• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Online retailers who sell by "range"

DGC, Community, and my go-to, Marshall St. Those are the ones I use. What I like at MS, they weight each disc

The weight issue doesn't bother me as long as it's in a range. My deal breaker is color. Since I am color blind, red/green, discs that have those colors are very difficult for me to locate once they are out of my bag. So when I buy online I prefer to see the disc I am buying. I support local stores as much as I can, the ones near me have limited selection so sometimes I'm forced to use online sources.

Oh I don't have evidence, the proverbial "they" told me.

Seems like a pretty serious accusation, irresponsible, anonymous and derogatory statement to be "just sayin'" Don't know you, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.....:|

Seems like a pretty serious accusation, irresponsible, anonymous and derogatory statement to be "just sayin'" Don't know you, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.....:|

That's not as bad of an accusation as keeping premium plastic prices low just to hold back the growth of the sport.

That's not as bad of an accusation as keeping premium plastic prices low just to hold back the growth of the sport.
Lol... Are you feeling OK?

Hes a troll.. Meh' not sure how inventory would really matter to the IRS. Business or not if you sell online its taxable. Only way not paying would be to hide income. GGGT pays their share of taxes in MN. You dont stay in business otherwise lol. This state gets theirs 4 sure let alone any federal. I can't imagine what property tax cost on a place like they rent rigjht off major hwy in a huge suburb.

If they have found a way to make a little extra by not just handing over tax $ well good for them as long as its legal.plenty of places we all shop at daily get sweeter deals and have major loopholes vs a major disc golf retailer.

Did you guys claim your ebay sales and DGCR transactions?! :p

GGGT has always had a antique website. I dont care leaves the cool **** to be picked out in store :p

Shhh koda!

hey, the guys there know me pretty well. sometimes they put the good **** in those bins for reselling or for ebay...

i've had a couple guys tell me to go get the same disc, same plastic, same weight off the shelf and they swapped it for me. ;)

it's nice being able to pick through and not have to worry about all the good stuff getting snapped up immediately, though.

Been buying from GGGT for probably 10 years. Never a bad experience, then again probably 90% of my buying is in-store. They might have more discs in stock than any store in the US. Like others have mentioned, they are a reseller to retailers as well. I think they sell to gas stations, some Walmarts, and other non-disc golf stores that are near popular courses. I thought I heard that they supply the Discs for the Dunham's locations in MN as well. So, they're probably the big dog in the yard.

Even with that selection they probably are not going to have the exact disc, at the exact color and weight that everyone wants. IME, I can't tell the difference in few grams one way or the other so it's not a big deal.

I usually stick with max weight on most of my discs. If they don't have it, I may try and go with a lower weight, a little less stable version of that disc. Or I may just go with options B,C and/or D. I always have a back up plan for all orders.

Yeah, I don't get the "weight range" or "pick a color preference."
I mean, I don't go online to buy guitar strings and they say "pick a gauge range" and if your preference in "nickel/steel/round wound, etc" and cross your fingers and wait and see what we send you.
Inventory management is simply not that hard.
I also am not that concerned with a few grams of weight either way, but the general laziness of these kinds of business practices leads me elsewhere.

GGGT has always had a antique website. I dont care leaves the cool **** to be picked out in store :p

Shhh koda!

Antique is right. Which I why I've spent my money online at Marshall Street or Discgolfcenter.com

I've been to the Marshall Street pro shop in Mass. It's awesome. I assume that the GGGT shop is the same.

Haha, good for you buddy. Thanks for that benefit.

I'm not rattling them out to the mn sales and use tax folks, so no that accusation is extremely harmless. I don't know why you as a consumer would give a flying crap about their sales tax contributions anyways.

The accusations that are really juicy are the ones about them pocketing the funds from the winter carnival CHARITY tournament. Those claims are more corroborated.

The state of MN disc golf is always rife with controversy. GGGT has nothing on Mike Snelson, organizer for the infamous MN AM worlds. Or Timmy Gill, organizer of the Sundog league that was banned from the pdga.

Has it maybe occurred to some of you who are that OCD about the particularities of a disc, that for every one of you they deal with, these retailers likely have several customers who find their "inadequate" inventory practices perfectly satisfactory? Perhaps some more yet who never check the weight at all?

Haha, good for you buddy. Thanks for that benefit.

I'm not rattling them out to the mn sales and use tax folks, so no that accusation is extremely harmless. I don't know why you as a consumer would give a flying crap about their sales tax contributions anyways.

The accusations that are really juicy are the ones about them pocketing the funds from the winter carnival CHARITY tournament. Those claims are more corroborated.

The state of MN disc golf is always rife with controversy. GGGT has nothing on Mike Snelson, organizer for the infamous MN AM worlds. Or Timmy Gill, organizer of the Sundog league that was banned from the pdga.

Hmmmm.....

Wild conjecture and innuendo presented as facts here is not really about harm, it is about personal responsibility and maturity.
I don't really care about the tax practices of GGGT, the statement was a polite way of determining if you are a troll or were interested in actual discussions about on-line disc retail.
Your primary response is more adolescent rumor mongering and irresponsible storytelling.
I have found little need for the ignore feature provided on this site. Congrats.

I just find it an odd practice to sell individuals goods that could be exactly what they want, but also could be slightly different. I can't think of any other hardgood industry where this would apply? Maybe in the Toy market place, if you order an action figure from an assortment and get batman instead of superman, but even in that scenario that causes a negative guest experience. And as others have said, I know I can look elsewhere for exactly what I want and I don't notice +or- a few grams for drivers (putters on the other hand... huge difference between a 150/160 class and max wright). It does come across as lazy inventory planning, especially as you think of how they order from distributors. I would think they would know what is coming in each casepack, i.e. X amount of discs in 170's vs 150's, but maybe I am giving the disc golf industry supply chain too much credit? It does seem like certain online shops get more max or close to max weight than others.

As this sport grows and other online retailers pop up, I could see this model for selling discs by range slowly hurt companies.

Its not THAT big of a deal.

I just find it an odd practice to sell individuals goods that could be exactly what they want, but also could be slightly different. I can't think of any other hardgood industry where this would apply? Maybe in the Toy market place, if you order an action figure from an assortment and get batman instead of superman, but even in that scenario that causes a negative guest experience. And as others have said, I know I can look elsewhere for exactly what I want and I don't notice +or- a few grams for drivers (putters on the other hand... huge difference between a 150/160 class and max wright). It does come across as lazy inventory planning, especially as you think of how they order from distributors. I would think they would know what is coming in each casepack, i.e. X amount of discs in 170's vs 150's, but maybe I am giving the disc golf industry supply chain too much credit? It does seem like certain online shops get more max or close to max weight than others.

As this sport grows and other online retailers pop up, I could see this model for selling discs by range slowly hurt companies.

I dont think you're in touch with how the bigger disc golf retailers make $. DD didnt blow up just by selling a few throwers here and there. Sure the trunk sales started it but the distribution is what really brings in the cake.

Think of the time to list each specific disc. At a smaller volume it makes sense for a single guy/gal with lower overhead etc. I cant even imagine doing that at GGGT. Its a pain in the ass with an order of 40 discs. They have 100s if not 1000s of just xout/misprints etc.

Shopping on places like amazon is pretty similar for many items outside of disc golf. Good old stock photo trick' specially colors eeek!

Last edited:
I dont think you're in touch with how the bigger disc golf retailers make $. DD didnt blow up just by selling a few throwers here and there. Sure the trunk sales started it but the distribution is what really brings in the cake.

Think of the time to list each specific disc. At a smaller volume it makes sense for a single guy/gal with lower overhead etc. I cant even imagine doing that at GGGT. Its a pain in the ass with an order of 40 discs. They have 100s if not 1000s of just xout/misprints etc.

Shopping on places like amazon is pretty similar for many items outside of disc golf. Good old stock photo trick' specially colors eeek!

IDK, I'd guess the manufacturers shipping GGGT their discs know exactly what they sent (or they should, in order to fix any issues that might come about from mistakes on orders).
A retailer should then be receiving orders by PO number (after verifying visually whats in the order), not by individually entering each item in the system... that should already have been done when ordering.

So, its really not that hard to get the exact weight and a color into an inventory system or to have the software in place that loads that info to your website.
If the big DG retailer's aren't already doing this, they are wasting time and money.

Also, not having more accurate inventory opens themselves up to easy internal theft.
From my experience, internal theft is maybe 80-90% of all loss and it happens everywhere and its usually the last person you'd expect.
So, when you keep your inventory in weird lots of ranges, you can't tell when/where you are losing exact items and its way harder to trace what is happening.

Anyhow, if you're that big of a retailer, then you have a dedicated inventory/shipping team.
This kind of stuff ought to be 50% of their job.
I've ordered from GGGT before and have had screw ups or wasn't happy, so I don't shop there anymore... but, for the record, they seem to have enough time to sell exact discs and take pics on eBay so thats apparently where they'd rather invest their time.

Last edited:
Don't forget some manufactures, only list weight ranges for their discs sold. Retailers then have to take the time to individually weigh each one to list exact weights. That's why "exact weight" is a selling point for some retailers.

Don't forget some manufactures, only list weight ranges for their discs sold. Retailers then have to take the time to individually weigh each one to list exact weights. That's why "exact weight" is a selling point for some retailers.

No, I get that could be an issue, I just don't think it needs to take forever if you have a good system. I'm also not advocating for an additional weight check for the record.
But, like I said, check out GGGT on eBay, they apparently CAN pull it off.

Latest posts