• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phone Numbers on Back

Astonishing. I've never had a desire to keep something that belonged to someone else.

No name or number in it, fine. Find it in the trashcan or at the city dump, safely assume the owner no longer wanted it.

I've spent an hour swimming in water looking for my disc, only to find it next time I went swimming. Hardly abandoned. I've thrown discs in water or briars and intended to come back after the round, or the next day. Hardly abandoned. I've found discs and called the owner---who was still on the course, clearly not abandoned! I've had discs returned to me that were found at a course I didn't lose them; someone had found them, played with them, lost them somewhere else. How can you know how it came to be there, without calling the owner?

As I was typing this, someone walked in my office and handed me a disc I lost on a course 100 miles away, almost 2 years ago. Karma! I've got another disc on a course right now, 100 miles away, that they found and called me about; I've made arrangements for a friend to pick up and bring to me next time I see him.

You don't have to go to great effort. Just call the owner, tell him you've got it and where you are. He can make the effort to get it if he wants. He can offer a reward, if he wants. He can tell you to keep it, which frequently happens. You've done the honorable thing.

I'll misquote Mark Twain here, but it's close enough:

Always do right. This will please some people, and astonish the rest.

yeah i agree with most the post on here if you find discs with contact info on it then try to contact them about it and arrange a meeting if there near you or if there too far away have them spend a few dollars and ship it back to them. most of the time they will tell you to just keep it. but i think why no one really goes in the water to go after there disc could be that it's to prevent injury or they don't want to finish a round wet and have a nice wet car ride home. also karma is another thing if you do return it you will feel better about yourself afterwards and maybe your good deed will payoff eventually. also say you threw a collectors disc such as a ce teebird or a ce Valkyrie and you lost it and no one made an effort to contact you when they found it how would you feel after you had spent all that money for a disc?

if the disc is clean it dosnt meet the definition of being abandoned, call those numbers , one call if they dont have a voicemail/answering machine ,screw em.

If you know the person(or of them) get it back to them. Some people really love their putters and spend years sometimes breaking them in just right so give all putters a call , if they really love it theyll offer you something without asking. And no calls for DX drivers

If your diving in a public park and dont make any attempts to return discs your not gonna be well liked.
Now if your at a private course and have permission from the owner , and he/she is cool with you keeping numbered discs then call if you want but money or a trade should be givin.

And sometimes returning a disc and refusing or not asking for money will pay-off in the long run, youll find people will just give you discs they dont need/use or find and if they find yours youll get it back for sure. Btw i dont write my info on my disc because im not selfish like that , if someone finds mine i hope thye enjoy using it and it bring them many good shots.

I dont put my name on any of my discs. I feel its fair to say that if I give up looking for a disc, or decide to leave it, then I have given it up as my property.

Sometimes I even lose discs in the water and decide to come back after the round. The risk is that someone might come up behind me and find it, but thats the risk.

Sure if I wrote my name on a disc some people might call me. but I would just tell them to keep it anyway, I gave up and they put in the effort (or got lucky) and found it.

That being said I do try to call numbers on marked discs.

I agree w/ the general consensus of returning discs found. I recently got a call from a guy who found one of mine in a pond, one that I don't remember losing, but I thanked him and told him to keep it.
All of my discs are marked w/ my name and #. Out of the several I've lost over time, I've only been contacted twice. I have found many, and made every attempt to contact the owner. If no name/number was present, I posted on the local DG website.

I dont put my name on any of my discs. I feel its fair to say that if I give up looking for a disc, or decide to leave it, then I have given it up as my property.

Sometimes I even lose discs in the water and decide to come back after the round. The risk is that someone might come up behind me and find it, but thats the risk.

Sure if I wrote my name on a disc some people might call me. but I would just tell them to keep it anyway, I gave up and they put in the effort (or got lucky) and found it.

That being said I do try to call numbers on marked discs.
I think youve got the right attitude even though you havnt been playing long.

Youll find all this name and # buisness only causes a bunch of grief and strife ,and its not really worth the trouble it causes to get back a couple of discs that in the long run will get worn out anyway, or lost for good.

Couldn't disagree more. They had the choice to 'take time out of their day to go swimming' too...BUT they didn't. That to me forfeits their right to it. They walked away knowing it was there. It's not like a pet or something...it is a piece of sporting goods equipment. You lose stuff occasionally in sports...it happens...you have to expect that from time to time.

To anyone that writes your name and # on your disc , If you dont want your discs back then dont write your number on them? Dont waste my minutes($) and my time fu***** with your wishy washy a**. And for gods sakes dont write your # on every disc you have even the crappy ones., by doing that you make it less likely for good discs to be returned cause people get tired of messing with it.

Couldn't disagree more. They had the choice to 'take time out of their day to go swimming' too...BUT they didn't. That to me forfeits their right to it. They walked away knowing it was there. It's not like a pet or something...it is a piece of sporting goods equipment. You lose stuff occasionally in sports...it happens...you have to expect that from time to time.
If it has a Name and number on it though, by law it has to either been there for some amount of time to appear that its abandoned or you have to make an effort to return it ,for it to now legaly be yours.

I think if it has a number on it you should call and do everything you can to return the disc. Yes, it should be their responsibility to pay for shipping if that is necessary. Yes, they should tip you for your troubles. I am not going to force anyone to pay me for their disc. Most likely it would just become a water disc for me anyways. I would rather play a round with the person and call it even.

If you are taking the time to go in after discs like that, it is a choice that you are making. No name or number I would say is just fine to keep or sell.

I'll echo that - besides, you never know what a disc might mean to someone. I found one disc and called the number on it . Turns out it belonged to a 14 year old kid - was a birthday gift from his older brother who got shipped off to Afghanistan. Good thing the brother had him write their # on the disc. The kid and his mom were very happy to get it back. Just hope they get their brother/son back too!

If there's a number, I'd call a number about 3 times, with a bit of time in between in case they are out of town.

I agree with you as well. The thrower knows it is in there, if they want it, then go after it. I would assume that if I threw a disc in there, it is gone and whomever finds it it is theirs. I could of gotten in there if I wanted and do sometimes. If I were to receive a call from someone who found it in there, I would drive to your house and expect money to get it back, 5 dollars is reasonable.

I tire of hearing the excuse that "abandoned" discs can be kept even with phone numbers on them.

Failure to find one's property, and therefore discontinuing the search, does NOT constitute abandonment under the law (in any US state I've found, at any rate). Lost and abandoned are two wholly separate legal issues. A possession isn't abandoned just because you think or declare it to be so.

If you find my disc and aren't going to call me. Please, just leave it in the water. It's not yours.

Failure to find one's property, and therefore discontinuing the search, does NOT constitute abandonment under the law .
Actually its does if by the condition you find it in can prove that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost,_mislaid,_and_abandoned_property

look under abandoned property, if youve ever found a discs thats been in there for a couple weeks or months its easy to tell they either gave up or arent gonna find it and its then legaly abandoned.

I'm very conflicted about this.
On the one hand, if your disc goes in the water and (for whatever reason) you decline to go in for it, then do you have a right to expect a cal from the guy who goes in for it?
On the other hand, I've gotten several discs back from the water hole on our course (one of the discs I've gotten back three times) and was glad to get them.
I still call, but sometimes it feels a bit foolish to give away discs to someone who couldn't be bothered to take the time or effort to go wading for it. Like returning a toy that your child threw out the window.

On the one hand, if your disc goes in the water and (for whatever reason) you decline to go in for it, then do you have a right to expect a cal from the guy who goes in for it?

What if I'm planning to go in the water later today?
What if I'm planning to come back tomorrow, properly dressed?
How would you know whether I just left it, or spent an hour and couldn't find it?
How can you tell whether I threw my disc in the water, or someone else threw my disc in the water, perhaps after finding it elsewhere?

Keep doing the right thing and calling.

I understand the people who are saying give them a call, clear your conscience, but here is how I look at it. I put my number on the back of my disc for those shots that soar into the trees, and I am unable to get down, but may fall at a later time, etc. If a disc goes diving into the water, no matter how nice it is, I say a few choice words and expect never to see that disc again. Sometimes I have been known to search for 30 minutes for a sinking disc and come up with nothing but goose poop.
So my thoughts are these: If you find a disc laying around on the course somewhere, pick it up and give it a call. If you have to go wading through nasty water for hours to find discs, use a little acetone, erase the contact info on the back and enjoy your new discs guilt free!

Like returning a toy that your child threw out the window.
very good point , its like "look dummy learn how to throw this hole safely or dont use your fave discs if you cant do that." if you go for birdie and it cost you your disc that was your fault you took the risk ,and now you expect the "reward" too:rolleyes:. Its risk vs reward not & reward. If you show them tough love by not stopping for the toy but then go back later and get it for them, their not gonna remember the original lesson. The only lesson their gonna learn is that your a tool.

To anyone that writes your name and # on your disc , If you dont want your discs back then dont write your number on them? Dont waste my minutes($) and my time fu***** with your wishy washy a**. And for gods sakes dont write your # on every disc you have even the crappy ones., by doing that you make it less likely for good discs to be returned cause people get tired of messing with it.

Please accept my apologies. I have a rude habit of putting names in my discs as soon as I get them, not knowing if they'll be a "keeper" or not. Even worse, as they age and go bad, I'm negligent and forget to remove my name & number.

I've also had my morals ruined by playing among the kind of people who return other people's property....so I've doubtlessly "softened" a lot of folks by returning their discs instead of teaching them a lesson by keeping them.

I truly deserve punishment for these offenses. Keep my discs if you find them. I can't promise I'll do the same, though.

Agreed...if they didn't go to the hassle of fishing it out...they didn't want it bad enough. You did the work...I don't care if they see you playing with it on the course or not. They saw were it went in and DID NOT retrieve it. I know I just threw a new disc in water at my local course. I didn't go in after it and if I see someone playing with it sometime...more power to them. They got it...it's theirs.

Ok, now here is what happened to me;

I lost a disc over a fence and it landed between the fence and a bayou in some very think, waist tall grass. We had to walk two blocks just to get around the fence , and myself and two friends searched for the disc for quite a while. I found a JLS and a DX Aviar, but I didn't find my custom dyed Star Coyote. I was very bummed out, and I thought it was gone forever. Two weeks later, I got a call from a guy that found my disc. He said it looked like a special disc , and it must be missed. I met the guy, and offered him money, or a disc from my bag, but he didn't want either one. I was very happy to get my disc back.

Now, that being said, you can't say that someone threw their disc away in the water, or tall grass, and walked away. My disc was search for by three people. So you can't say these people just throw their disc in the water and walk off.

Ok, now here is what happened to me;

I lost a disc over a fence and it landed between the fence and a bayou in some very think, waist tall grass. We had to walk two blocks just to get around the fence , and myself and two friends searched for the disc for quite a while. I found a JLS and a DX Aviar, but I didn't find my custom dyed Star Coyote. I was very bummed out, and I thought it was gone forever. Two weeks later, I got a call from a guy that found my disc. He said it looked like a special disc , and it must be missed. I met the guy, and offered him money, or a disc from my bag, but he didn't want either one. I was very happy to get my disc back.

Now, that being said, you can't say that someone threw their disc away in the water, or tall grass, and walked away. My disc was search for by three people. So you can't say these people just throw their disc in the water and walk off.
Agreed. I think the reward you get from doing the right thing will outweigh whatever plastic you decide to keep.

Latest posts