• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

Damn... This whole time my excuse for being average at disc golf is my 3 back surgeries.

Never thought of using the "Ape index" excuse.

How many strokes do i get for being nearsighted? My poor depth perception has to be worth at least 4 or 5 strokes off normal 20/20 vision.

Play within the rules and find a work-around. Not only will you be a better disc golfer for it...it may translate into other parts of your life that are "disadvantaged".

I am going to use myself as an exanple, so others will have different examples.

I am 5'11" with a very low ape index. When fitting golf clubs, one looks at how how high the wrist bones sits above the ground. I use clubs designed for a 6'2" to 6'4" person. My middle finger is a quarter inch longer than my ring finger...which is is a quarter inch longer than my pointer finger, so my grips have to be smaller.

For my golf clubs, this means I use over-lengthed shafts with undersized grips. One finger does not give one enough grip to hang on to a normal sized grips.

I have the power to throw speed 13 discs but I can't grip the bloody things. Speed 11 discs are my max rim size, and even those give me issue.

All I need to do is take a dremal tool and grind out a notch, and I can throw a Destroyer or a Crank just fine. As it is, I am limited Wave for max distance and a Volt for distance and control.

This is stupid as bloody h&ll. Why can I not customize my grip to fit my hand? Bloody stupid rules to raise money to have a disc mold verified is why. (I am an An-Cap, so I have no issue with companies/groups making money...I want to spend money on custom equipment)

Sure, there are 3 to 5 pros that can have discs custom fitted to them(read have a custom molds made for them) but the rest of is are out of luck.

Yeah, the PDGA can go burn.

Yeah, sorry, but not sorry. There are plenty of people with small hands out there who throw slower discs and still score very well. There are plenty of short people without particularly long arms who can throw a speed 11 disc 450+ feet. If you're playing am, being able to throw further than ~400 feet isn't even all that much of an advantage on most courses. Being accurate, consistent, and a good putter are far more important and small hands and a low ape index have nothing to do with any of those. There are plenty of people who would argue that speed 12-13 discs don't even fly enough further than speed 11 to be worth bothering with unless you have pro level power and consistency.

Also, no pros have custom discs created for them by modifying the inner rim of the disc to make it irregular. The modification you would like does not exist as a product, most likely for a good reason (since it's almost certainly been tried by someone). Anyway, enjoy your dremel and let us know how terribly those bosses fly after you've carved out a spot for your grip.

It's not a non issue. My hands will not fit on a speed 12 disc or longer. Honestly, a speed 9 is max comfort size.

Disc golf is so backwards compared to actual golf.

If one wants an ultimate style game, create one disc and make every one play with said one disc. Otherwise, get out of the way.

Disc Golf uses the basic rules from Golf, that's it.

Besides I work at an event and sports complex with an amazing golf course onsite.

Even golfers don't get to modify their equipment however they want.

ITT: an AnCap complaining about how the world isn't made for them and suggesting ways to make things equitable.

Always a good day to wake up to irony.
Don't want to argue politics on a thread about a new disc, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't advocating the government to step in and regulate the disc industry.

Yeah wasn't expecting the thread to go in this direction. I'll have my 3 Kong's hopefully by Thursday. I'll post some pics, and also planning on doing a video review when I get the chance

I asked MJ on his Instagram video of him throwing the Kong, if it was between a force and a crank.

He said it was in between, but flies a little closer to the force as opposed to the crank. Said it feels different in hand than a DGA hurricane, and thinks he can throw the Kong farther.

Interested to hear your personal findings however!

He said it was in between, but flies a little closer to the force as opposed to the crank. Said it feels different in hand than a DGA hurricane, and thinks he can throw the Kong farther.

This is what I am most interested in. How it stacks up against the Hurricane, as that seemed to be the largest chance of overlap. Interesting stuff!

This is what I am most interested in. How it stacks up against the Hurricane, as that seemed to be the largest chance of overlap. Interesting stuff!

Never thrown any dga discs aside from the breaker a while ago. That said I also don't have as much distance as mj. I average a trespass on a flick around 350 but I'm hoping the kong will get me to 400. I can't throw the force as far cause of the stability, may arm speed can't get it up to get the flight pros can get out of forces. I was honestly hesitant about the kong at first but after seeing some initial flights, the glide and stability I'm pretty confident it's what I need especially after it's been seasoned a bit

Never thrown any dga discs aside from the breaker a while ago. That said I also don't have as much distance as mj. I average a trespass on a flick around 350 but I'm hoping the kong will get me to 400. I can't throw the force as far cause of the stability, may arm speed can't get it up to get the flight pros can get out of forces. I was honestly hesitant about the kong at first but after seeing some initial flights, the glide and stability I'm pretty confident it's what I need especially after it's been seasoned a bit

I'm sure the Kong will be a fine driver, but I don't see it being 50' longer than a Trespass. Actually, a Trespass and Kong will probably have very similar flight characteristics. Sounds like the Kong will be a hair more overstable compared to the Trespass. If you want extra distance over a Trespass you might look at a Shryke or Sheriff.

As for the Hurricane, the Kong should DEFINITELY be better than it. I'd compare the Hurricane more with the Surge. It seems a little clunky and slow. The Hurricane I had was a stubborn flier and I never liked the distance it gave.

As for the Hurricane, the Kong should DEFINITELY be better than it. I'd compare the Hurricane more with the Surge. It seems a little clunky and slow. The Hurricane I had was a stubborn flier and I never liked the distance it gave.

Was your Hurricane a Jon Baldwin sig SP? Those were on the beefy side. My regular SP and Prolines were closer to that -1HSS, 2/3LSS. Never threw Destroyers but used to bag Icon Outlaws and I've heard they are nearly identical, and 'Canes and Outlaws flew the same for me.

I'd release mine from a hint of hyzer to get 435ish, but here's a full flight from a 45 degree hyzerflip to go 555 to the island:
https://youtu.be/0hhSA97miOs?t=542

By the numbers the Kong has a slightly chunkier rim than a Hurricane, but matches in everything else. Rim width, height, depth, etc.

Was your Hurricane a Jon Baldwin sig SP? Those were on the beefy side. My regular SP and Prolines were closer to that -1HSS, 2/3LSS. Never threw Destroyers but used to bag Icon Outlaws and I've heard they are nearly identical, and 'Canes and Outlaws flew the same for me.

I'd release mine from a hint of hyzer to get 435ish, but here's a full flight from a 45 degree hyzerflip to go 555 to the island:
https://youtu.be/0hhSA97miOs?t=542

By the numbers the Kong has a slightly chunkier rim than a Hurricane, but matches in everything else. Rim width, height, depth, etc.

No, my Hurricane was a standard ESP type plastic. Nothing fancy. I sure as hell wasn't throwing it 435' either. I feel like the Outlaw is faster and longer than the Hurricane. IDK, I just didn't like my Hurricane much. It felt very slow and glideless. Like a clunky Surge.

I'm sure the Kong will be a fine driver, but I don't see it being 50' longer than a Trespass. Actually, a Trespass and Kong will probably have very similar flight characteristics. Sounds like the Kong will be a hair more overstable compared to the Trespass. If you want extra distance over a Trespass you might look at a Shryke or Sheriff.

It may, the thing about the trespass is it doesn't have quite enough stability to be reliable in the wind and i can't rely on it for a long distance flex shot turn and have it come back. That extra turn and stability is what I'm hoping will extend that range but we will see. My first Kong is coming in today

It may, the thing about the trespass is it doesn't have quite enough stability to be reliable in the wind and i can't rely on it for a long distance flex shot turn and have it come back. That extra turn and stability is what I'm hoping will extend that range but we will see. My first Kong is coming in today

I agree the Trespass is useless in the wind. They seem to be quite a bit more understable than the flight numbers indicate. I hope the Kong works. Let us know what you think when you throw it.

Latest posts