• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA's New Disciplinary Process

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
https://www.pdga.com/announcements/new-disciplinary-process-takes-effect-january-1-2020

Takes effect Jan 1 2020.

The single biggest change is the introduction of a public classification system for different offenses and the definition of standard penalty ranges for those offenses. While someone subject to discipline will not have their specific conduct made public, the general class of their offense will be. The classes, broadly defined, are:

Class A: Physical assault or imminent threat of physical harm.
Class B: Willful or purposeful cheating or circumvention of the rules.
Class C: Harassment, pattern of inaccurate score reporting.
Class D: Drug and alcohol violations.
Class E: Administrative violations (most commonly, failure to pay required fees).

------------------

Finally, the document sets out the process by which actions are evaluated. Here is the short version (see the document for more detail):

1. The member (or members) submits the action to the Disciplinary Committee using the online form at PDGA.com.

2. The Committee determines whether the matter already has been addressed adequately by the rules. If it has, they will decline to evaluate further. The filing member(s) may appeal such a determination.

3. If the Committee determines that the matter should go forward, they will notify the respondent member and begin investigation, which consists primarily of taking statements from witnesses and the respondent member. The respondent member may decline to answer without any assumption of guilt.

4. The Committee will come to a determination by a vote of at least 50% of the Committee members and forward their recommendation to the Board Liaison, who will either approve the recommendation or request reconsideration on certain grounds.

5. The Board Liaison will notify the respondent member of the final decision. The respondent member may then appeal to the PDGA Board of Directors for reconsideration within thirty (30) days.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I imagine the only people who even think about these things are those who need to be disciplined, or those who have to administer the discipline.

Luckily, I don't fall into either category. So I can read that stuff and just say, "Interesting."

(See, this is my way of also saying, "I have read the post you carefully constructed, and found something of value in the very act of it, even if the information contained within will likely never directly affect me. Thank you for taking the time, sir.")

Interesting.

I imagine the only people who even think about these things are those who need to be disciplined, or those who have to administer the discipline.

Luckily, I don't fall into either category. So I can read that stuff and just say, "Interesting."

(See, this is my way of also saying, "I have read the post you carefully constructed, and found something of value in the very act of it, even if the information contained within will likely never directly affect me. Thank you for taking the time, sir.")

Isn't the point of the updates that it's the entire community's responsibility to administer discipline?

I was being flippant, admittedly. My mood was weird yesterday.

If you'll allow me to be pedantic, though, the answer is, Not really. In the grand scheme, we are our own policemen and -women, certainly. But we don't administer, we report to administrators. It's a subtle difference, but a real one. And now that I've said that, I feel compelled to flesh out the thought more fully.

I play a lot more casual rounds than tournament ones. But in either scenario, I never look for foot faults, for instance. Even if every other player habitually steps over their mark, is it really "willful or purposeful cheating"? I don't know, and I don't care much, because that inch or so doesn't give any real advantage...I do comment about limb breakage, litter, and foul language, but only to be heard once, and I try to be as mellow as possible. More like friendly suggestions or reminders.

I also am not offended if someone wants to drink or smoke while they play. Sanctioned or no, it just doesn't bother me, nor does it give the person any competitive advantage.

Which brings us to the more egregious infractions: the "physical assault" stuff, and the pencil-whipping stuff.

I've never, ever seen anything on a course - in a tournament or casual round - that comes anywhere near a physical scrap. That seems like a joke to me. Now, I'm sure it does happen. Hence the rules.
But those people are rare in our game. Exceedingly. Again, though, if it happens, then we report it. It's up to others to mete out the discipline. (Never mind what I myself might do in defense of my person or others. Try me. That has nothing to do with disc golf or friendly competition.)

Cheaters never prosper. Go ahead, lie about your score. If you can sleep at night, go with my blessings. But YOU know what you did, and so does any Deity you'd care not to offend. You must have needed that prize pack (or cash) more than I did. It can be hard for me to remember my own 18-holes; if you cheat on the card, I'm not likely to even notice.

So, you see, I'm basically a live-and-let-live kind of dude, and have a Middle- to Far-Eastern mindset abut these things. Let everyone be, and water will find its own level. Cheaters and a$$holes suck, but I have more important things to think about. The chances of me, personally, filing any kind of legal motion against a disc golfer? Slim and slimmer. If we can't hash it out on the ground, it's forgotten by the time I leave the parking lot. (Realizing fully that not everyone feels this way. Those of you who regularly play for money have every reason to care bunches and bunches.)

Sometimes, my brain churns up some stuff, and I do my best to convey it with style and precision. This is probably not a successful example of that. :eek:

Happy lawyering, everyone!

I was being flippant, admittedly. My mood was weird yesterday.

If you'll allow me to be pedantic, though, the answer is, Not really. In the grand scheme, we are our own policemen and -women, certainly. But we don't administer, we report to administrators. It's a subtle difference, but a real one. And now that I've said that, I feel compelled to flesh out the thought more fully.

I play a lot more casual rounds than tournament ones. But in either scenario, I never look for foot faults, for instance. Even if every other player habitually steps over their mark, is it really "willful or purposeful cheating"? I don't know, and I don't care much, because that inch or so doesn't give any real advantage...I do comment about limb breakage, litter, and foul language, but only to be heard once, and I try to be as mellow as possible. More like friendly suggestions or reminders.

I also am not offended if someone wants to drink or smoke while they play. Sanctioned or no, it just doesn't bother me, nor does it give the person any competitive advantage.

Which brings us to the more egregious infractions: the "physical assault" stuff, and the pencil-whipping stuff.

I've never, ever seen anything on a course - in a tournament or casual round - that comes anywhere near a physical scrap. That seems like a joke to me. Now, I'm sure it does happen. Hence the rules.
But those people are rare in our game. Exceedingly. Again, though, if it happens, then we report it. It's up to others to mete out the discipline. (Never mind what I myself might do in defense of my person or others. Try me. That has nothing to do with disc golf or friendly competition.)

Cheaters never prosper. Go ahead, lie about your score. If you can sleep at night, go with my blessings. But YOU know what you did, and so does any Deity you'd care not to offend. You must have needed that prize pack (or cash) more than I did. It can be hard for me to remember my own 18-holes; if you cheat on the card, I'm not likely to even notice.

So, you see, I'm basically a live-and-let-live kind of dude, and have a Middle- to Far-Eastern mindset abut these things. Let everyone be, and water will find its own level. Cheaters and a$$holes suck, but I have more important things to think about. The chances of me, personally, filing any kind of legal motion against a disc golfer? Slim and slimmer. If we can't hash it out on the ground, it's forgotten by the time I leave the parking lot. (Realizing fully that not everyone feels this way. Those of you who regularly play for money have every reason to care bunches and bunches.)

Sometimes, my brain churns up some stuff, and I do my best to convey it with style and precision. This is probably not a successful example of that. :eek:

Happy lawyering, everyone!

Do what you want in casual rounds.

The foot fault thing during tournaments does matter, not because another inch will make a difference in the shot but because the people who do follow the rules will know they have to concentrate extra to make sure they don't foot fault.
The ones who cheat and don't care about their foot placement is taking advantage of the rule and that makes the throw much easier.

Agreed, sir. I don't say it doesn't matter, only that I don't look for it. I would be horrified to learn that I foot-faulted myself. I do think about it when I'm throwing, and welcome any calls on it if I screw up.

I just like taking the occasional contrarian position in here. It hones my thoughts and gives me solid typing practice. :thmbup:

I've noticed that I only foot fault when I'm in the lead by a small margin, or I am in second place and threatening to overtake first coming down the last couple of holes.

At least, that's the only time it's ever called on me. Weird, huh?

Remind me who is on this board?

I feel like there is an interesting dichotomy going on if my memory serves me correctly.

I enjoy reading the disciplinary action list for any names I may know. This will make it more interesting categorizing their infraction.

Remind me who is on this board?

I feel like there is an interesting dichotomy going on if my memory serves me correctly.

This seems like a rhetorical question. Do you have something you would like to discuss? I'm not sure vague innuendo is really purposeful or helpful.

All volunteer members of committees can be found here.

It is interesting that the Discipline Committee is the only one that is not fully listed out with members. Maybe it is a committee of two? I can't see a lot of people volunteering for this committee.

It is interesting that the Discipline Committee is the only one that is not fully listed out with members. Maybe it is a committee of two? I can't see a lot of people volunteering for this committee.

The PDGA keeps the members of our committee private. The only name published is mine, as chair. We have 8 members.

We recently had a vacancy and I had about 50 applications to join. There is absolutely interest in being on this committee.

Considering the nature of what the disciplinary committee does, it's probably prudent that the members aren't publicly known. Seems like they, of all the committees, are apt to come under the most scrutiny from people with a personal grudge (as opposed to a philosophical disagreement). Don't really want people making disciplinary decisions based on concerns over personal backlash as opposed to on the merits of the case.

Agreed, sir. I don't say it doesn't matter, only that I don't look for it. I would be horrified to learn that I foot-faulted myself. I do think about it when I'm throwing, and welcome any calls on it if I screw up.

I just like taking the occasional contrarian position in here. It hones my thoughts and gives me solid typing practice. :thmbup:

because that inch or so doesn't give any real advantage

So you DID say it doesn't matter...

Note the condition 'real' in real advantage. Suggesting that he's aware there might be an advantage but that it is small enough to not bother him.

Thank you for that, Jugular.

I should try to remember that in the current climate, both in here and in the world generally, we aren't allowed the luxury of vague defenses of our stupid opinions.

Freely stipulated: I don't always achieve the level of precision with language that I'm going for. I blame television. And Hilary, of course, because everything is her fault. :\

Latest posts