• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pain- Thumber/Sidearm

_.-Dut-._

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I have been getting a sharp pain in my elbow from throwing sidearm and thumbers. It doesnt linger and its gone by the time the round is over but was curious to how/if I can stop it.

I have seen arm bands used to stop "tendon bounce". Is that what this is? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Its likely elbow tendonitis. If the pain is shooting up your arm its a nerve, stop playing and go to a doctor. For tennis elbow, rest, ice, advil, and stretch. You can typically still play with tendonitis. Are you playing everyday?

Its likely elbow tendonitis. If the pain is shooting up your arm its a nerve, stop playing and go to a doctor. For tennis elbow, rest, ice, advil, and stretch. You can typically still play with tendonitis. Are you playing everyday?

I wouldnt say its shooting up my arm. Its pretty isolated to the lower back of my elbow. I played two days in a row and it started acting up that second day. It hurts right after I throw then the pain dulls to just a mild irratation. I am primarily a backhand player but do utilize alot of thumbers and sidearms throughout the round.

Ive had it before, cant recall if its only after consecutive days of playing, seems like I get it anytime I have thrown a few sidearms, regardless if Im coming off a week long break or 3 days in a row of playing.

Definately sounds like tendonitis. I had it often swimming in college. Ice 20 min, 3x/day, and advil.

Nice, the pain isnt unbearable. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt doing something that could lead to bigger problems in the future.

oh yeh it can be in the future that surgery aint no joke known a few buddies that pitched had it but yeh def ice after playin and some advil.

Players typically come back stronger from Tommy John surgery though.

you have pitchers elbow, you need to warm up you sidearm throws before you go full power. i had this pain till i started playing baseball for the marine corps team, we had a coach who was an assistant pitching coach in the majors. showed me how to warm up properly and how to get the most from my stretching and the pain never came back. if the pain is there after a round i would suggest R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression, elevation, and some Motrin if you don't have any stomach problems.

it happened to me when i first started the sport and i thought it was tendonitis but my doctor said that my tendons and muscles were just not use to that pressure...after 1-2 weeks or so it was gone, but everyone that i've seen learning sidearm has had that problem

I threw primarily sidearm drives for the first year of playing and have never had any pain in my elbow. I just thought it was because my arm was used to it after bowling for the past 20 years.

I throw sidearm, and get tennis elbow from it. I really can't do more than 36 holes a weekend without it hurting. The harder you snap your drive the worse it will get, so back off the drives, and rest it with Advil (Advil over others since it is the best for inflammation) and ice to reduce swelling. Also, Academy and other sports store sell a compression band for tennis players. I costs around 8$, but it really helped whenever things got bad, although the compression on your forearm does take some getting used to.

Also, compensating for it can led to other injuries - for example, my pain in my elbow moved to my shoulder as I evolved my shot to help the elbow. In the end rest, ice, Advil, and more rest were the best remedies.

I've not had elbow pain from any sidearming which is my primary although my backhand is improving and gaining confidence. I do sometimes have elbow pain backhand when I forget to followthrough. I did some pitching, and QB in little league and have a pretty good arm, so sidearm still feels more natural to me. I'm glad I never pitched in HS or college cause I'd probably screw up my elbow or shoulder. I read in a science journal that swimming is worse for shoulders than pitching, but with good technique I think pitching is worse because of the force applied, although swimming has more repetition.

When I swam with elbow tendonitis I had to adjust the end of my pull in the water and recovery so that my elbow never straightened out completely. This made a big difference in the pain level and allowed my to keep practicing. I also dealt with a lot of bicep tendonitis (shoulder) early in my college career because of bad technique, but after learning proper technique it almost completely disappeared and I was going further faster with less effort.

Latest posts