• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth goes to discraft.

He's going to have some kind of Zone is his bag. He probably already had a stash of original Glo Zs. I still don't think the Crystal FLX was more OS, but hey, McBeth can be the judge of that. The exposure for Discraft will show up in no time in sales.

in the bag videos

From what I saw Discraft just pushed the entire lineup and experimented his influence with a minor disc... Zombie. All of those drivers seem like alot I think he will definitely thin the bag a bit. I'm really interested in his putters I hope he puts some attention on the roach or focus(beaded roach).

it was a building the bag video, not an in the bag video, and yeah he's trying out a lot of plastic to see what he likes. He didn't even know what some of the discs were in the video. Pretty much everything except the nuke, heat and zombee flew about the same and landed in the same place. Can't wait to see him throw comets. When's the mids video?

He's going to have some kind of Zone is his bag. He probably already had a stash of original Glo Zs. I still don't think the Crystal FLX was more OS, but hey, McBeth can be the judge of that. The exposure for Discraft will show up in no time in sales.
Those original Glo Z Zone's are to die for. legitimately saved me sooo many strokes and carded 3 aces with the 2 Glo Z Zones I own

I think, though, that the equation changes depending on how much it costs to make a disc.
My admittedly speculative guess is that discs cost much less to make than $15. Most wholesalers and manufacturers and retailers will price their product at about double their cost.
So a reasonable manufacturing cost for DX is probably ~$2, Pro maybe $3.50, Champ maybe $4-5 and Star maybe $5. Realistically, these numbers are probably high.
With figures like these, the calculation changes. How many extra discs will Discraft need to make to make a reasonable ROI?
From where I stand, it was genius to get Paul...

ROI when it comes to marketing/branding is not always easy. I'm almost certain Discraft is not expecting to have a direct ROI from a 'Disc Revenue Increase' - 'What we Pay Paul' at least in the short term. Maybe they are, and that would be cool, but if a business is trying to make their brand relevant in a market that has steady growth in both consumer size and competition they are going to have to take some risk and think long term. Discraft is likely looking far past the 4 year contract with Paul. I personally think it was a very smart move (*as long as they take marketing seriously moving forward) and well worth the investment in their new team. It's not like they are starting from nothing. They are already the 2nd biggest company in the Disc Golf market (I think) and have a brand all the current players are aware of and respect, but have certainly let their brand fizzle a bit in recent years. When you look at growth and the amount of new consumers flooding into the market every year Discraft is in a position to make their brand the most visible in the sport and that is going to equal long term gains far above what they will pay and maybe keep paying Paul.

I like the fizzling or sitting back feeling about Discraft conveyed earlier... they make a good product but haven't necessarily kept up with current marketing trends..

I kinda feel like they are the BlackBerry of the disc world.. do something to get more market share before they are totally left behind with only devote loyalists buying their plastic. I think the new plastic options are sweet and smart and you can't fight the appeal of putting flight numbers on discs but it won't have the dramatic impact on their brand that Paul will.

I don't know; the more I think about, the more annoyed I get with Discraft.

When I first started, they had all the videos with Ellis and Papa, then they seemed to just give up. They haven't done much of anything in the last 5+ years to improve their image or solidify their brand.

So, what does it seem like they do?

Look guys, we have no imagination, no incentive to come up with our own way to up our image and build a brand; what say we just buy McBeth and a few video guys to make some flashy clips and see if that works?

This is nothing against Paul, it just seems rather lame. They didn't reinvent themselves, they just bought a new image.

We'll see how it works. I'm just venting a bit, but this whole thing just kind of rubs me the wrong way including having a bozo like MTL as a spokesmen. And to be honest, I care more about what Uli is going to bag than McBeth, even though McBeth is one of my favorite players to watch.

What are all the things that Innova (or anyone else) is doing differently? Disc companies make new discs, sign team members, sponsor events, put out videos.

Uli has mentioned that they are about to start doing clinics and videos again. Not sure what else they can do to be "innovative" at the moment. They are showing they are committed to the sport, and that's enough for this Discraft lover

When I first started, they had all the videos with Ellis and Papa, then they seemed to just give up. They haven't done much of anything in the last 5+ years to improve their image or solidify their brand.

Look guys, we have no imagination, no incentive to come up with our own way to up our image and build a brand; what say we just buy McBeth and a few video guys to make some flashy clips and see if that works?

This is nothing against Paul, it just seems rather lame. They didn't reinvent themselves, they just bought a new image.

We'll see how it works. I'm just venting a bit, but this whole thing just kind of rubs me the wrong way including having a bozo like MTL as a spokesmen. And to be honest, I care more about what Uli is going to bag than McBeth, even though McBeth is one of my favorite players to watch.

Not sure I would agree. I don't think there are other disc companies doing huge innovations that are revolutionizing the product or the game. Discraft has been in the game longer than most and as successfully as most. Really signing a player and putting out snazzy clips is what disc companies do.

I don't think disc companies have a ton of options. I mean, they could buy an ad during the Superbowl, rent one of those signs that drag behind a plane or maybe put ads on billboards? They sponsor tournaments, advertise in disc golf related media, hire spokespeople and make videos. They certainly are not beholden to making me happy, just enough disc golfers to sell discs.

I don't personally know MTL, so I have no real passion for him speaking for the brand, one way or another. I think McBeth and Uli, to a lesser degree will have a big impact on sales. That was the intent. I understand that Discraft now is utilizing a blog "Underground". This is a new inventive way to reach out to a younger market.....something that I have not seen from other manufacturers.

Who is MTL?

Robert Leonard. He's dedicated a lot of his life to growing the sport. He just doesn't represent himself well here. He comes off intolerably arrogant. After enduring a lot of grief from a lot of people (myself included), he rage quit years ago in epic fashion after someone changed his title to "I think I'm important", and Tim wouldn't change it back for free just because his feelings were hurt.

He's back now and is much more reserved than in the past, but he was back to his old ways around the time McBeth-mania was reaching its peak. Being sponsored by Discraft, he knew before most and smugly held it over people's heads like a bratty little brother.

If you want a good laugh, followed by many facepalms, check out his rage quit in the landfill.

I don't really give a red rats rump about any manufacturers sponsorships, advertising or instructional videos. That's not to say I don't watch those ads or know who is sponsored by what company, but if all that went away tomorrow I wouldn't be affected.

Can you explain why you are annoyed?

Proof/pudding
Was at my local pro shop today, scouting out new purchases.
I eyeball the row of Zombees & the owner tells me they have been selling pretty well lately.
Hmmmmmmm......

Latest posts