• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

one week florida, which courses are the best

Henning

Hi,
a buddy and myself are going to take a one-week-trip to florida in the beginning of september. We are from germany and have been to florida in 2012. At this time we were absolutely noobs to the sport, just began playing DG one month before the trip started.
So we only played Gordon Barnett Parkside und both courses at Bill Fredrick. the rest of time we visited a lot of theme parks.
that was fun, but now we are coming back as discgolfers and want to play the best courses there.
The first four days we are going to stay in the clearwater/tampa area(friday to monday) and the other three days we will be in the orlando area.
Here is the courses list I made.
Clearwater/Tampa
Taylor Park
Cliff Stephens Park
North East Coachman Park
Youth Park DGC
Tocobaga DGC
Cypress Point Park
Edward Medard Park
USF Riverfront Park

Orlando
Gordon Barnett and Bill Fredrick, we have to play for sentimental reasons
Ocala Greenway DGC
Pine Oaks
maybe River City Nature Park

Is there anything missing?
Can you bring the courses into a sequence for me?
Anything to avoid or have to do? Poison Ivy/Oak...
Any other advices are welcome!

I hope my english is somewhat understandable. :D

Your English is great. I would not change a thing on your itinerary, except to make River City a definite stop along the way. Did you go see the manatees last time you were here? If not, then you might want to do that since you cannot see them in Germany.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply blazerico!

No, the manatees are not on our list. My buddy already saw the manatees and for me it is not that important.

And what's up with that poison ivy/oaks? Can we get in trouble on the courses that i listed? These are plants we are not familar with, cause we don't have that kind of plants in europe. One of my biggest fears, that we don't realize that we'll get in contact with these and get a rush. this can bust the vacation :\

Medard is much more fun in the winter than the summer. Cypress Point park is also more fun in the winter, and hard to navigate right now, as the course isn't quite done yet (its also very wet right now). I would play Taylor, Cliff, Coachman, Youth, and USF. I would add Picnic Island, only play Tocobaga with a guide, and maybe add 22nd st, but it would also benifit from a guide.

As for the Ocala/Orlando courses you have listed, they are all fine choices. The Turkey Lake courses are two of my favorites in the whole state.

I've never got poisen ivy etc on any course down here, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Have a fun Florida vacation!

Last edited:
i wouldn't worry about poison ivy too much. if you do come in contact with it, go to a pharmacy/drug store and buy Tecnu to wash it off. Normal soap has little effect on the poison ivy oil. Tecnu will remove the oil and help with the itching sensation. I've been around poison ivy/oak/sumac all my life and I never let it stop me from doing anything. Also, there is a slim chance that you are not allergic to it.

tecnu link

Hi
I am a Florida guy and my favorites in the ares are Taylor Park, Cliff Stephens Park (very busy), Picnic Island.

Orlando area
River City, Gordon Barnett (very busy) and Bill Fredrick.

If you do not mind the little extra drive to Ocala, Ocala Greenway DGC may be one of the best in the area, Pine Oaks is great also on a ball golf course with carts optional.

In Orlando Gordon Barnett (very busy) and Bill Fredrick are also great.

As far as the ones I marked, (very busy) these are some that are busy on weekends and if you can, plan those on week days and avoid Saturday or Sunday or late afternoon once everyone is off from work or school.

Thanks for all reply!
I'll add the Tecnu to my bag for security reasons ;)

I am going to change our schedule a little bit. So we can get the best out of the courses we want to play.

Thanks again for all the advices!

I love DGCR :clap:

And what's up with that poison ivy/oaks? Can we get in trouble on the courses that i listed? These are plants we are not familar with, cause we don't have that kind of plants in europe. One of my biggest fears, that we don't realize that we'll get in contact with these and get a rush. this can bust the vacation :\

I suggest looking up the pictures online. The two plants are very similar, so identifying the leaf pattern will cover both. They're usually seen as a groundcover, no more than 1' tall, though also as a climbing vine.

You may not encounter it all all.

You may not be allergic---not everyone is. And it may be a fairly minor problem, an itchy rash for a couple of days where the leaves touched your skin. Then again, you could be one of the unfortunates who is highly allergic.

good list and good advice from others.

Wear sunscreen, bring bugspray, and carry lots of water. Also it should be noted that early September will still be summer rain season here in Florida so thunderstorms are almost a daily threat, but mostly toward the late afternoons. This means getting an early jump on courses will usually yield lower chances of rain.

Tampa/Clearwater:

Cliff Stephens is by far the better of the 2 popular courses in Clearwater. Coachman is ok to skip completely if time is short or if its rained recently. Its a solid course for locals but not quite a "must play" for visitors. If it has rained recently, a lot of Coachman could potentially be under water around several tee pads and fairways. If you get an early start in the morning, you could play both Cliff and Coachman since they are very close, but make sure to leave time for Taylor Park.

Taylor Park is a better choice than Coachman if you don't have time for both and very "visitor friendly" with excellent navigation. It's also the most scenic park in the area. Taylor Park Sand Slugs (the local club) take great pride in providing all the little details that you won't find at many other courses. The tee signs are excellent, there is a bag hanger, bench, foot brush, and broom at every tee pad. Taylor Park is an excellent example of what other disc golf clubs should strive for in maintaining their home course. Its no wonder they get 70 - 80 people at their local handicaps every Sunday morning. The course itself is solid too and fun for all skill levels.

There is a pedestrian trail at Taylor that comes into play on several holes near the lake so just keep an eye out. Most local pedestrians are aware of the course and they may even stop and watch you throw before proceeding through.

Tocobaga @ Maximo Park is further south in St. Pete and is a decent fun course to play but they had to move a bunch of holes around (including their signature hole) a couple years ago and the flow and navigation has been made difficult ever since. A local guide is recommended here just to save you from wandering around and playing holes out of order or skipping some entirely. Its very close to the water so there is usually a nice sea breeze blowing throughout the course. I wouldn't make this course a top priority, but its enjoyable nonetheless.

Youth Park is a shorter course geared towards beginners-intermediate players and can be played quickly so as not to consume much of your day. Its nothing special and should be low priority, but if you pass near it, you may still enjoy it.

Cypress Point and USF Waterfront would make a decent 1-2 punch on the Tampa side of town. If your hotel is in Clearwater you may drive out to USF and play it first and then hit Cypress Point on your way back.

When you are leaving Tampa and heading towards Orlando, I would make the trip into a full day and play the Picnic Island 9-hole course right on the beach in Tampa, then get on the road and play Ed Medard on the way to Orlando. Picnic Island is in the middle of an upgrade to 18-holes which will not be complete when you are there but the original 9-holes are still playable and the course is very unique and a must play for any visitors passing through.

I would prioritize the Tampa/Clearwater courses according:

1. Cliff Stephens
2. Ed Medard (more convenient to play on way to Orlando)
3. Taylor Park
4. Cypress Point
5. Picnic Island
6. Coachman
7. Tocobaga
8. USF
9. Youth Park

Orlando:

You've already played Turkey Lake and that is pretty much the best Orlando has to offer and Barnett is fun too. You should definitely drive up to DeBary and play River City Nature Park. Depending on when you go, I may be out there to guide you. My office is a mile away from the course and I'm usually there after work on weekday afternoons around 5:30/6:00p.

A daytrip up to Ocala is something my friends and I do every once in a while. We usually drive up and play Greenway early in the morning and then head over to Pine Oaks and rent golf carts and play the rest of the day. There is an excellent little BBQ restaurant right near I-75 by Pine Oaks and we usually stop there for lunch before we play Pine Oaks.

Now, if you want to be really adventurous and do something very "Florida" like to tell all your friends back home about.. drive over to F. Burton Smith park right near the St. Johns River near Cocoa, FL. Its only about 30-40 mins from Orlando depending on what part of town you stay in. Its one of my favorite courses and I believe it to be one of the most underrated courses in Central Florida. It's rather secluded, so a local guide would be helpful, but its a beautiful place and has 22 holes total, so plenty of golf to be played there.

F. Burton has the oldest baskets in Florida (originally from a course in Rockledge that existed since the 70's but closed several years ago) so its like experiencing some Florida disc golf history. When your disc goes through the rickety old chains and falls out the other side, we like to call that the "ghost of Rockledge" that makes that happen. :D

Wildlife is in abundance at F. Burton and you may see huge alligators, lots of snakes, wild pigs, and maybe deer, etc.. None of which will want anything to do with you and will likely run from you. The alligators I've seen there can be enormous and usually are on the opposite side of the ponds from where the disc golf course is so not to be a bother to anyone. The pond on hole 7 rarely has gators in it ever since they took away all the tall grass around it. If you're a bit weary of wildlife, its a lot safer than I make it sound but a guide or at the very least a map is recommended. I love it there. Very peaceful and a true example of what real natural Florida looks and feels like.

IF you do make the trek out to F. Burton Smith, on the way back into Orlando, right when you leave the park and cross the St. Johns River, there is a little tiny hole in the wall bar/restaurant on the river called the Lone Cabbage. It looks really old and run-down but sometimes those are the best places and Lone Cabbage is one of them. Try some gator tail or fried frog legs.. That place serves up some of the best southern food in Florida but its a well kept secret. It makes a nice pit stop after the round since there isn't much else around.

Try to go eat at 4Rivers Smokehouse at some point while in Orlando (3 locations) if you can appreciate really good American BBQ. Ask for a sample of the brisket and then I dare you to try to order something else. :)

Be safe, have fun and shoot well!

holy crap, that's a hell of a response. I wish someone would be that in depth when I ask for travel advice....so jealous right now

WOW

Thanks to everybody for your informations, especially to chainedwraith!!!
This is awesome! Now I feel well prepared and can't wait to get over the ocean :clap:

@chainedwraith: My cellphone + SIM doesn't work in US, but I got a at&t sim with a plan 512MB data volume but no phone number. May be I can pm you.
See you there...

I travel to Germany (Bayern) sometimes with my work. I have played a few courses in Germany, and I got into some Poison Nettle while looking for a disc. It caused little bumps and had a sharp sting that lasted for around an hour. Its funny how we never consider different plant life. I didnt think anything about it and dove right into the bushes. I was also told there are no posion snakes in Germany...Is that true?? Its rare to see them in the US, but I would still consider watching where you step. I'm not familiar with the fauna in Florida, but I could only imagine they have a few snakes.

Here are the courses in Germany I've played:
Darmstadt
Grebenstein
Bad Fredeburg
Lünen
Calden
Eningen / DGC Achalm

I will be in Lahr in the begining of October, but according to www.discgolf.de
I will not be near any courses :\
I will also be making a stop in Haguenau, France, but oh well. I have been to Hannover, but did not have time to play while I was there. I'd like to make a trip there sometime just to play. If you and your friend ever decide to come to North Carolina / Charlotte let me know. I will be happy to guide you guys.
We have nearly 20 courses now

I think you're doing yourselves a disservice if you hit Florida and miss the panhandle. I may be biased because I lived there for about five years, but it's a great place to visit, and has some great disc golf at Blue Angel Park; 36 holes of pure heaven ;-)

It's a drive from the peninsula, but the panhandle can be a lot of fun.

yeah everything has already been said.

I think you're doing yourselves a disservice if you hit Florida and miss the panhandle. I may be biased because I lived there for about five years, but it's a great place to visit, and has some great disc golf at Blue Angel Park; 36 holes of pure heaven ;-)

It's a drive from the peninsula, but the panhandle can be a lot of fun.

really this is saying your doing a disservice if you go to socal and dont play the bay area courses.

yeah, its the same state, but its not the same area

I agree, Blue Angel park is so far from cntral Florida. I live here and still have not been to Blue Angel just because it is so long a drive for us. It is in the wish list & that is where it will stay for now.

Let me reinforce the recommendations for River City and Ocala Greenway.

I don't think Florida is a hotbed for poison oak or poison ivy but to help you avoid it, look for clusters of 3 leaves.The rule of thumb is "leaves of 3, let it be."

I hope you have a great time! Thanks for visiting our country and my former home state.

FYI, the map for Cliff Stephens is outdated on here. The newer holes are off the map to the left of #18 and #19.

Latest posts