• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overloaded terms: more stable

I am guilty of saying; "This is really stable." Meaning it is really overstable.

Shoot me.

Stable is defined as: resistant to change or position; subject to little fluctuation; maintaining equilibrium.

Overstable is defined as: When a disc is thrown by a right handed back hand thrower the disc will turn from right to left.

Understable is defined as: When a disc is thrown by a right handed back hand thrower the disc will turn from left to right.

By these definitions one should understand when talking about a disc a "stable" disc is one that flies generally straight with little variance of flight and minimal fade. The term "more stable" that some are using incorrectly would infer that one disc flew even straighter than another. When people are saying that a Monster or a Firebird is more stable that a Buzzz they are using the term in a manner that is inconsistent with the definition of the word stable. Obviously for a right handed backhand thrower the monster will end up farther left than the Firebird and much more left than the Buzzz. On the same token the leopard will end up farther right than the buzzz and the Archangel even farther right than the Leopard. Using these discs for the analogy you would sat that the Buzzz is "stable", the Firebird is overstable, and the Monster is more overstable than the Firebird. On the other side you would say that the Leopard is understable and the Archangel is more understable that the Leopard.

More definitions...

stale·mate (st
amacr.gif
l
prime.gif
m
amacr.gif
t
lprime.gif
) n.
1. A situation in which further action is blocked; a deadlock.
2. A forum thread involving stability clarification or attempting to emerge any given mid-range as supreme.

Stable is defined as: resistant to change or position; subject to little fluctuation; maintaining equilibrium.

Overstable is defined as: When a disc is thrown by a right handed back hand thrower the disc will turn from right to left.

Understable is defined as: When a disc is thrown by a right handed back hand thrower the disc will turn from left to right.

By these definitions one should understand when talking about a disc a "stable" disc is one that flies generally straight with little variance of flight and minimal fade. The term "more stable" that some are using incorrectly would infer that one disc flew even straighter than another. When people are saying that a Monster or a Firebird is more stable that a Buzzz they are using the term in a manner that is inconsistent with the definition of the word stable. Obviously for a right handed backhand thrower the monster will end up farther left than the Firebird and much more left than the Buzzz. On the same token the leopard will end up farther right than the buzzz and the Archangel even farther right than the Leopard. Using these discs for the analogy you would sat that the Buzzz is "stable", the Firebird is overstable, and the Monster is more overstable than the Firebird. On the other side you would say that the Leopard is understable and the Archangel is more understable that the Leopard.

Which is stabler, elite x comet or elite z comet?

it's all shenanigans. can't we all just agree that overstable fades left, understable goes right...and leave it at that.

As long as we agree that that is the natural tendancy of the disc and all of the above can be made to turn left or right by varying release angles...

Imagine if it was overwooded wooded and underwooded.

I can't believe this debate is still going on :(

JimmyBob: "Yeah i hear they planted a few more trees on that overwooded par 4."

Me: "Yep, it's less wooded now."

LOL

it's all shenanigans. can't we all just agree that overstable fades left, understable goes right...and leave it at that.

:thmbup:

I think everyone understands it haha.......these threads are only confusing people.