• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA World Championships 2022

Thats really impressive...if they clean up half of those strokes, we have a 3way playoff for first coming down the stretch.

Its pretty embarrassing the amount of close putts missed by the top FPO

I mentioned earlier that it seems to me that putting has been pretty ugly in both MPO and FPO.

Just about every hole on both courses is scorable. I think that increases the pressure on every putt and thus we see a lot more errors.

Congrats to Europe's 1st PDGA World Champion!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Edit: He's wrong, she's the 2nd. I'm a jerk so I'll edit this post. To be clear, he was WRONG!

picture.php

We return you to BGN's regularly scheduled post:

In Henna's defense:
If not for Kristin dusting the field, we're probably calling her World Champ.

Well played 3P... well played.

*tips cap*

I'll have my crow fricasseed, thank you.

I'm no putting guru, but I think Henna's putting stroke is the big culprit in why she is missing putts. What I mean by that is I think her form is more subject to break down, and especially on short putts.

Her base is too narrow and she starts from a static position at the bottom of the swing that's fairly loose, with both her arm bent and her wrist curled. Then she false starts her putt and fully resets (pretty much every time), regripping her putter.

She has literally no backswing in her motion. It's all a jerk from the bottom. That means that she has to generate tendon load with her upstroke. I don't think that's a good recipe for consistency.

Plus, when she has a short putt, she isn't going to generate much force with that forward motion, meaning tendon load is absent. That means short putts feel completely different than longer ones.

I could be wrong, but that's what I see. Other players that I can think of that start static, with no backswing, are Orum and sometimes Hokum on longer putts. But they both clearly create tension before they start their stroke. The other is Kona, and she also struggles with putting consistency.

Thats really impressive...if they clean up half of those strokes, we have a 3way playoff for first coming down the stretch.

Its pretty embarrassing the amount of close putts missed by the top FPO

I don't think so. Even with putting perfection, Henna doesn't get to -13 (1035) and Evaliina not to -14 (1043) which is what they needed to catch Kristin who shot -10 (1011)
I understand whatyour thi king, but it only adds drama, but doesn't change the winner.

Kristin averaged 1003. They weren't gonna beat her or tie her.

I think the missed putts are somewhat distracting; Tattar scorched the field. Blomroos would have had to go -15 today to tie. Obviously she lost some strokes today to missed gimme putts, but...that's not the story, folks. Tattar came in with a lead and threw the hot round; that's how you get it done. :thmbup:

Actually if you go back to round three (her down round) when she was tied, she had back-to-back hot rounds. That's really getting it done.

It might be nothing or just a difference in who I was talking to, but the whole Birgitta Lagerholm/Markus Källström thing seemed to be invoking somewhat of a "the sky is falling" Nationalistic response in the people I was talking to in the '00's. It was like "foreigners bad" or something; we had a bad case of 9/11 hangover or something. Kristin Tattar seems to be very popular with just about everybody that I talk to today. That's a nice change.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Even with putting perfection, Henna doesn't get to -13 (1035) and Evaliina not to -14 (1043) which is what they needed to catch Kristin who shot -10 (1011)
I understand whatyour thi king, but it only adds drama, but doesn't change the winner.

Kristin averaged 1003. They weren't gonna beat her or tie her.

Check that. Three Putt is right. Henna needed-15 (1053) and Evaliina -16 (1061)

Speaking of Markus, what happened to him? I still remember that brutal spit with a few holes left at highbridge. He was fun to watch.

Not much question about where KT won this event.

attachment.php

No one's really close to Henna's "Tee to Green" stat. So she gives herself opportunities, but doesn't convert them consistently. Evaliina, Henna, and Kristin all avoided the OB better their American competition.

No surprise to see Ohn, Valerie, Missy, and Kristin atop the putting stats.

I like the depth of the FPO field, but as Jolt said, no one's putting it all together like Tattar. Throw in her consistency over the course of the event, and you get a dominant victory.

Over all 5 rounds Blomroos was
79.46% C1 putting 89/112 - 70th (Tattar was 27th with 89%)
57.41% C1x putting 31/54 - 68th (Tattar was 27th with 79%)
5.26% C2 putting 1/19 - 54th (Tattar was 5th with 30%)

23.33% Parked 21/90 - 1st (Tattar was 9th with 11%)
64.44% GIR1 58/90 - 1st (Tattar was 2nd with 52%)
81.11% GIR2 73/90 - 1st (Tattar was 3rd with 76%)

Taking average FPO C1x of 75% and C2 of 10-15%
Start with 21 Parked at 95-100% - 20-21 made birdie putts
GIR1 - Parked = 37 C1x putts for birdie. 17 less than her actual attempts from C1x. Make 75% of those for 27-28 birdies.
GIR2 - GIR1 = 15 C2 putts for birdie. 4 less than her actual attempts from C2. Make 10-15% for 1-2 birdies.

48-51 birdies beats Tattar's final birdie total (47) by 1-4. Matching Tattar's C1x/C2 putting rates would bring that calculated birdie total to ~53.

Over all 5 rounds Blomroos was
79.46% C1 putting 89/112 - 70th (Tattar was 27th with 89%)
57.41% C1x putting 31/54 - 68th (Tattar was 27th with 79%)
5.26% C2 putting 1/19 - 54th (Tattar was 5th with 30%)

23.33% Parked 21/90 - 1st (Tattar was 9th with 11%)
64.44% GIR1 58/90 - 1st (Tattar was 2nd with 52%)
81.11% GIR2 73/90 - 1st (Tattar was 3rd with 76%)

Taking average FPO C1x of 75% and C2 of 10-15%
Start with 21 Parked at 95-100% - 20-21 made birdie putts
GIR1 - Parked = 37 C1x putts for birdie. 17 less than her actual attempts from C1x. Make 75% of those for 27-28 birdies.
GIR2 - GIR1 = 15 C2 putts for birdie. 4 less than her actual attempts from C2. Make 10-15% for 1-2 birdies.

48-51 birdies beats Tattar's final birdie total (47) by 1-4. Matching Tattar's C1x/C2 putting rates would bring that calculated birdie total to ~53.

TL/DR;

What the heck are you trying to say?

Kristen and Henna were both 8 OB strokes. That is a wash. Putting is simply C1X plus C2, so yes, putting was clearly the difference.

Well maybe we should ask txmixer what he was talking about. I had the impression he was comparing Kristin with the other top 5 competitors— Henna, Evaliina, Holyn, Missy, and Ohn