• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Played my first round ever!

Keep em coming guys, since Disc Nation has a range, I have made me a list of discs you guys are recommending and plan to throw as many as I can tomorrow. I"ve got another 8 friends and family members that i have gotten interested in this game by just posting pics on my Facebook, picking up a starter set for them tomorrow since Disc Nation has a 3 disc set for $15.

You might want to look at Discraft's misprint deal. (http://www.sportdiscs.com/misprints.html)

You can get a lot of good discs for really cheap there, the only that's "wrong" with them is the stamp isn't perfect but the discs are still fine. Also if you have a local disc golf shop or even a Play It Again Spots you could look through their used bins. This is a good way to get some discs without spending many hundreds of dollars. Enjoy. :)

I'm a course guide for many of the courses around the universal city area. Send me a private message if you need anything or want to try a new course around town. Tuesday is league night at Universal City. Come out around 5:30 and you will meet some great players. Best of luck to you !

seeing that your a forehand player .. the understable disc sutch as sidewinder and roadrunner wont be good sugestions as u will over power them and they will flip over into the dirt .. you say that u were doing good with a Valkrye .. and ok with a nuke .. id go with disc in between the two ..
Try looking at .. or throwing a friends ..or buying a ( Eagle - or - Wraith ) or maybe ( a Pulse or Surge )
All very exelent Beginer/intermediate Sidearm/Forehand disc ...
if u feal like working on your backhand then deff get a roadrunner sidewinder or avenger ss as they are nice and understable ( they wont hook mutch ) ......

BUt when you compair sidearm to back hand .......
You generate alot more rpm with the forhand and need slightly More overstable disc ...

ANYOne HAve any comments about My Sugestions ... ???

seeing that your a forehand player .. the understable disc sutch as sidewinder and roadrunner wont be good sugestions as u will over power them and they will flip over into the dirt .. you say that u were doing good with a Valkrye .. and ok with a nuke .. id go with disc in between the two ..
Try looking at .. or throwing a friends ..or buying a ( Eagle - or - Wraith ) or maybe ( a Pulse or Surge )
All very exelent Beginer/intermediate Sidearm/Forehand disc ...
if u feal like working on your backhand then deff get a roadrunner sidewinder or avenger ss as they are nice and understable ( they wont hook mutch ) ......

BUt when you compair sidearm to back hand .......
You generate alot more rpm with the forhand and need slightly More overstable disc ...

ANYOne HAve any comments about My Sugestions ... ???

Aside from your 15 spelling errors in a single post (sorry someone had to do it) Im not too much in agreement with your suggestions of throwing the Wraith, Pulse, or Surge. The Eagle, or a Teebird are great beginning Forehand discs.

These discs have enough stability to work with the snap of a Forehand, but not so much stability that they mask bad form, like a faster disc (Wraith and Surge) or more overstable disc (Pulse) may do. In addition, learning to throw understable discs forehand will also help clean out form issues. I've known many FH dominant players who primarily throw big flexing shots, and it costs them accuracy, improvement, and eventually distance. The sooner you learn to throw understable discs FH the more likely you'll be able to throw different lines FH and get a comparable distance to the typical Flexing FH "Power" shot.

The Eagle, or a Teebird are great beginning Forehand discs.

These discs have enough stability to work with the snap of a Forehand, but not so much stability that they mask bad form, like a faster disc (Wraith and Surge) or more overstable disc (Pulse) may do. In addition, learning to throw understable discs forehand will also help clean out form issues. I've known many FH dominant players who primarily throw big flexing shots, and it costs them accuracy, improvement, and eventually distance. The sooner you learn to throw understable discs FH the more likely you'll be able to throw different lines FH and get a comparable distance to the typical Flexing FH "Power" shot.

^Yeah this. If you really want a wicked FH then learning these discs are great. I don't FH but maybe 25% of a round and I'm a bit of a torque monkey so I throw a beat to hell Star Starfire personally but if I wanted to concentrate on mastering the FH, it would be an Eagle or Teebird for sure. (They're even better backhand too. ;))

hmm .. well everyone seems to disagree with me about my Sugestions ..
Have fun throwing Forehand rollers ......side arming roadrunners and sidewinders into the dirt
but w.e ......lol

Pick up a wraith .. and tell me u dont love it .. lol

Lol thanks guys!! I'll just get them all and learn to master every tool in my toolbox. As a newb I have been trying to overpower every shot, I'm realizing now that a good midrange disc would have suficed at UC yesterday. I think the longest hole was like 340'. My buzz gave me the best shots of the day and my putter did alot of work as well, thanks for all the feed back guys, I am loving this forum.

These guys are all full of it. They are trying to get you to get discs that wont work for you. What you should look into is the discs made by in-step. They have three discs that would be perfect for you. Also you should see if you can get your hands on a ninja, a boss, and a groove. They are like the best discs out there. Good luck! Hope to hear from you soon.

Welcome!

I suggest you use vikings because I know everything and would hate to see you play better than I do.

I agree. My first disc was a viking and it is still a go-to forehand disc.

If you have a chance I recommend playing Circle C Metro Park - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=542 and also Marymore Searight Park - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=934 They are both within a short drive from Disc Nation and are both great courses.:thmbup:

hmm .. well everyone seems to disagree with me about my Sugestions ..
Have fun throwing Forehand rollers ......side arming roadrunners and sidewinders into the dirt
but w.e ......lol

Pick up a wraith .. and tell me u dont love it .. lol

He won't be, because he'll learn good FH form off of those stable/understable discs. :\

Sidewinder is a great disc. I learned to forehand with it and it will teach you good form. It's also a great backhand disc as well. The Buzzz and Valk, which you mentioned are great ones too. I'd also suggest a Shark (Champ plastic if possible), Leopard, and Avenger SS for more distance. For putters, I think Gateway makes the best. The Wizard is awesome once you get to know it. If you want something less stable, the Magic is great as well.

A quick Primer on disc dynamics...

Just a few pointers about the Innova disc rating system, which I find to be the best:

1. Speed: This is the relative "speed" of the disc out of your hands. Also known as "wrist snap", the faster your hand/wrist speed, the "faster" disc you can throw. A speed 13 disc is designed to be thrown with much more wrist snap/hand speed than a speed 10 disc. All other ratings listed below are driven by the speed rating, so if you are throwing a 13 speed disc, like a Boss, Groove or Katana without the appropriate hand speed, your performance will suffer greatly. This is why many people get frustrated with these discs, as they just don't have the wrist/hand speed to get the disc to fly right.

2. Glide this is the amount the disc will glide with the wind. A higher glide rating will mean the disc will tend to stay in the air longer than one rated lower. This is a highly subjective rating, as conditions like headwinds, tailwinds, and cross-winds can affect this rating.

3. High Speed Turn: This is the "counter turn" which is the initial turn out of your hand. A typical forehand throw (right handed) will start to the left, then fade hard right at the end of the throw. These numbers are rated with a negative number, so the lower this number, the more "understable" the disc is. This rating is relative. So a 0 rating means the disc will not turn as much as one rated -4, which will turn quiet a bit.

4. Low Speed Turn/Fade: This is the rating for the fade of the disc when it runs out of energy. Once again, this rating is relative. These numbers are positive, the higher this number is the more "overstable" this disc is. All discs fade, even discs that are rated 0, like a Mako or a Dart. Keep this in mind for putting.

As far as a learning player, some good rules of thumbs:

1. Don't go crazy buying high speed discs. You said you bought a Nuke, which is a very high speed disc, so I would stay 10 and below for now. Higher speed discs are more sensitive to throwing errors, and thus are much harder to control with any consistency.

2. Tune your bag for different conditions. For instance, it might be a good idea to carry both a Tee Rex (11/4/0/4) and a Monarch (10/5/-4/1), as they basically are opposites and would be appropriate for different types of throws. For instance, you would use the Teerex on a hole that has a sharp right turn at the end, while the monarch would be useful for holes that fade to the left (assuming you're throwing a forehand right handed).

3. Use several putters and mids. I use a Dart(3/4/0/0), Mako(4/5/0/0), Stingray(4/5/-3/1) and Buzz(4/4/0/0) as putters/mids for differing conditions. The stingray is great for longer putts.

4. Have fun, and always remember, a bad day of disc golf is better than a great day at work!

A gazelle is great too, but sometimes can be hard to find in anything but DX, which with you being new will probably take a lot of abuse depending on your home course.

These guys are all full of it. They are trying to get you to get discs that wont work for you. What you should look into is the discs made by in-step. They have three discs that would be perfect for you. Also you should see if you can get your hands on a ninja, a boss, and a groove. They are like the best discs out there. Good luck! Hope to hear from you soon.

these guys are full of it?!? why would they recommend discs to him if they honestly didn't think they could work for him?

don't u think a groove or a boss is too fast for him....both are rated a speed 13 and all.......do you usually tell NEW players to throw the fastest plastic they can find?

are ninjas legal in PDGA play?

these guys are full of it?!? why would they recommend discs to him if they honestly didn't think they could work for him?

don't u think a groove or a boss is too fast for him....both are rated a speed 13 and all.......do you usually tell NEW players to throw the fastest plastic they can find?

are ninjas legal in PDGA play?

I think Great White was trying to be funny...trying.

Latest posts