• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oregon Park in Marietta, GA, finally getting what it deserves...

We have made the changes I mentioned above to renumber the course. The par 4 holes are now #3-7 instead of #7-11. We have replaced the tee signs on the course to reflect this change and to show the tee pads as "silver" and "gold", which is what all the locals seem to have been calling them. We have also moved the #18 tee pads back into their permanent positions in the shade at the edge of the tree line. I have linked to a revised course map on the course page that shows this.

CraigD is working on next tee signs for the course. For the time being, we have put out laminated paper signs to help guide you between holes where it's not obvious.

There has been some clearing done on the fairways of (now) #3 and #5. Please don't take these matters into your own hands; rather, tell someone in the club or post here, and we'll request permission from the county. They've been very accomodating of our requests, but if we start to cut without permission, their attitude towards us could change for the worse. The park maintenance crews have also been gradually picking up the cut branches from the fairways that we left after our June workday. Take a moment to thank them for that and for mowing the grass if you see them on the course. They're nice folks.

signage improvements coming

Craigd has just recently finished making a set of wooden "next tee" arrow signs for the course. We should be putting them out soon. We have also noticed that some of the laminated printed pages are being stolen from the wooden tee pad signs. We assume this destructive, juvenile behavior is being committed by the same people who are writing unsavory graffiti on the signs. At some point in the near future we may be able to get the wooden signs stained the same color as the big sign at the main park entrance, and in the long term we may develop a more permanent way to affix pages to the wooden tee pad signs. Until then, be assured that we're working on the signage, since we know it's hard to navigate without more and better signage out there. If you want to print a map, visit http://forum.cobbdg.com, and browse to the Oregon Park Course Maps thread in the Documents board on the forum. Open the most recent image in that thread, dated August 11th. If you print that, it will help you get around.

We also have plans to move the kiosk down at what is now hole #15 (formerly hole #1) up to the current hole #1 at the Swingtime building. Once that is moved, we'll be able to post maps and announcements at hole #1 of the course.

Finally, thanks is due to the folks who have been slowly working on putting the markers out at the tee pads around the course. These will help identify where exactly the front of the pads are, which has not yet been easy to determine on the natural pads.

We are also about to begin adding vinyl wraps on the gold baskets to celebrate the generosity of our course sponsors. Make sure to patronize these businesses, so they'll see that their gifts are warmly appreciated.

Just a heads up, for those who might be interested (especially those who have given feedback in their reviews)...

The new cobb disc golf club facilities chairman is organizing periodic work days to shore up Oregon Park's weaknesses. About a week ago on Saturday, needed "next tee" signage was installed, with more to come. The work crew also leveled and improved several tee pads, including the gold pad for hole 4, where they also added a small bridge to the fairway, and the gold pad for hole 7, where they essentially built a decent dirt tee pad where there was mostly roots and uneven ground. They also put out more markers to help players identify the locations of tee pads, and I think did some pruning of stickers and brambles around the course.

More is to come, especially the sponsors' basket wraps, which have been delayed ad nauseum, but which we are planning to have on the gold baskets by the end of January (oh please, oh please!!). We're also planning to put correct numbers on the baskets, to move the kiosk to hole 1, and to continue improving the tee areas. There are also plans to protect the tee areas where folks have noted a risk of being hit by an errant drive. This is most noticeable on the 5/6 transition, the 7/8 transition, and the close proximity between the 17 Gold basket and the 14 fairway. Planning is still underway on how best to do that. Talk to Kurt for more info.

Last edited:
Just a heads up, for those who might be interested (especially those who have given feedback in their reviews)...

The new cobb disc golf club facilities chairman is organizing periodic work days to shore up Oregon Park's weaknesses. About a week ago on Saturday, needed "next tee" signage was installed, with more to come. The work crew also leveled and improved several tee pads, including the gold pad for hole 4, where they also added a small bridge to the fairway, and the gold pad for hole 7, where they essentially built a decent dirt tee pad where there was mostly roots and uneven ground. They also put out more markers to help players identify the locations of tee pads, and I think did some pruning of stickers and brambles around the course.

More is to come, especially the sponsors' basket wraps, which have been delayed ad nauseum, but which we are planning to have on the gold baskets by the end of January (oh please, oh please!!). We're also planning to put correct numbers on the baskets, to move the kiosk to hole 1, and to continue improving the tee areas. There are also plans to protect the tee areas where folks have noted a risk of being hit by an errant drive. This is most noticeable on the 5/6 transition, the 7/8 transition, and the close proximity between the 17 Gold basket and the 14 fairway. Planning is still underway on how best to do that. Talk to Kurt for more info.

Sounds awesome! I can't wait to get back there and see the improvements.

I have been out of the disc golf scene for about a year now but I have watched OP progress as I drive by and have to say that you guys are doing (and have done) an AWESOME JOB! I haven't played in a while but I am pumped to see the progress that has been made. This might just be the calling to get me back to the sport! I'll miss that #7 tunnel hole though :p

Yeah we all had a love-hate relationship with the old tunnel #7. You can still throw a putter down the path for old time's sake if you like. :)

Also, since you may not be aware, there is an Ice Bowl coming up on Saturday, Feb. 18th, at Oregon Park. There was a work day scheduled this past Saturday to add crush-and-run to the dirt pads to improve the footing for the Ice Bowl. This layer will eventually serve as a foundation for concrete tee pads as we save up to install them.

Sounds cool. Sadly, I won't be able to make it as I am away at my last semester of college (!). I'm looking forward to hitting up the course on my spring break and maybe being able to help out this summer.

We're thinking about moving a few of the baskets to help get putting areas a safe distance from adjacent fairways. Be on the lookout for the #17 Gold basket to move left into the trees and farther from the #14 fairway. I'm also lobbying to have the #2 Silver basket moved farther from the #1 fairway (almost black aced it last Friday, actually). We have spread some crushed gravel on the pads that tend to get muddy, and while this is helping the mud, what was delivered was coarser than we wanted, so the result is not as good as we hoped. There are also a few pvc pipes on the driving range to act as distance markers. They mark 100' increments from the edge of the top terrace. By my estimate, it's about 50' farther from the edge of the concrete patio under the Swingtime building.

Actually Scott, I was thinking of you when I wrote that. As much as I was disappointed when I saw your "2.5 discs" rating of the course, yours has been a very helpful review, and summarizes well all the stuff that should be improved.

You might be interested to know that the recent Ice Bowl highlighted a pinch point in tournaments where players teeing off on #14 are forced to wait for players to putt out on #17. I hear say that someone has already mentioned it to the designer, and he supported the idea of moving the #17 gold basket uphill and into the edge of the woods a bit. If I recall correctly from months ago, I think I remember hearing him say, or hearing someone say he said, that the #2 silver pin position didn't turn out quite as he had envisioned it, and could stand to be moved over as well. But don't hold the designer to those comments, as they're hearsay filtered through me.

Latest posts