• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing a course for the first time, in a tourney.

DiscFifty

Banned
There's several pdga tournaments I'd like to play, but they're far away and I won't have time to play them first. Other than getting information about the course from dgcr, how do you prepare for something like this? Thx.

I usually look at the course maps if available online, and try and youtube videos of past tourneys on the course to try and mentally game plan ahead of time. Then day of I try and walk through the course if thats feasible.

^^
Totally agree. I almost always play my best tournaments rounds on a first time course. You focus more on each individual shot rather than comparing it to what you have done in the past.

Try and get there early so you can walk all or some of the course.
If you don't do that....
Just make sure you KNOW where the basket is before you throw each hole

What they said.

And the times I've had to play a course totally blind---not even a walk-through---other players in my group have helped me out.

The degree to which it matters depends a lot on the course. On a tight wooded course, there may be routes that aren't obvious from the tee. On courses with big elevation changes, you almost have to throw them to get a bearing, because estimating, or even knowing, the distance isn't enough. On more open level courses, and courses with very distinct fairways, it may not matter so much.

If I arrive early enough to only practice a couple of holes, I'll try the must-birdie ones. Don't want to lose easy strokes just because I couldn't judge the distance or elevation accurately enough.

Not to be discouraging, but I've always had better luck with courses I've played a couple times. I've averaged around 930 at courses I've played and about 900 at courses I haven't. Then again, I'm consistently inconsistent.

I've played a lot of tourney rounds blind. My success rate seems to be about the same as on courses I know well, so it doesn't seem to be a major factor in how well I finish.

I try to look up pictures, maps, and hole info ahead of time, just to get an idea of what the course is like.

In the morning, I have tried to get there early to try to do a quick run-through of the course. But for me, that's counter-productive. It helps shot selection on one-or-two holes, but usually my first instinct tends to be the right one. But to do that, I have to break my normal warm-up routine which involves getting there early, throwing a few putts, tossing a few drives, and then relaxing a bit to get my head on straight.

The best thing you can do is try to get there a day early, or the weekend before so that you can give yourself plenty of time to feel out the course. If you can't do that, trust your instincts, listen to your cardmates, and stick to the high percentage shots.

Like others, I get there early enough for a walk- or run-through. One tip I got that was very helpful was walk it backwards (the course, not you). It gives you a different sense and view of the landing zones.

I really enjoy playing tourneys on new courses. I go in without expectations of how I'm going to do on each hole and it lets me get in the mode of just focusing on the next shot a lot easier. I like to jog the course and look at each hole forward and backward before the event if it's on a new course, but that only takes 20 minutes on most courses and makes for a good warmup.

Usually when I'm about to play a new course, I get there a little early and walk the course. Look for things like blind hazards and basket locations. That way there will be no surprises! Best of luck to you!

This is the kind of info that really helps, and comes only from experience so I greatly appreciate the comments and suggestions. Thank you! :clap:

1) Research the course via maps, you tube, etc.
2) Walk though the course forwards & backwards.
3) Spend some time focusing on birdie holes.

#2 is something I have never done, but this is brilliant. It allows you to take in the complete hole from tee to basket without the overhead of worrying about throwing. I can see how this would allow your senses to really take in the hole and subconsciously remember much more detail about each hole. Plus you can take notes to remind you of specific opportunities that each hole presents. :)

Feel free to correct or disregard me as a non tourney player (for the most part) but my second round at any course is better than my first unless I *happen* to be on fire for the first. I don't know how well that translates to your rating but I can't be the only one that feels this way.

Good luck!

If I'm going totally bind without any spare time to practice, I'll try and at least pay attention to what other players are throwing. It's especially helpful if I'm struggling and the locals are thriving. Sometimes you'll be surprised why the local hot-shots are throwing what they throw. I once played a course where this guy was killing it with a Dragon during tourney play.

#2 is something I have never done, but this is brilliant. It allows you to take in the complete hole from tee to basket without the overhead of worrying about throwing.

Also it sucks to lose discs during warmup. It's a bad feeling to be thrashing around in the brush getting frustrated when you know the TD is about to call 2 min and you're not even to your tee yet.

Usually my first play through I do better ;c
but research them. Just view the courses and youtube videos and mentalize your strategy.

Feel free to correct or disregard me as a non tourney player (for the most part) but my second round at any course is better than my first unless I *happen* to be on fire for the first. I don't know how well that translates to your rating but I can't be the only one that feels this way.

Good luck!

I believe I've seen statistics that, in tournaments, scores in second rounds average slight worse.

Conterintuitive, but presumably a matter of physical and mental weariness. (The pace of play, and lots of standing around, make tournaments more tiring than casual rounds). Either that, or players think they've got things figured out, and take riskier lines.

This is the kind of info that really helps, and comes only from experience so I greatly appreciate the comments and suggestions. Thank you! :clap:

#2 is something I have never done, but this is brilliant. It allows you to take in the complete hole from tee to basket without the overhead of worrying about throwing. I can see how this would allow your senses to really take in the hole and subconsciously remember much more detail about each hole. Plus you can take notes to remind you of specific opportunities that each hole presents. :)

You don't have to walk it forwards and backwards. I recommend walking it backwards, and turning around at the tee to look down the fairway.

It may seem odd, but if the course is full of people practicing, you can get around it faster going backwards, against traffic.

Latest posts