• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Executive Director Resigns

Interesting to see if we get any candidates from our disc golf equipment manufacturing sector. Or perhaps that would be seen as too much conflict of interest.

Raise money for what?
Isn't that the constant drumbeat of Pro Disc Golf? We need sponsorship, sponsorship and more sponsorship. More money-money-money for Pro disc golfers. So hire somebody who has all the corporate connections who can bring in that big-dollar title sponsorship for the NT and see what happens. It seems to be what the pro disc golfers want, anyway.

Isn't that the constant drumbeat of Pro Disc Golf? We need sponsorship, sponsorship and more sponsorship. More money-money-money for Pro disc golfers. So hire somebody who has all the corporate connections who can bring in that big-dollar title sponsorship for the NT and see what happens. It seems to be what the pro disc golfers want, anyway.

Unfortunately I think you are correct.

PDGA should get out of the pro business anyway. They do far more to support AM golf and they should let manufacturers continue to grow the pro side. IMO>

PDGA should get out of the pro business anyway. They do far more to support AM golf and they should let manufacturers continue to grow the pro side. IMO>

Agreed. Steve Dodge made some great points about how a separation could be a good thing. Drop the NT and shift focus to maintaining the rules of the game and sanctioning of tiered events and leagues.

Almost completely agree.

I think the PDGA currently does far more for the pro side than for the AM side, but aside from that. Your statement describes what I would want the PDGA to do.

They post a general call for applications for just about every job opening they have had since they hired Graham ten years ago (and his hiring was after an open application process). They did it when they hired the current Tour Manager, Events Manager and Membership Manager. The only jobs I'm aware of within the PDGA that were not widely posted for application were ones they created with a specific candidate in mind, usually someone who was doing the job already (like the Media Manager or IT Manager positions). If/when those spots come open, I expect they'll be posted for folks to apply for as well.

I'd say if you are truly interested in applying for the ED spot, or any post within the PDGA, keep an eye on the website (and social media) because that's the first place they'll make such announcements.

So are you interested in the job?

So are you interested in the job?

Not in the least. I'm under-qualified (based on what I recall being the criteria back when BG was hired) and it involves a lot of things I'm not all that good at or interested in doing. There are positions within the PDGA I might be better suited for and might be interested in down the road, but definitely not the ED spot.

I think it will be Steve Dodge

Steve would be a very interesting choice however there is no chance that he would be offered that position.

This is not up to public vote or something that is appointed Buy a panel of people with in the sport This is likely something the Board of Directors will hire .

I have no idea but I can't imagine the board was very please with the way Steve handled the whole Bradley William suspension. I completely agree with his stance however I doubt they did.

Even without that Steve's vision is mainly for the pro side. A quick trip to the mission statement of the organization and you can see that doesn't quite line up with what Steve says or does

True, but you never know who you might miss if you aren't reaching out with a broader net.
I have a masters in nonprofit management and am currently an ED for a state organization, for instance, and would happily apply.

Looking inward sometimes stifles growth opportunities.

Don't disagree, but I'd think knowing the TDS, tournament management , and tour management, aka Steve Dodge is going to be an asset.

No specific comments on potential candidates since I'll be working with whoever is chosen. I just hope they'll have the will and be able to summon the resources to move forward on some program possibilities to benefit all members that have been stalled for a few years.

Not in the least. I'm under-qualified (based on what I recall being the criteria back when BG was hired) and it involves a lot of things I'm not all that good at or interested in doing. There are positions within the PDGA I might be better suited for and might be interested in down the road, but definitely not the ED spot.

Bummer.

But on the plus side, that means you will still be here! ;)

Steve would be a very interesting choice however there is no chance that he would be offered that position.

This is not up to public vote or something that is appointed Buy a panel of people with in the sport This is likely something the Board of Directors will hire .

I have no idea but I can't imagine the board was very please with the way Steve handled the whole Bradley William suspension. I completely agree with his stance however I doubt they did.

Even without that Steve's vision is mainly for the pro side. A quick trip to the mission statement of the organization and you can see that doesn't quite line up with what Steve says or does

From what I understand the position is going to be an open application, not an appointment. That said, I don't see Dodge taking his focus away from the Pro Tour, especially with its expansion for 2017. That doesn't seem to align with his current goals.

From what I understand the position is going to be an open application, not an appointment. That said, I don't see Dodge taking his focus away from the Pro Tour, especially with its expansion for 2017. That doesn't seem to align with his current goals.

Yep, and he can't do both without a conflict of interest. Something I wish our politicians understood better.

No specific comments on potential candidates since I'll be working with whoever is chosen. I just hope they'll have the will and be able to summon the resources to move forward on some program possibilities to benefit all members that have been stalled for a few years.

Yes, Super Class has been sorely neglected...

Don't worry, everyone, I'm sure they will choose a disc golf insider/lifer to maintain the status quo and lead the charge into the future with Disc Golfer Magazine and y'alls precious live coverage.

Keep trying to grow from the top down...