• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Personal top 100

I'm not sure the Highbridge courses are over-rated although they get extra credit for all being in one place. But even setting Highbridge aside, players from this area travel about and come back glad to play in Minnesota despite the less than favorable weather for some. But that also includes credit for the overall disc golf tournament, league and informal scene here in Min-Wisc-owa

MN and WI courses are good. They have some of the deepest roots and MN, WI and IA are all near the top for total courses.

MN and WI courses are good. They have some of the deepest roots and MN, WI and IA are all near the top for total courses.
I'm sorry, but I just have a hard time believing that 47% of the top 30 courses in the US are in MN/WI/IA.

This conversation makes me laugh. It's like we're all back in 1st grade arguing about who's daddy can beat up who's daddy. There are good courses all over the country. Sure, some places have unique or different landscapes, but a good course designer can make a great course in Linville, NC, Humboldt, CA, Mineral, VA or even Hoboken F'ing New Jersey if given the chance. And it's probably just human nature to think you are special or your region has some inherent greatness to it.

Plus there is so much subjectivity and opinion when grading a course. Some people like woods, some like big open spaces. And some like big rocks or long water carries.

Oh yeah, my daddy could never beat up anyone. I always lost that argument. :(

This conversation makes me laugh. It's like we're all back in 1st grade arguing about who's daddy can beat up who's daddy. There are good courses all over the country. Sure, some places have unique or different landscapes, but a good course designer can make a great course in Linville, NC, Humboldt, CA, Mineral, VA or even Hoboken F'ing New Jersey if given the chance. And it's probably just human nature to think you are special or your region has some inherent greatness to it.

Plus there is so much subjectivity and opinion when grading a course. Some people like woods, some like big open spaces. And some like big rocks or long water carries.

Oh yeah, my daddy could never beat up anyone. I always lost that argument. :(
You know I was gonna let his list pass without mentioning bias, but there are only like 3 people who have played enough courses to make a meaningful top 100, so i could not resist.

I hear you. I have trouble enough coming up with a personal Top 10. I'd ruin all three of my brain cells if I tried to come up with any more. And if I had played 1000 courses I doubt I could remember enough detail to give an accurate top 100 list.

Please remind me when I get to 1,000 courses and enlighten the public with my top 100, that it jives with my DGCR favorite list...this one doesn't.

My list starts to break down after the #5 spot. I can list my Top 5 easily, but there are a dozen or so clamoring at my brain cells to fill out the Top 10, and more crowding in behind them.

Anyway, I think these are the poster's favorites, based on his own criteria. I don't think he submitted them as what he thinks should be the Top 10 for the disc golf world.

Interesting piece of criticism, thank you.

First off, matching my list with my DGCR favorites, I've been adding them as I've been reviewing them, seemed logical but, slow going.

Now, local Bias. I'm a MN kid, only one MN course in my top 20, and only 5 overall. I'm bred to despise F'in Cheeseheads. Yet Wisconsin tops my list of favorite DG states: in order WI, IA, NC, MN, OR. Yeah 3 states in the midwest, so if anything it's a favorite states bias, but that only results from the quality of courses I've experienced in these places. So I don't feel it's a local bias just the fact of my carefully considered opinion (ok, location does have some to do with it, I'll get into that).

WI might hold that title if all it had was Highbridge - Let me tell you, Highbridge is DG heaven. Nearly any course at the complex (Bear, Granite, Gold, and Blueberry) are close contenders for the top of my list, dang near the only reason they're not all 4 in my top 10 is because I wanted to space them out a bit, I thought about just keeping the complexes as one slot on the list, Highbridge then would have come in at number 1 over BOP. WI is so much more than Highbridge though, my travels across the state have always blown me away. Mont du lac and Justin trails, both beautiful pieces of property in their own right that will blow you away and compete with the mountain courses out west. In conclusion, WI has so much more to offer than any other state in terms of DG.

Iowa of all places with its "flat cornfields" or whatever you imagine, is incredible. With major destination areas like Des Moines and the Quad Cities, and hidden gems all over the state.

Now, living in the midwest gives me much more opportunity to explore this area in greater detail, I've played a higher percentage of courses in these states - 24% of my courses played in MN/IA/WI, of my favorites list 24% are in those 3 states. I didn't plan it that way, just calculated it right now.

As far as the order is concerned, it was formed by "gut reaction" moving courses here and there, comparing them to each other and flip flopping, switching courses in and out, until I felt it was good. So many are so close, really a course at number 83 is comparable to a course at 35. The standouts are at the top, everything else is great disc golf all around the country, and I'll admit the southeast quarter of the country is the foggiest in my memory, so many of the courses may have drifted south from poor memory.

Thank you for the feedback and getting me thinking :D

Last edited:
WI:thmbup: I obviously haven't come even close to you Martin in terms of courses but WI really has set a level at which I compare other places that I travel. And as of now WI is kinda my top too.:hfive:

Interesting piece of criticism, thank you.

First off, matching my list with my DGCR favorites, I've been adding them as I've been reviewing them, seemed logical but, slow going.

Now, local Bias. I'm a MN kid, only one MN course in my top 20, and only 5 overall. I'm bred to despise F'in Cheeseheads. Yet Wisconsin tops my list of favorite DG states: in order WI, IA, NC, MN, OR. Yeah 3 states in the midwest, so if anything it's a favorite states bias, but that only results from the quality of courses I've experienced in these places. So I don't feel it's a local bias just the fact of my carefully considered opinion (ok, location does have some to do with it, I'll get into that).

WI might hold that title if all it had was Highbridge - Let me tell you, Highbridge is DG heaven. Nearly any course at the complex (Bear, Granite, Gold, and Blueberry) are close contenders for the top of my list, dang near the only reason they're not all 4 in my top 10 is because I wanted to space them out a bit, I thought about just keeping the complexes as one slot on the list, Highbridge then would have come in at number 1 over BOP. WI is so much more than Highbridge though, my travels across the state have always blown me away. Mont du lac and Justin trails, both beautiful pieces of property in their own right that will blow you away and compete with the mountain courses out west. In conclusion, WI has so much more to offer than any other state in terms of DG.

Iowa of all places with its "flat cornfields" or whatever you imagine, is incredible. With major destination areas like Des Moines and the Quad Cities, and hidden gems all over the state.

Now, living in the midwest gives me much more opportunity to explore this area in greater detail, I've played a higher percentage of courses in these states - 24% of my courses played in MN/IA/WI, of my favorites list 24% are in those 3 states. I didn't plan it that way, just calculated it right now.

As far as the order is concerned, it was formed by "gut reaction" moving courses here and there, comparing them to each other and flip flopping, switching courses in and out, until I felt it was good. So many are so close, really a course at number 83 is comparable to a course at 35. The standouts are at the top, everything else is great disc golf all around the country, and I'll admit the southeast quarter of the country is the foggiest in my memory, so many of the courses may have drifted south from poor memory.

Thank you for the feedback and getting me thinking :D

Thanks for the great response and for being a good sport about it. As Mae West used to say, "It's better to be looked over, than over looked".
I woke up this morning thinking you probably have played more courses in the MW than elsewhere, so it stands to reason that would be where you have the most favorites...Duh. Thank you for touching on that.
I actually researched Wisconsin for a potential biking/disc golf trip recently and was blown away by all the upper echelon courses. For some reason, Highbridge was not going to be in the mix, but it definitely is now !

top 8 after that i get a headache thinkin about it
the lodge, island (aka disc titty land)
water works
the lodge, moccasin creek
mcnaughton
beaver ranch
rogers lakewood, valpo
circle c
blackhawk, tulsa

You know I was gonna let his list pass without mentioning bias, but there are only like 3 people who have played enough courses to make a meaningful top 100, so i could not resist.

And one of them did. Which is what this thread is. Which you are questioning the validity of. :doh:

The thing that jumps out at me is that you can play 1,000 courses all over the US and still prefer your home courses. 40% of MD'S top 20 in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I count one of his top 20 courses being in MN. Wisconsin DOES have some of the most premier courses. And as others noted, this is MD's list!

Parma was my home course when I started. Glad to see it made the list.

Ashe County - Holler in the Hills - and Centralia (Foundation) woud be the three that you have much farther down your list; than mine would show....:)

Thanks for your list. Glad to see the Lodge courses in there - the best Oklahoma has to offer!

Latest posts