• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

Down 1 again, to 955.
Only one new tournament got added, and yet again, I'm unhappy with the unofficial-to-official ratings drop.
Course 1:
939 -> 941 (up 2)
916 -> 911 (down 5)
Course 2 (first time this new course layout was used in a PDGA event):
994 -> 993 (down 1)
966 -> 949 (down 17)

Of course, the initial ratings had rounds 3 and 4 with separate scales. Once the ratings became official, they combined the rounds to a common rating scale. Round 3 stayed about the same going from initial to official. Round 4 dropped 17 damn points...

round 4 sounds like there was td error on the initial input.

Down 1 again, to 955.
Only one new tournament got added, and yet again, I'm unhappy with the unofficial-to-official ratings drop.
Course 1:
939 -> 941 (up 2)
916 -> 911 (down 5)
Course 2 (first time this new course layout was used in a PDGA event):
994 -> 993 (down 1)
966 -> 949 (down 17)

Of course, the initial ratings had rounds 3 and 4 with separate scales. Once the ratings became official, they combined the rounds to a common rating scale. Round 3 stayed about the same going from initial to official. Round 4 dropped 17 damn points...

round 4 sounds like there was td error on the initial input.
Lake Olmstead, Augusta, GA
Tournament in question (rds 3, 4): http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/16904
Historical reference 1 (rd 4): http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/17042
Historical reference 2 (rds 3, 4): http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/14905
Historical reference 3 (rds 3, 4): http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/12988

Historically, a 50 is a 1000 rated round. There were a couple of changes to the course this year, and I guessed it played maybe a half stroke easier. I was disappointed that my 49 was only 994 (thought it should be more like 1005), but a 53 at 966 was pretty close to the historical data. But, like just about every tournament I play, my mind is blown at the change in ratings from unofficial to official.

Up 7 to 918! Slowly starting to climb out of my post Worlds 2013 slump. Hoping to finally hit that 935 mark for the first time in the Spring season...

Quick question: I played my first PDGA tournament in November, I know I can just wait until the 16th to find out my real rating but if I only have 1 event played can't i just average out those rounds to know my rating before it is official? I'm sorta bored and have nothing to do and it's killing me to wait more lol. My four rated rounds (including final 9) were 882, 886, 940 and 888 so won't it just be 899?

Final 9s do not get ratings (has to be at least 13 holes to get a round rating). If you are looking at ratings online for the Piney Woods event right now, they are unofficial. That event will get official ratings in the Dec 16th update but all three round ratings will likely change from the unofficial values because those same course layouts were played by other divisions in other rounds.

Quick question: I played my first PDGA tournament in November, I know I can just wait until the 16th to find out my real rating but if I only have 1 event played can't i just average out those rounds to know my rating before it is official? I'm sorta bored and have nothing to do and it's killing me to wait more lol. My four rated rounds (including final 9) were 882, 886, 940 and 888 so won't it just be 899?

If you don't have an official rating yet, then that means the numbers you're looking at for that one tournament aren't official either. So no matter how you slice the math on those numbers, you're only going to get a close approximation of what your rating will be. Which might be enough to go on if it's a matter of figuring out what division to play in your next event...or, considering how close your estimate is to the dividing line between MA2/MA3, maybe it isn't enough to go on. ;)

Got a question for y'all who know something I don't. Calling everyone!

Seriously though, I am wondering how one can figure out what a 1000 rated round would be on a particular course?

Seriously though, I am wondering how one can figure out what a 1000 rated round would be on a particular course?

Without a round of play by a group of players with propagating ratings, anything would only be a guess or a rough estimate. Courses don't have fixed ratings.

You can't, it varies from week to week, day by day, weather by weather, and depends on who is playing the course the same time that you are...

You CAN guesstimate a SSA, or what a 1,000 rated round "could" be at any given time.

Ratings are dependent on the weather, who is playing, and how the course is set up.

Without a round of play by a group of players with propagating ratings, anything would only be a guess or a rough estimate. Courses don't have fixed ratings.

You can't, it varies from week to week, day by day, weather by weather, and depends on who is playing the course the same time that you are...

You CAN guesstimate a SSA, or what a 1,000 rated round "could" be at any given time.

Ratings are dependent on the weather, who is playing, and how the course is set up.

Cool thanks. I kinda thought that it was always changing like that.

I just renewed my PDGA membership as an early Christmas present to myself. So, not surprisingly, my rating is still what it was at the end of 2011... 935.

Might actually play a tourney or two next year. :)

Final 9s do not get ratings (has to be at least 13 holes to get a round rating). If you are looking at ratings online for the Piney Woods event right now, they are unofficial. That event will get official ratings in the Dec 16th update but all three round ratings will likely change from the unofficial values because those same course layouts were played by other divisions in other rounds.

If you don't have an official rating yet, then that means the numbers you're looking at for that one tournament aren't official either. So no matter how you slice the math on those numbers, you're only going to get a close approximation of what your rating will be. Which might be enough to go on if it's a matter of figuring out what division to play in your next event...or, considering how close your estimate is to the dividing line between MA2/MA3, maybe it isn't enough to go on. ;)

Thank you o wise men for the knowledge ye have bestowed on this soul.

A 41 is going to be over 1000 on all 18-hole courses that can get official ratings. ;)

I can remember one where a 41 wouldn't have been 1000 rated. This course from short tees has more par 2's than 3's (that's what it plays like). I think a -14 (or 40) is 1,000 rated. The second round was from long tees, which is quite a bit more normal, but still a birdiefest.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-12-09 at 4.03.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-12-09 at 4.03.42 PM.png
    32 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts