• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul's New Fairway (Anax)

I don't think the Anax is quite as slow as an 8 speed, but it's definitely a 9 speed.

I took my micrometer and measured the average of an Anax's rim to be 18.8mm, while the average of a Thunderbird's rim to be 19.1mm. By rim size alone, the Thunderbird is ever so slightly faster, but the Anax has a slightly sharper nose than the Thunderbird, so it might cut through the air slightly faster than the Thunderbird, while the Thunderbird should have a little more sustain to its spin (these hypotheticals should be very subtle and not very noticeable given such small differences). I found the wing shape of both the Anax and Thunderbird to be identical. They definitely feel different in the hand to me though, and I attribute that to the sharpness of the Anax vs the more blunted Thunderbird.

Flightwise, I feel Anax is a less stable Thunderbird. Maybe a little faster in the air, but more erratic. I've had an Anax or two flip on me easier into a headwind than any Star or Champ Thunderbird. To me, if a Thunderbird out of the box is a 9/5/03, then an Anax out of the box is a 9/5/-.5/3. Beat both in over a course of a couple months, and they lose their harsh 3 fade and it probably goes down to 2. Thunderbird manages to keep its high speed stability, while the Anax still has a small proclivity to flip up or drift more than the Thunderbird.

I agree that the Anax speed rating is over the top, the same goes for the rest of the Discraft fairway lineup (the ones I've thrown. Both the Anax and the Vulture feels like speed 9's and the Undertaker feels like an 8 at most, and rim sizes confirms this.

I also think the distance and glide of the Anax is overestimated. I haven't got a beat in one yet but out of the box they aren't any longer than the other speed 9's I've thrown. It's a basic overstable speed 9 IMO but it sits better in my hands than the Thunderbirds and Getaways I've been throwing.

Y'all are making me want to throw an Anax for a little while now and see if it actually flies like I want. All I have for ESP Anaxs are a brown 1060 and a too pretty to throw stock run unfortunately. I've got several of the LE Z ones though.

1060 Anax are the best throwers. Nice dome and glide to them. Good high speed stability. My longest Anax for sure. I sold all but the one in my bag cause I hate having $75 replacements sitting on the shelf.
I have found a few recent runs to have a good even dome and similar flight. Pairs well with a first run thats got a little extra beef and flatness