• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Pig v Zone

The woodman

Bogey Member
Apologies if this one is repetitive. I need an upshot/headwind disc. Looking for something that will handle our West Texas winds and DIE at the basket.

zones are faster and typically more overstable (although plastics and weights affect this). zones tend to skip much more than a pig, pigs have a tendency to sit very close to where they hit.

zone people will tell you the zone is better, the pig people will laugh at them. read the above statement and decide which works best for you.

IMO, both fly like bricks. Which is a good thing, right? I used to bag both for a while. The Pig I have is a Pro Pig, which is OOP, and had some glide before the dump. The Zone I had was an ESP, and had little or no glide before the dump. The Pig was shorter than my Zone. But I could forehand the Zone easier. Eventually I got a Glow Gator, and the Zone left the bag. Now Pig and Gator are my overstable upshot discs of choice.

Good luck!

You should try Prodiscus Jokeri. Best overstable putter out there, it will stick where it lands, and hold up to any head wind. Used it for upshorts, long putts.

New is right. Zones skip quite a bit. If you must choose between a Pig and a Zone, go with an R-Pro Pig for a disc that won't skip much.

BUT, if you are looking for something new...

A new Soft Neutron Envy should be able to stand up to decent winds, and it sits nicely due to it's flexible, grippy plastic.

My main driving putter is a neutron envy. But I haven't tried the soft yet. Is it more stable than the normal neutron?

My main driving putter is a neutron envy. But I haven't tried the soft yet. Is it more stable than the normal neutron?

Preliminary reports (and what I saw) are that it is a tad bit more stable in the Soft version.

But I should say that no Envy I have thrown is as stable as a Pig. And nowhere near a Zone.

I'd highly recommend a Credo for this spot. But it's really just about finding something that clicks for you.

The answer is always Zone.

Ha! I've been using an ESP Zone for a few months now. Really like it. I find it to be very OS and fights winds very well. I can't get mine to fly very far and that aspect can be very useful.

I think most people here prefer the Zone because the rim. It is streamlined compared to the Pig. Both will get the job done but the Zone just feels better in the hand. I am not the first to point this out.

slower its a tweener. putter with high speed and beef. zones are great. paired with a Suspect and a Firebird and u can beat any Tejas wind

my vote is stop with the slow worthless discs. go nuke os. all the beef you can eat. you might even have leftovers.

all my over stable needs are covered by it and im always satisfied

I prefer Zones, but both will do very well in the wind. In my opinion, the main differences are that the Zone may skip slightly more, but it feels better for forehands, and it has a little less glide. The Pig will stick where it hits, but it flies a little differently.

Why not try both?

Also, I would like to add that the Envy is not what you're looking for. It's a good driving putter, but it's nothing like a Zone or Pig.

I was all about Zones up until about a month ago. Have myself a puddle top esp that is glorious and a cryztal flag stamp that is fantastic...both were bagged and everything I thought iI needed. Problem was was that I had to play the huge skips they get a lot. Especially at my home course at Fort Steilicoom, which during the summer all the fairways are short dead grass that the Zone would skip on for dayssss. Picked up a BT Harp per a friend's suggestion, telling him there's no way the Zones are going away...now, Zones are on the shelf. We'll see how this works out for me long term, but I just found the Harps to be much more usable...able to use them for an over stable slot as opposed to a utility slot. Same distance, but the Harp goes straighter longer...still with absolutely no turn. And best thing about them...they stick where they land for me. I could go on for hours re: these two discs, so I'll just leave it there for now. :)

I was all about Zones up until about a month ago. Have myself a puddle top esp that is glorious and a cryztal flag stamp that is fantastic...both were bagged and everything I thought iI needed. Problem was was that I had to play the huge skips they get a lot. Especially at my home course at Fort Steilicoom, which during the summer all the fairways are short dead grass that the Zone would skip on for dayssss. Picked up a BT Harp per a friend's suggestion, telling him there's no way the Zones are going away...now, Zones are on the shelf. We'll see how this works out for me long term, but I just found the Harps to be much more usable...able to use them for an over stable slot as opposed to a utility slot. Same distance, but the Harp goes straighter longer...still with absolutely no turn. And best thing about them...they stick where they land for me. I could go on for hours re: these two discs, so I'll just leave it there for now. :)

I can easly relate to this scenario. Have the ESP Zone and got tired of the unpredictable skips. Sometimes it skips a lot and sometimes it just get caught in the grass/roots/dirt etc. So I also tried the Harp in BT soft.
This thing is very overstable, allmost like the Zone and sits right were it lands allmost every singe time. So predictable its hard to believe.
After a few weeks my Harp is so cloved up that I cant find a nice comfortable grip on it. It really looks like a mountains terrain.
What Im getting at is, if you dont really care how the disc is gonna look, go for the Harp, but if youre a little girly about the appearence like me, maybe the softer Cryztal FLX Zone is the way to go. They are hard to get but soft and sticks more to were it lands... compared to ESP or even worse, Z.

I throw a 172g ESP Zone and I must say that it is not a meathook in my eyes as it will fly straight for a bit then fade. It's great for short hyzer/fade shots but I agree it does have a tendency to skip a lot which can be annoying.

Also that disc's plastic doesn't feel like typical ESP, it is hard and slick like Z plastic. Still a great disc to use, but not what I gather other Zones are like.