• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA # 50,000

Support for the PDGA and game of disc golf?

Yes, then No. I don't think it's a good model to grow the sport honestly.

Yes - if I decide to continue to play competitively then supporting the PDGA with my dollars makes sense.

If I want to grow the sport, I would do as I'm doing - host a few tournaments a year (so far all non-PDGA) like local fun tourneys, ace race, birdie bash, etc. Build a course in my area. Those things are tangible. If we don't have the time and/or talent, then there's monetary investment.

Fortunately and unfortunately we live in a capitalistic world where we expect a return on investment for things. If I'm playing a few PDGA events, then it is worth it. If I don't play events, where does my $50 go - besides a black disc I won't use? EDIT - I do like the magazine... hmmm and I like to support the paper industry. So there's that.

Maybe it's a good deal - the PDGA needs to tell me the reason WHY to stay current. If the money went towards a subscription service for live streaming events, that would be awesome. It does need to go into something tangible that I know about, and not into a nebulous of space where magically my registration money grew the sport in a distant way.

Last edited:
I am maybe too new to comment as I want to get better at the sport before I buy my number, but I see the good in supporting the governing body of the sport if you are going to compete in the tournaments it presides over. (Also if you want to show solidarity to an organisation that oversees the sport you love)

Dan Roddick still plays the occasional tourney and is PDGA #3, which means he was in the room when Ed Headrick came up with it.

Has it hit #80000 yet? I'm guessing membership sales slow way down in the summer, then spike in October. That's when I plan on getting mine.

Brute force tells me it's between 77,000 and 77,500
Then I got lazy
Plus I think it takes a bit to load up the brand new members with profile pages maybe?
I have a buddy that is also going to sign up in October.

Yes, then No. I don't think it's a good model to grow the sport honestly.

Yes - if I decide to continue to play competitively then supporting the PDGA with my dollars makes sense.

If I want to grow the sport, I would do as I'm doing - host a few tournaments a year (so far all non-PDGA) like local fun tourneys, ace race, birdie bash, etc. Build a course in my area. Those things are tangible. If we don't have the time and/or talent, then there's monetary investment.

Fortunately and unfortunately we live in a capitalistic world where we expect a return on investment for things. If I'm playing a few PDGA events, then it is worth it. If I don't play events, where does my $50 go - besides a black disc I won't use? EDIT - I do like the magazine... hmmm and I like to support the paper industry. So there's that.

Maybe it's a good deal - the PDGA needs to tell me the reason WHY to stay current. If the money went towards a subscription service for live streaming events, that would be awesome. It does need to go into something tangible that I know about, and not into a nebulous of space where magically my registration money grew the sport in a distant way.

Interesting read especially since you are from the midwest and very active PDGA scene. States that are very Pro PDGA seem to have more courses, tournaments, players, etc... They also tend to have the most active clubs and organization. IMO it's a mindset of supporting and organization and growing it every way possible. Encouraging players to not only join the PDGA but also their local club. Encourage them to volunteer and play events. Areas that are doing that tend to have the most active scene.

Interesting read especially since you are from the midwest and very active PDGA scene. States that are very Pro PDGA seem to have more courses, tournaments, players, etc... They also tend to have the most active clubs and organization. IMO it's a mindset of supporting and organization and growing it every way possible. Encouraging players to not only join the PDGA but also their local club. Encourage them to volunteer and play events. Areas that are doing that tend to have the most active scene.

I would be really interested to see the relationship between PDGA membership vs. number of courses/course density, however I think the correlation is due to courses causing more people playing, causing more PDGA members.
Also, many courses will spawn many clubs. Minnesota is great for courses. In the twin cities metro it's a catch 22 for me, there are many clubs but they are very competitive, and expensive. At a smaller course/area I find the clubs more casual with little to no money at stake. If I pay $7 to play with league guys it just goes to the local pros.
Anyway...
I see the PDGA for people ALREADY in the sport (professional disc golf association) so I don't see my money there going towards growing the sport. Now if the PDGA brought some good media attention to the ignorant public, and held public events I would think more about putting my money there.
If I want brand new people to play the game, I don't see PDGA tourneys doing that, I see local hometown casual events (like tourneys, birdie bash, ace race) doing the sport growing.
I personally joined because I wanted a number that would somewhat represent when I got serious (although I missed that by about 3 years) and because I wanted to get a rating, but didn't expect it to do any sport growing.

It's now 77407. Averaging about 15 new members per day. Not surprisingly, it slows down a lot as it gets closer to Oct 1. It was more like 25-30 per day earlier in the year. At this pace, it will 77800-77900 on Oct 1, then I'm sure the pace will really pick up till the end of the year.

Prob gonna be a lot of people signing up today with the new pdga calander year

Latest posts