to the top.

I think those filtering options(except years) to some extent work against those who are just starting to write and may have something good to contribute. For instance, I have 23 helpful/3 not helpful---on 22 reviews, most of which have been up for 4 months. It seems to me I write well, but getting noticed is difficult.
I got 4 :thmbup: for the course I've rated the worst so far---1/2 disc for New Plymouth, yet its my shortest, least literate review. Go figure.

I'm pretty sure I read a poem review from TheValkyrieKid once but I'm not sure which course it was.

I think those filtering options(except years) to some extent work against those who are just starting to write and may have something good to contribute. For instance, I have 23 helpful/3 not helpful---on 22 reviews, most of which have been up for 4 months. It seems to me I write well, but getting noticed is difficult.
I got 4 :thmbup: for the course I've rated the worst so far---1/2 disc for New Plymouth, yet its my shortest, least literate review. Go figure.

It's easier to get thumbs on courses with high or low ratings than anything in the middle, people notice 0s and 5s on the homepage. I'm not advocating only reading TR reviews, just that if some people are incapable of scrolling past the 3 line reviews you can always use that filter.

I've got a question...

So I want to contribute and give "useful" feedback but while some reviews are great there are parts that are outdated. I don't want to give it a thumbs up because someone playing the course for the first time may be misled but I can't give it a thumbs down cuz it's well written and 90% correct.

Any advice?

It all comes down to what you'd call helpful. If the review is old but was obviously well thought out and included info that was current at the time, I vote helpful. If it's something that makes a huge difference, I might send them a message to let them know what's changed.

Sorry about resurrecting an older thread, but I just wanted to vent my spleen about a pet peeve:

Folks who give thumbs down to a full page of reviews, all at the same time, without providing feedback, or even showing any pattern of what they didn't like.

I'm still fairly new at this, so I'm still sensitive to negative thumbs on my reviews. Just got 5 thumbs down today, after only accumulating 2 all year. So I looked to see if there was a pattern, and noted they came in a batch the day someone else put up reviews for the three courses affected. And the thumbs down did it to all the reviews listed on the first page of that course's reviews.

Again, not to open a can of worms, but what if folks could thumb down anonymously, but should at least have to answer a question: "what did you find 'unhelpful' about this review?"

They should have to list why thumbs down.. and if they do it frivolously or to make their own review look better.. BAN.

They should have to list why thumbs down.. and if they do it frivolously or to make their own review look better.. BAN.

I actually didn't think of that...I couldn't tell the motive. I thought maybe somebody had it in for the person who'd just posted the reviews, and just wanted to share the love all around....then again, I wonder if I have offended someone?

Really, I guess we all have to thicken up our own skin if we want to share opinions, but I really only write reviews to share the joy of DG, and tend to focus on the positives I see in a course, and give folks a heads-up for areas that might cause them to lose a disc (or themselves!) while there.

These things take a lot of loving care to design, install, and maintain, and I'd like to show the folks responsible that I appreciate their efforts. If someone really believes that to be 'unhelpful', I guess I just have to accept their ... logic(?)

I do some big thumbs up runs, but it takes the 1 sentence reviews and a total lack of effort or grammar to earn more than1 thumb down from me. But if you can't spell, write, or even give a fair effort, you are in my crosshairs! :D