• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PAR

How do you keep track of your score?

• Against the posted par.

Votes: 84 33.7%
  • Against a par 3 on all holes.

Votes: 121 48.6%
  • No par per hole, just the total number of throws

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Tally against who I am playing with.

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.4%

• Total voters

discwombat

Just a quick question about how you keep score?
On your regular courses do you keep score:
1. against the posted par.
2. against a par 3 on all holes.
3. no par, just the total number of throws.
4. Tally against who I am playing with.
5. Other

You should use the "Trhead Tools" to make this into a poll question.

I keep track on a paper scorecard, or my watch.

ERic

the group i play with gets pretty competitive but we always play to the par for each hole and then add it up at the end. at the course we play its all par 3's but we travel to other course where it differs... when i first started playing though we didn't keep score at all because we were that bad hahaha... have fun everyone spread the sport and enjoy it because you never know when you're playing your last round (RIP SDK we miss you on the course and everywhere else)
BANG CHAINS

discwombat... thats a great picture very obvious its his back hand :)... does your daughter play, cause i just started my 9 year old cousin and he's convinced he will be the tiger woods of disc golf haha... good poll by the way
BANG CHAINS

i put against a par three on all holes. only because it's easy then for me to keep track in my head of my final score. of the courses near me most are either par 3 holes anyway, or the par isn't marked on the course. this way when i finish the course and i'm sitting +3 then i just add that to 54 and i'm all set.

i would prefer to have a score card and be able to see all of the pertinent data for the course just like a ball golfer. but not many of the courses by me have score cards available (to my knowledge).

yup

discwombat... thats a great picture very obvious its his back hand :)... does your daughter play, cause i just started my 9 year old cousin and he's convinced he will be the tiger woods of disc golf haha... good poll by the way
BANG CHAINS

Yes she plays a little bit. love to play with me in the backyard, but can only stand 4 or 5 holes on the course. :) 5 to 10 yard drives make for a very long hole. Often I will make her 2nd throw for her and she will play from there.
Scott

I normally carry a little memo pad in my bag that I use to record my scores/putts when I feel like keeping track of my score for that round.

Just like the other thread, I marked other. I do the course par if it is a long or difficult course, otherwise I use 3's...so it is both for me.

i would prefer to have a score card and be able to see all of the pertinent data for the course just like a ball golfer. but not many of the courses by me have score cards available (to my knowledge).

Just an offer -- if you would like scorecards for your local courses just let me know what courses you play most often and I would be happy to make some scorecards that you can print and use.

I keep my score on a score card as well as the score of my friends. At the end of the round, I just start with 54, and add or subtract that depending on the score for each hole, using a par 3 as a base, and I get the final score. This method works very fast , weather the course has par 3, 4 or 5 holes, it dosen't matter, the final score is always the same.

Par? Did someone say Par? Yipppeee! Another par thread!!

At my DG Resources Yahoo Group there's a blank score card that you could use to get you started. If you have the hole lengths for a course that you play regularly you can just type them in. I made a score card for every course in the Triangle area of NC this way.

I play against three different things simultaneously. As I am playing I will have these three goals in mind.

1. Friends - Par does'nt really matter. Whoever has the lowest score wins. My goal is to beat whoever I am playing with.

2. Par - My goal is to beat the course by scoring below par. I use the courses posted par unless it is obviously mis-marked.

3. My own course record - My goal is to beat my own course record by scoring below it. I use the courses posted par unless it is obviously mis-marked.

Yee-hawww! Another thread about par!! I'm beginning to get a little blue in the face, though. :D

I checked "Other" b/c none of your options fit. Since there is no real consistency in determining par the pars marked on signs are often worthless. (If only someone had a consistent standard for par that was universally applied!!) Of course, this only applies to holes that are obviously mismarked and questionable par. The majority of holes really are par 3s.

So on a new course I mark my score then when I get home I use a handy dandy spreadsheet to calculate the CR Par (and the SA Par and TG Par too). Then I'll determine the course level and compare my score to the correct level par.

So the closest answer was marking my score, but I think several of you on here know that I do think par is important.

P.S.- When I add up my score I do it in relation to a base of 3 on each hole to quickly get a total. But this has nothing to do with par; it's merely a scoring convenience. (Did I make that distinction clear enough? :))

P.S.- When I add up my score I do it in relation to a base of 3 on each hole to quickly get a total. But this has nothing to do with par; it's merely a scoring convenience. (Did I make that distinction clear enough? :))
That's one of those tricks that isn't at all obvious, but once someone shows it to you you'll add golf scores that way the rest of your life.

ERic

Yeah, I learned it playing TG but added the score in relation to 4.

Of course, in TG you can also easily track your score in relation to par... because they have consistent standards with a universal system applied by qualified people!!!

Sorry for shouting...