• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Overmolds

i have 3 novas; 1 has this problem. it's kinda like a thumbtrack; has a different feel when putting, and putting has a lot to do with feel.

The nova is not an Aviar, not even close

I didn't make that up. I'm pretty sure Dave D said in an interview that the Nova is just an overmolded Aviar P&A. I can't find the interview right now, but I'll look more later. At any rate, the Nova and Aviar P&A have a very similar shape, both have a pretty high shoulder, and I don't get a good release out of either of them (my own fault I know). So my point stands, whether or not you believe the Nova is actually an overmolded P&A.

I usually order between 10-16 Novas per month for the store and there are always 3-4 in each order that have a separation like that. Very common in my few years of dealing them.

I didn't make that up. I'm pretty sure Dave D said in an interview that the Nova is just an overmolded Aviar P&A. I can't find the interview right now, but I'll look more later. At any rate, the Nova and Aviar P&A have a very similar shape, both have a pretty high shoulder, and I don't get a good release out of either of them (my own fault I know). So my point stands, whether or not you believe the Nova is actually an overmolded P&A.

I was sure it was deeper but no, on the millimeter the same. Also compared the rim to my p&a, can't really point out a difference. However I really believed to notice the difference in flight and I hope that's not only due to the 10g weight difference (innovastore. Net only had a couple left)... :D

I'll have to compare them side by side to see how close they really are. I usually take what Dave says with a grain of salt though. If you listen to him in some of those videos, pretty much everything out there is an Aviar.

I emailed customer service at DGC and this was there reply...

Thank you for your order. We noticed that in some of the recent stock orders we received. I questioned Innova about it and their response was that is was only cosmetic and wouldn't impact the performance of the Nova, so they didn't make them X-outs. You may want to email Innova as well, if for no other reason that to make sure they know disc golfers are noticing these differences when they happen.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.
Thank you,

Wade Parkhurst
Manager - Disc Golf Center

So not quite sure what to think. I assume this means no exchange. It isn't a huge deal but it would be nice to have a clean smooth one. 13 bucks aint a big deal but I have no way of knowing where to get one without the gaps. I still haven't thrown it yet due to work but tommorow I will be playing 36 holes so we will see.

joegraham
Sep 03 2013, 06:49 PM
Hi Dave. Can you tell us about the newly approved disc, the NOVA please? 21.3 diameter and legal to 176, but the height is really high. Is it a putter and an overmold?
davei
Sep 05 2013, 02:26 PM
Hi Dave. Can you tell us about the newly approved disc, the NOVA please? 21.3 diameter and legal to 176, but the height is really high. Is it a putter and an overmold?

Hi Joe,

I don't know what they measure for height, but if they got the early ones, they were a little domier than what we are running now. I think there are some pictures out on line somewhere. Hero Discs might even have some for sale this weekend.

Basically, they are an overmold no bead Aviar putter. It feels like a big bead in the hand and flies like a big bead high speed, but doesn't have near the fade of a big bead. Probably less fade than a P&A.

The material is a tough grippy Pro like driver Pro, but grippier and softer on the rim. Overall the Nova has about the same flex as the Atlas. It is a very straight flyer like the Atlas too.

The rack I saw they were all like that. The first one I grabbed was like that and I was surprised at the quality (or lack there of). So I looked to the others, same. I figured it was just their processes to get the overmold? Or the base plastic shrinking?

Either way, I wasn't impressed. Even if it doesn't affect the flight...

A few weeks ago Academy had all their disc on sale, and I nearly bought at nova they had some nice ones but they all have that little gap except for somewhere in weird colors or lightweights. I'm not about to spend 12 bucks on something that I don't think I'll perform well. I think this is something they need to address.

So an update on the Nova. I finally got to throw it. It flies beautifully. It was so impressive that 2 of my buds ordered a few. I still am not a fan of the gap mess but I gotta say after seeing this thing in action it's not a big deal to me. Just got my MVP Pro today and can't wait to get home and set it up so I can practice 100+ footers with it.

Now time to get real MVP overmolds:p

The nova is fine but yeah... Proxy kills it for the same lines and more. The anode makes the nova look silly.

P&a vs Nova. The Aviar for sure is smaller in the hand. Getting better releases. ^^

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0429.jpg
    DSC_0429.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 124

just look at them side by side. they have a visibly different shape.

I think I'm ready to order more novas. As I've learned to compensate overspeeding with hyzer angle the nova entered my unicorn flight collection.

Straight beauty with minimal fade. Parked a downhill 150' approach with it yesterday and after seeing what It can do uphill (mine is 165g) Im less curious about the aviar3.

I think you could honestly carry both.

Proxy is fast for a putter.

Nova is like a mini Ultimate disc.

Yup, the Nova is different than anything MVP makes. Slower, floatier feeling. I'd say Spins compare more than Anodes, but the Nova is a bit more stable than that from the throws I had with it.

Kind of like a Comet and Buzz comparison. Yeah, you can hit similar lines with both molds, but how they get there is different.

The nova is fine but yeah... Proxy kills it for the same lines and more. The anode makes the nova look silly.

Beg to differ. The Nova is a unique disc, and while there are discs that are "better" for various purposes, the Proxy and Anode are not making the Nova look "silly" at all.

(... especially when Paul McBeth throws that Nova and makes it do magic...)

No they make it look silly as hell. I dont give a **** what mcbeth throws as i hope a dude that skilled can make any disc work.

For gripes sake i can throw a polecat or bowfly on any line at 300'ish and he doesn't bag either of those molds.

Bottom line is you will not find a straighter overmolded disc (or any disc IMO) vs a proxy or anode at all power technique etc.

Not to mention nova has less glide as low speed and much more subject to crap form (so yes more anode vs proxy but still)

The proxy destroys any noise the nova makes sorry.

Wow, what a surprise! Once again the MVP/Axiom clown crew showed up to sling feces at another brand's overmolds. Does anyone see the pattern? I swear, same sh** different day.

I have thrown a Nova around for a bit, and it does have crazy glide. Very workable disc for me BH (which is not too common!) It does fly a lot like a smaller ultimate disc. I understand if people don't like the feel of the grip, tho. Definitely a unique disc in a number of different regards.

Only threw an MVP/Axiom putter a few times, and it didn't seem that earth shattering. I forget what the name/plastic were, but it was a beaded putter. Flew pretty much like my JK aviars, and had some grip weirdness of its own. Not really anything to write home about, IMO.

Latest posts