• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pease Park to eventually close

Bevo

Bogey Member
So in case you haven't heard, Pease Park in downtown Austin will be closing in the future (yes, they've been saying this for over 20 years, but they actually mean it now). Here is an article Pease Park Disc Golf Course Moving. Just a reminder that no course is invinsible, so please remind yourself, your friends, and all fellow discgolfers to play with the upmost respect to the game and its players and also to the parks and/or the owners. (And, no, they're not closing it because of negative discgolfers, but because of the creek restoration and some of the wear-and-tear of disc golf).

That's incredibly unfortunate. I'm a PA resident and I've even heard of Pease Park in passing -- a testament to its quality and reputation around DGCR and the disc golf commuity.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!, I started playing and grew up on this course. Sad day. Hopefully they make the improvements and reinstate it. I do understand this happens when there is as much traffic in the park that Pease has, just hope it stays vibrant in the future.

I say you stage a protest by chaining yourselves to the baskets. I would do that if they tried to pull the baskets at Hornets Nest.

What a bummer! Now I wish I would have played Pease while I was visiting back in April. I'm hoping that I'll get to visit Austin again in October. Hopefully Pease will still be in the ground then. I can't even imagine how many rounds I played out there back in the day. Pease is certainly an iconic course in Austin. It will be missed. :(

At the every end of that story it says, "It is why they are building another one east of the city at the Colorado River Park. The course, expected to be ready by the time Pease Park's is removed, will be a state of the art 18-hole disc golf course. More importantly it will be more open and let the damaged trees at Pease Park heal with the creek."

Hmmmm, more open. Okay. So I wonder how much more open? Looking at Google aerial photos it looks like the park is heavily wooded.

That sucks. It's cool that they're building a "replacement course" for it, but it sucks that it's out in the boondocks. One of the coolest things about Pease is its central location. I wonder if they are going to re-install it once they're done with the creek restoration.

BS. These "replacement" courses have been in the city planning budget for years now. I'm sure they'll be great but having a quality course in the middle of downtown was one of the best things about Pease.

What they should be doing is clearing out the vagrant population that lives and defecates under the bridge there, instead of being a bunch of DBs and shutting the park down.

I mean doesn't water cause erosion...or wind? This is a clear case of misguided anger.

This aggression will not stand, man.

Guess I better hit coto next year if it's still there

The more I think about it the more irritated I become. It's a public park paid for and used by the taxpayers of Austin. The park is serving it's purpose exactly how it was meant to-- by providing outdoor activities for Austinites, the largest draw being the disc golf course. And now they're closing down the course because it is "too popular" and is doing what it is meant to do "too well." It's not like it's some wildlife refuge. It's smack dab in the middle of Austin surrounded by asphalt and concrete and businesses and subdivisions. Oh no, grass isn't growing under the baskets and there are foot trails because of all the PEOPLE ENJOYING THE PARK. Time to shut it down. Only in Austin does the grass take precedence over the people in a public park.

Last edited:
We're sorry, but too many children are using the playground at the centrally located park. We're going to have to pull it and move it 15 miles away to where there are less children so that less children will be able to enjoy it. Thank you for your tax dollars that will allow us to do this.

I don't know if any of you are from the Austin area, but there is a public meeting on June 17th, at the Senior Center at 6:30, the discuss the future of Pease Park. A bunch of golfers are planning on showing up to support the course, and make sure that it isn't taken down in December. I had a long conversation with Mr. Moody yesterday while I was playing at Pease, (Don't know if you are familiar with him or not, he owns Moody's DG course in Red Rock,TX) and he seems to think that we have a very good chance at keeping the park if we all show up to defend it. Apparently there is a large group of wealthy lawyers who play Pease allot, and they said they would show up and defend it. And I believe he said there are a few Texas Congressmen who frequent Pease, and are willing to support the park as well.
Overall, if we all go up against this together, we could keep the Pease Park disc golf course, a real jewel, remaining for many more years.

I don't know if any of you are from the Austin area, but there is a public meeting on June 17th, at the Senior Center at 6:30, the discuss the future of Pease Park. A bunch of golfers are planning on showing up to support the course, and make sure that it isn't taken down in December. I had a long conversation with Mr. Moody yesterday while I was playing at Pease, (Don't know if you are familiar with him or not, he owns Moody's DG course in Red Rock,TX) and he seems to think that we have a very good chance at keeping the park if we all show up to defend it. Apparently there is a large group of wealthy lawyers who play Pease allot, and they said they would show up and defend it. And I believe he said there are a few Texas Congressmen who frequent Pease, and are willing to support the park as well.
Overall, if we all go up against this together, we could keep the Pease Park disc golf course, a real jewel, remaining for many more years.

Pease us one of the best courses and one of first places I ever played. Think this support is a testament to how Austin has a tremendous disc golf community. What's next no mote birthday party for eyore? I hope I can get back there to play it one more time

Here's the reply I received. It sounds like they're planning on the relocation to be permanent. While I haven't been there in awhile it seems there may be merit to the notion that the area needs a rest to recover but it will be a crying shame if they don't put the course back at least close to the current location. Hope you Austin locals show up in force.

Dear Mr. Mahan,

Thank you for contacting our department about Pease District Park. The Austin Parks and Recreation Department is currently assessing the deteriorating conditions of this historic park and the potential for its recovery as a lasting public asset for future generations. Pease District Park experiences heavy use from a large variety of park patrons. Unfortunately, all these activities have taken a serious toll on the landscape and jeopardize its ultimate survival. The alarming conditions were confirmed by an ecological site assessment by the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in 2006. This site visit confirmed that the park is suffering from soil compaction and trampling of vegetation; invasion by non-native plant species; and reduction of the capacity of the soil to absorb flood waters. Our department is also concerned that there are few young trees growing in the remnant woodlands to take the place of the older and, in many cases, dying trees.

As stewards of our public lands, the Parks Department is responsible to both today's park users and the future generations that rely on us to manage and preserve our precious green spaces for our children and grandchildren. As Austin grows, balancing these two important needs with limited resources becomes more and more of a challenge. Unfortunately, hindsight has shown us that the rocky slopes and narrow configuration of Pease Park is not an ideal location from a management standpoint for a heavily used disk golf course. The park must rest if it is to survive. We want to assure you that we are making it one of our top departmental priorities to replace the disc golf course at Pease with a well-designed and more sustainable course in a different central location, at the earliest possible date. We are proud to say that PARD has been collaborating for the past three years with neighbors and park advocates in a restoration program at Pease that has resulted in the planting of over 300 trees, along with other park projects aimed at bringing the park back to life. Likewise, we look forward to further collaboration with disk golf clubs to provide and maintain a new course we can all be proud of and enjoy.

A Pease Park capital improvement initiative will be taking place in 2011 to improve the water quality in Shoal Creek, repair significant stream bank erosion, and restore healthy soil and vegetation on the creek. The project area encompasses the creek and its floodplain in the parkland adjacent to Shoal Creek from a point just south of Gaston Avenue to 15th Street. The department has been in dialogue with all Pease Park stakeholders through a series of community meetings held over the last 12 months. The public process efforts have focused on listening to concerns and ideas, and informing stakeholders about the upcoming work in Shoal Creek and how it affects parks users and our plans to locate a new disc golf course.

The Department will hold a another public meeting on Thursday, June 17th at the Lamar Senior Activity Center located at 2874 Shoal Crest (off Lamar/29th Street). We invite you to join our staff for a discussion about Pease Park and disc golf.

Thank you once again for contacting us and for sharing your concerns.

Sincerely,

Sara L. Hensley, CPRP

Director, Parks and Recreation Department

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 9:48 AM
To: Hensley, Sara
Subject: Pease Park Disc Golf Course

Hi Ms. Hensley,

I am a resident of northern Virginia that has the opportunity to travel to Austin for business several times a year. While in Austin I'm certain to make a trip to Pease Park to play your excellent disc golf course. I've read of the plans to close the course during renovations to the Shoal Creek area. I fully recognize the need for this and the impact that the foot traffic on the course has on the area. The volume of this traffic is due to the high quality of this enjoyable and unique disc golf course. I've traveled much of the country and played courses on both coasts and much of the area in between, Pease Park is well up in my top ten favorite courses to play.

I know you've made plans to relocate the course to another area during the renovations, I hope you will consider making this a temporary relocation and restore the course to as close to its original location (with appropriate environmental impact modifications). It truly is the model for urban disc golf courses.

Thanks for your time,

Terry Mahan

Above is well said if y iPhone wasn't so stupid I'd quote it an give it props. Boooo iPhone!!! Quit captializing phone in iPhone get over yourself stupid phone

So it's staying open? It should make it a historical site or try to find a family park closer. Zilker is huge right done the road. Are they closing lions muni for campus housing.

I think the closing just got delayed until the "replacement course" is finished, which should be some time in 2011. At least that's what I heard on the news.

Glad it's on my schedule to play when I head to Austin this fall.

I have a few friends who love the course. :thmbup:

Latest posts