• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Mid-Range...what are my choices?

DJayhawk

I'm currently carrying a Z Wasp, and Z Buzzz, and finding more and more times where I wish I had a midrange that I would be dependable into the wind. Some of the choices I've been looking at are the:

Drone

Sinus AP

Sentinel MF

Evolution X

Star Gator

I'm looking for a mid-range with Firebird type dependability. So what's going to work best for me in this KS wind?

TIA
-Dennis

Star Gator or the Q-Sentinel are your best choices there.

Drones are great, however they beat in WAY WAY to fast and become useless in a short period of time.

Also for extreme headwind the 'S' Demon by Gateway isn't a bad choice.

Personally I use the KC Pro Roc in my bag for head winds, and it works fine, I'm thinking about putting my CE Roc back int he bag for headwinds, haven't fully decided yet, the KC is starting to get to beat up for headwind play.

DJayhawk said:
I'm currently carrying a Z Wasp, and Z Buzzz, and finding more and more times where I wish I had a midrange that I would be dependable into the wind. Some of the choices I've been looking at are the:

Drone

Sinus AP

Sentinel MF

Evolution X

Star Gator

I'm looking for a mid-range with Firebird type dependability. So what's going to work best for me in this KS wind?

TIA
-Dennis

I'd go with a gator, but I prefer the DX. The Stars are currently a different mold (can't remember which letter) than the regular (DX and Champion) Gator-X. If you can find a Champion, they're not bad. I really like the DX. I use a couple of them, as they beat in they get less overstable, but don't get too understable like some Rocs do.

definitly an s demon! the e are not that stable. you could also look into a blaze

dgdave said:
definitly an s demon! the e are not that stable. you could also look into a blaze

Blazes are pretty much a driver, but do work well in the wind.

the drone and demon are the only ones that will be substantially more overstable than what you already have.

my take on it is that if you need more overstability than the wasp is that you should be throwing a driver.

Fritz said:
dgdave said:

Blazes are pretty much a driver, but do work well in the wind.

Blazes don't go as far as a firebird for the most part but are of about the same overstability so ot seems to fit the bill of what he needed if a demon isn't long enough

A Blaze is the slowest overstable driver that I recommend. It's good for midrange distances in the wind and is controlable enough to be used for a lot more than most overstable midranges. They get really good when they're beat up, too.

garublador said:
A Blaze is the slowest overstable driver that I recommend. It's good for midrange distances in the wind and is controlable enough to be used for a lot more than most overstable midranges. They get really good when they're beat up, too.

Sounds like KC Pro Whippet. It is a super slow driver that behaves like a midrange.

My guess is that the Torque replacement will be like a Whippet/Blaze.

Blake_T said:
the drone and demon are the only ones that will be substantially more overstable than what you already have.

my take on it is that if you need more overstability than the wasp is that you should be throwing a driver.

Throwing a driver, and taking some speed off it? I feel that I'm more consistant if I'm able to throw pretty much the same speed on my drives only changing discs for more D or less D.

I may have to try the Demon. Is the S plastic the chalky type, or is it the Z/Champ type?

S plastic is their baseline plastic. Like dx or D, but way more durable. Shur-grip is the best baseline on the market.

If you're looking at getting a demon, they have run some in E (their Z/Champion/Star/ESP plastic). I know there were a few runs, and some of them are just ridiculously overstable (black ones I think). Then there were some that flew a little less overstable than the S (the pink?). Your best bet is to stick with an S demon, and beat it in.

I'm also in the school of throwing a 3/4 driver shot if I need something super overstable in a midrange distance. A headwind is already going to shorten your throw because you're throwing it low, so I like to switch to a driver on a low line with normal power, and hope to take as much wind out of the equation as possible. If there's strong crosswind, I'll try to play the wind wind with a 3/4 shot. I just don't expect to be throwing my mids (or any disc for that matter) in the wind as far as I do in calm conditions. If you'd like some parallels, check out what's happening at the Masters. Cool temps + super wind conditions = 76 SA.

The pink E Demons are definitely not super overstable. I traded for one and I'm tempted to say that my beat Z Wasp is just as consistently stable while the Demon simply has more fade. Maybe that has more to do with my mindset and technique...

I've gotta agree that the Drone is WAY too easy to beat in, even if it is a nice disc. I find myself using a heavier version of my normal mids (MRVs mostly) when I need a wind disc. Since most of my discs are 164-168g, if I toss a max weight Z MRV, I'm feelin' no pain in the wind unless I'm playing in a hurricane.

no. it was the pink demons. the were no where near as overstable. had its uses, but not enough to stay in the bag

dgdave said:
no. it was the pink demons. the were no where near as overstable. had its uses, but not enough to stay in the bag

How overstable of a disc do you need? I mean my Pink E Demon is plenty overstable for anything I can think of. Maybe mine is just more overstable.

scoot_er said:
dgdave said:

How overstable of a disc do you need? I mean my Pink E Demon is plenty overstable for anything I can think of. Maybe mine is just more overstable.

What type of shots do you use your demon for, and what distances?

Furthur said:
scoot_er said:
dgdave said:

What type of shots do you use your demon for, and what distances?

Pretty much spikes and long hyzers. I have also been known to throw it anny and get it to flex.